PDA

View Full Version : Ed Strongman

Genghis the Engineer
29th Mar 2016, 13:42
Airbus have tweeted today that Ed Strongman has passed away.

I know no more than that - but he was a gentleman to know, and a superb pilot to watch at Farnborough. My thoughts are with his family and colleagues.

G

Genghis the Engineer
29th Mar 2016, 16:10
This has just come from SETP. Rest in peace Ed.

The Society was saddened to learn of the “Last Flight” of Edward Strongman (M) due to cancer on Sunday, 27 March 2016. Edward was 66.

Edward graduated from Bristol University in 1971, later going on to be part of the graduating class of the USAF Test Pilot School 80A, as an exchange student from the Royal Air Force. During his time in the Royal Air Force, Edward was the Test Pilot, Commanding Officer of Test Squadron for Research Test Flying, RAE Bedford from 1980-1986. He later transitioned to Senior Test Pilot for the Civil Aviation Authority from 1986-1995. Edward’s final position was with Airbus from 1995 until his retirement in November 2014, where he served as the Military Chief Test Pilot, although he was involved in all civil programs, his focus was on the A400M. Edward was part of the A400M project since development, serving as the Captain for the first flight on 11 December 2009. Edward was also deeply involved in the systems and quality development that lead to the A400M receiving its EASA Type Certification on 14 March 2013. The A400M has gone on to be delivered to the Air Forces of France, Turkey, Malaysia, and Germany.

He is survived by his wife Jane.

G

John Farley
29th Mar 2016, 17:17
Oh dear. The genes we all draw from the pack can be hard.

Ed was one of the best tps of his generation and a lovely bloke.

NorthernKestrel
30th Mar 2016, 09:01
Obituary for Ed on the RAeS site...

Royal Aeronautical Society | Society News | OBITUARY - ED STRONGMAN (http://aerosociety.com/News/Society-News/4175/OBITUARY-ED-STRONGMAN)

asmccuk
31st Mar 2016, 14:12
Very sad news. I had the pleasure of working with Ed both when we were in the UK CAA and also at Airbus in Toulouse. A real gentlemen indeed.
Andrew McClymont

Flugplatz
2nd Apr 2016, 21:31
I only met Ed once, for the Wittering/MI5 Tom Cruise stunt. He gave an excellent brief and really came across as an old-school gentleman type. I rode along on the jump seat for the rehearsals and because they had to land as softly as possible, he really greased the A400 in, such that I hardly knew we had landed apart from looking out the windscreens. Don't think I've ever landed so softly in any large aicraft!

RIP

Vasco dePilot
11th Apr 2016, 14:12
Does anyone know what the funeral arrangements are?

happybiker
13th Apr 2016, 08:11
Vasco. Check your PMs.