PDA

View Full Version : Safety Question (Student Pilot)

YardStick9
24th Mar 2016, 00:29
Hi pprune,

I've recently started my private pilots license with a flight school. I'm not for a second trying to bag them out or pretend I know more than the instructor (Because I wouldn't even come close) but I do get a bit concerned when I see them dragging their light training aircraft around by the propeller. Specifically when waiting in line to re-fuel; instead of turning the aircraft back on my instructor will will pull it around via the prop. This usually means that the persons body ends up right in the disk of the prop as they lean back to get the aircraft moving. What if the circuitry for the magnetos is broken and one or both of them are live? Scared the crap out of me when they did it. Is this something that's normal or advisable? My understanding is that even a slight nudge of the prop could cause a spark plug to fire due to the impulse coupling and if there's some left over fuel in the cylinder... goodbye legs. I'll definitely bring it up with the person next flight lesson but just wanted to get some advice in the first instance.

On a lighter note, does anyone have any recommendations for a good log book for a student fixed wing pilot hoping to go through to to CPL?

Thanks in advanced.

Jabawocky
24th Mar 2016, 02:11
Yard Stick,

Pulling an aircraft by the prop, close to the hub not the tip, is a perfectly normal practise. No risk there.

Your fear of the slightest movement causing a start is a little excessive. Sure if the magneto grounding were faulty, or the mags were switched on, and you had sufficient del in the system and you had just the right movement (considerably more than from pulling the aircraft) you could start it. This practise has been in use since Adam was a little boy and Pontious was a student pilot, so do not distress. But DO make sure the magneto's are checked prior to shut down (Top of descent) and ensure the mags are off before moving the prop. :ok:

I would suggest you learn a bit more about what it takes to make an engine run. It is not anything like what you are fearing. I note you are in Brsibane and if you wish to contact me by Private Message I am happy to help you out. You may even be flying from my home airfield ;)

Feel free to drop me a line at davidbrown 'at' advanced pilot.com

Enjoy your flying training.

Jabawocky
24th Mar 2016, 02:12
And how about you turn on the PM function ;)

Styx75
24th Mar 2016, 02:37
And one needs to move the prop out of the way to get the tow bar attached (if the prop is straight up and down). I always take care when pushing a prop past its compression point in that case,,,

Interesting note: If an engine is very hot, it doesn't even need a magneto spark to fire (Usually only happens during the shutdown though, not once its been sitting idle for longer then 30 seconds or so).