PDA

View Full Version : BA CEP Last Attempt! HELP!!

jimbojumbo
3rd Mar 2001, 16:00
I know that many of you that read this forum are sick to the back teeth with guys like me who keep asking how to get into BA, but to be honest that's what this forum is for, I hope someone can help me and subsequently others to realise their ambitions.

I have applied to BA previously and have always stumbled at the numerical test in the assessment stage. I know also that the problem is the time pressure and not the content of the questions. It would be great if someone who has passed that stage could tell me about it, i.e. pass mark, best techniques to use to save time, etc.. I have been practicing but I thought i was prepared sufficiently the last attempt! This Will be my 3rd and final (Age). Also If they could rid me of worry over the group activity which is also something I have heard is a major stumbling block for a lot of people, by providing some tips for that. (Assuming I get that far!)

Any help would be great and would not only benefit me but also loads of others who are in the same boat and wish to become a pilot with BA.

Cheers,

Jimbo.

P.S. Sorry for Boring Anyone who has already made the grade.

[This message has been edited by jimbojumbo (edited 03 March 2001).]

BigTimeWannabe
3rd Mar 2001, 17:05
Hi,

I did my BA assesment on the 26 Feb, but unfortunately they wrote to me and said they will not be taking my application further this time!!! Bastards! Although I haven't asked them for feedback on where I failed yet.
To answer you questions, I read that the pass mark for the numerical test is 15/25 or 15/30 (sorry couldn't remember how many questions there were!) And you would be pleased to know we didn't have to do any group assesments, they were all individual tests.

So best of luck,

BTW

hasell
3rd Mar 2001, 18:42
JJ,
For what its worth mate. I've begun taking
part in the hiring of people at Assessment Centres for a certain blue chip company.

For what its worth in the group ex. stuff -basically you need to demonstrate that you are a team player, who contributes positively to the tasks at hand. Sounds like basic stuff. However I would urge caution -you musn't put on an act. Rather, demonstrate how you would naturally
behave in a group situation. I certainly would be suspicious of anyone pretending to be 'all things to all men'.

Good luck!

Sagey
4th Mar 2001, 22:57
Times always a worry on these numerical tests IMO.

I did one at Uni and was well above average for answers, but was just over average for number of questions answered in the time.

I think practice and practice is the way to deal with time, get hold of books etc and just do them under timed conditions.

I wonder if job centre etc run practice numeracy tests. There must be someone surely.

Best of Luck
Sagey

tiggerair
5th Mar 2001, 01:25
I also went for the aptitude assessments on the 26 feb and was fortunate enough to get through. if you have been before you already have a good idea of what is involved in the numeracy test. I did do loads of work to prepare for the numeracy and verbal reasoning, because i dont think you can really prepare for the computer based things, so give yourself the best shot by storming the parts you can prepare for. You need to pass all three sections, and the maths is 25 questions in 12 minutes, the rumour being the pass mark is 15, but it is a rumour. To practice, i bought loads of maths books- numeracy and how to pass numeracy tests and graduate test books, and went to the library to get examples and just kept doing them and doing them. I am not a maths genius like a lot of aviators,being engineer minded i have a B in GCSE maths and no more. The questions are basic numeracy- %, areas, additon etc. it is the manner in which they are worded and the time constraint that makes it a bugger. PPrune information helps, some of the questions are actually listed. Sad as it may be, just practice lots and time yourself, i spent weeks if not months brushng up on maths i hadnt done since GCSE and just kept re-doing examples of the kind in the tests. Its paid of for me, give it all youve got it is worth it . good luck.
Anyone with top tips for final board much appreciated

Finals to land
5th Mar 2001, 02:01
Hi JJ. Firstly, you are right - that's what this forum is for, so don't worry about asking for advice!!

My few tips would be:

Take a stopwatch, but turn the beeps off!

Sounds simple, by by allowing yourself 30 secs for each numeracy question, you could answer 24 in the 12 minutes given. Do NOT stare at a difficult question for too long - you'll just get flustered and lose precious time. Don't forget to leave a blank for your missed answer though - I nearly didn't!!! http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/redface.gif

Personally, I practised for quite a bit before I went, in terms of quick, simple calculations. Even knowing multiplication tables is helpful, and a having a good idea of long divisions/muliplications. I'm not saying that you'll definetly need that stuff, but it gets your brain thinking in terms of numbers well before you sit the tests. Just look for everyday examples where you can apply simple maths - adding up your shopping, etc!

Above all, good luck mate. Just do your best to be relaxed when you walk in, and don't focus on your perfomance before. You can do it, I'm sure! ;)

FTL

ROTATION
5th Mar 2001, 13:16
The easy and hard questions seem to be evenly spaced throughout the test. So any questions I couldn't immediatly see the answer to or see how to work out, or saw how to work out but decided it was going to take too long, I skipped and put a dot next to so I could quickly return to it after I'd done all the quick/easy ones.
Then 15 seconds before the end of the test I filled in all the blanks with random answers. Worked for me.
Also, ask for the test to be started as the second hand on the clock hits 12 - makes timimg easier to work out.

Each to their own however.

Good luck.

Sprawler
5th Mar 2001, 14:12
Timing yourself for each question can be dangerous. Generally you end up concentrating too much on the time you have left and this can actually slow you down. Just work through them as fast as you can. Don't delay on answering each question. If you don't know it just make an educated guess and move on.

matt747
5th Mar 2001, 18:06
Just a minor point, but do you get a scrap bit of paper to do your workings on or do you have to do it all in your head?

jollygreengiant
5th Mar 2001, 19:18
Don't drink most of a bottle of wine the night before, it won't help.

Hot&Heavy
5th Mar 2001, 19:40
A similar thread a while ago recommended this website for help with numeracy tests etc. It isn't intended specifically for pilots but anyone doing those sorts of tests and psychometric profiles for companies that put you through the hoops as part of the employment process.

Have a look at http://www.shldirect.com/

Cheers, H&H

str12
5th Mar 2001, 22:01
I've done the aircrew selection for the Fleet Air Arm (and passed..) and from experience the numeracy tests weren't too hard except there's a lot to do in limited time. In fact I missed one set of questions because I didn't read the question paper but still did OK.

Don't worry too much about not doing them all, if its like military aircrew selection they don't expect anyone to do them all but just achieve a certain standard. Obviously the better you do the higher up the list of successful candidates you will be.

Practise is the only way to improve, simple mental exercises like calculating the scores in a game of darts is a good example.

The team test for the RN and RAF (and I assume for Army) look for both team player and leadership qualities. Contributing toward the task at hand instead of sitting back and letting others make decisions; Don't be a wallflower but listen to - and accept - the opinion of others etc.

I wish I was young enough to apply but sadly I'm too old so that's one less competitor!

Anyway, practise, practise, practise and be yourself.

Best of luck to you.