PDA

View Full Version : Transferring Excel worksheets.

Fareastdriver
25th Mar 2016, 17:44
My laptop was getting slow so I bought another computer. It's not new but it is faster and has a lot more memory and HD capacity than my old one.
The old one had W7 Home Premium 32 bit and the replacement has W7 Professional 64 bit.

I loaded Office 2007 with my own disc and started transferring files and docs. Everything went OK apart from Excel charts.

In the old one they are shown in My Documents with an Excel tag and in operation I have a shortcut on the desktop that brings it up. The new one won't do that.

The document is shown as a Word document with an XLS file description and when you bring it up it's just rubbish. The Excel in the Office program works because I have copied a worksheet by hand. However when you store it it goes to Documents where it is again tagged as Word so that when you bring it up it is again just rubbish.

Everything, but everything else has transferred flawlessly. It's just this.

Any ideas?

andytug
25th Mar 2016, 18:38
Right click on the excel file, select "open with" and select excel from the list - make sure you tick the box marked" always open with this program ". Should stick that way.
The other method is via tools-options in Windows Explorer, file association tab, and check all xls and xls files are associated with Excel.

Fareastdriver
27th Mar 2016, 16:07
When I select 'open with' it comes up with every Windows program except Excel.
The computer isn't recognising excel flies yet if I knock up one, send it to My Documents, transfer it via an sd card my old computer it receives it and shows it normally.

I may well have to reload Office.

Booglebox
28th Mar 2016, 03:37
File > Open in Excel. But yes, run the Office installer with the "repair" option, might help.

Fareastdriver
28th Mar 2016, 14:32
I have tried reinstalling but it doesn't come up with a repair function; only a list of files.

I have transferred from one to the other by downloading Open Office. That seems to have no trouble transferring everything across in the correct format.

One problem I have had before. How do you automatically totalise a columns of figure by highlighting them and clicking the bottom. The was a reversed Greek capital E that did it in excel. Where is the equivalent in Calc?

jimtherev
28th Mar 2016, 15:55
Answer here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPqT2cn4fOY

Fareastdriver
28th Mar 2016, 19:12
Tried that; too difficult. In the end I punched all the buttons looking to see what I could get. I hit one which had a long list of somethings and when I closed it another toolbar appeared with a function wizard and what I now know is the Greek letter Sigma.

All problems solved.

Thanks for the help.