PDA

View Full Version : ATSB

mickjoebill
28th Mar 2016, 01:22
Is ATSB serving the GA community effectively?
The fatal Jetranger crash in Queensland will be investigated by police.
But it was a complex aircraft, a commercial operation where the next job could have carried passengers.

The double fatality trike crash in Victoria was according to press, investigated by Recreational Aviation Australia investigators.
Yet this was a flight with a cameraman on board and full TV crew and contestants who also had been flying.

Today a crash in Lismore, where a practice landing came to grief, with no serious injuries, will be investigated by ATSB

Where is the logic?

Mickjoebill

Squawk7700
28th Mar 2016, 07:37
The trike crash was a non-commercial flight where the pilot and passenger had just met. The contestants for the show each did a TIF in an aircraft registered and operated by an RA-Aus FTF which was unrelated to this aircraft. Even if the passenger made a payment, verifyable or not, it doesn't change who investigates. After all, ATSB don't investigate RA-Aus crashes unless specifically requested to do so.

As for the 208, this makes sense to some extent particularly if it is blatantly apparent that the aircraft hit a power line whilst going about its' daily duties. Feel free to correct me if I am wrong.

Frank Arouet
28th Mar 2016, 08:27
They investigate foreign aircraft outside of their theatre of operations if it suits a political purpose or there is need for a surplus of cash collected to be amortized instead of the suffering the difficulty of refunding it. Can I suspect any jet operation is within their remit which would include a Bell Jetranger.
What goes on in self administered organizations that serve only to absolve CAsA from all responsibility and apportion blame elsewhere is probably within the terms of reference for ATsB but only if it involves a politician or someone who funds one and this, only if it provides the expected outcome.

onehitwonder
28th Mar 2016, 09:16
As an accident investigator - we are notified of accidents and incidents and have reports passed through from the officer in charge from then we deter if it needs further investigation or attention