PDA

View Full Version : GA-RIP?

Acrosport II
27th Mar 2016, 10:26
http://i1042.photobucket.com/albums/b422/jsn954/GA%20-%20RIP%20Customa_zpsyhma3sba.jpg (http://s1042.photobucket.com/user/jsn954/media/GA%20-%20RIP%20Customa_zpsyhma3sba.jpg.html)

Its very sad to see such Aircraft rotting away.

Is this really where GA is heading in Aus.

The C172 was a great aircraft. Apparently 43,000 were built.

Hire rate around $280 - $370ph locally. Ouch!

Squawk7700
27th Mar 2016, 11:06
It doesn't necessarily mean much... There are boats all over the country rotting away, power boats and yachts alike. Old cars where the passion has been lost, plus horse floats, racing cars and motorbikes. Owners lose interest and move on.

Personally I haven't noticed any extra abandoned aircraft in in my local area over perhaps the last ten years other than a couple of very old 172's that are beyond economical repair.

Clare Prop
27th Mar 2016, 13:33
At least the roos haven't all been shot like they have at Jandakot :(

Is that one really rotting away or does someone just need to get the mower out?

Hasherucf
27th Mar 2016, 13:42
If you approached the owner I'm sure he would tell you it's priceless. People need to get realistic on what a non SID's complaint Cessna is worth.

One advert on gumtree selling a 172 claims 'LAME maintenance is about the same as for car maintenance.'

So I don't know what all you owners are complaining about ;p

Cessna 172 H | Miscellaneous Goods | Gumtree Australia Margaret River Area - Margaret River | 1096159754 (http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/margaret-river/miscellaneous-goods/cessna-172-h/1096159754)

Acrosport II
27th Mar 2016, 23:58
At least the roos haven't all been shot like they have at Jandakot :(

Is that one really rotting away or does someone just need to get the mower out?

No, unfortunately this one may well be past economic refurbishment. (laymans opinion). (More than just a good wash or new paint job).

Would love to own my own C172, but probably not this one at any price.

Every Aircraft can be restored. They are still digging WW2 aircraft out of the mud and restoring them. Admittedly, they are then worth $2 million +, I assume the cost to restore is the same.

Clare Prop
28th Mar 2016, 04:03
With a paint job costing over $40G these days there are a few tatty ones around, doesn't mean they're not airworthy...I'd be more concerned about the bits of the aircraft you can't see (SIDS etc!)

TBM-Legend
28th Mar 2016, 06:26
$15-30K for strip/prep/corrosion control and two-pack on a car these days...An aircraft which is more complex and generally larger for not much more is a good deal...

GA needs to stop whining and take the high ground and get out to the airports and encourage your friends. I note the cost of power boating including marina fees etc is not cheap but plenty do it..

jas24zzk
28th Mar 2016, 09:14
$15-30K for strip/prep/corrosion control and two-pack on a car these days...An aircraft which is more complex and generally larger for not much more is a good deal...

As the owner of a panel shop, and having played with aeroplane parts whilst watching friends aeroplanes getting refinished, i completely disagree.

Aeroplane refinishing is over priced!

Aircraft refinishing is not more complex. its much much simpler due to the standard being so much lower. Where aircraft get more complex is in the paper trail for the removal and refit of parts.

Yes aircraft are larger, and yes they eat somewhat more material, but that size gives you scope to spread your imperfections.

Doing cars, anyone paying for a respray these days, is looking to front the show scene, so EVERY imperfection in the 'skins' needs attention and time. On an aeroplane, if you have a dent in a skin, chances are its just painted over.
Completely different standards, so really hard to make a statement that refinishing a warrior at 40 k is cheap compared to a car.

I've just finished a VE Valiant VIP...i.e final payment made today, client is collecting in the morning. Not all hours have been recorded, but those that have total 391 hours.

No crashna will have that much time thrown at it, unless its also going through sids and its rotten.

jas24zzk
28th Mar 2016, 09:21
One advert on gumtree selling a 172 claims 'LAME maintenance is about the same as for car maintenance.'

This guy clearly owns something like an audi Q7

Did one at 55,000 km. Brakes were shot.
$9500 retail price on the parts.....and i got stuff all mark up on em.

Old adage of "if you can afford it" i guess

Clare Prop
28th Mar 2016, 10:46
Absolutely Jas, the removal and refit of the control surfaces was 25% of the total cost last time I had an aircraft resprayed.

jas24zzk
28th Mar 2016, 11:13
i bet there were imperfections in the job that you would not accept on your car
:)