PDA

View Full Version : NDB letdown GCLA rwy 19

Driver 170
23rd Mar 2016, 22:34
Looking at my Jepp/LIDO charts. It seems like jepp approve landing on rwy 19 by visual reference after D4, but my LIDO chart doesn't show the prescibed tracks. So which is correct? Can you land on rwy19 from the North or do you have that circle from NDB rwy01 ?

Jwscud
24th Mar 2016, 11:23
There is also an NDB approach to runway 19, but given the offset it is effectively a circling approach - the only minima are circling minima. It looks a pretty bloody tricky place to fly into reading the notes on the plates about turbulence, and it looks like one would be better off just doing a visual to a 2-3 mile final.

I think it's mostly the inter-island turboprops who go in there so they have a bit more nip and ability to cope with conditions than your average medium jet.

Note also that it advises that crew possess recent experience of the airport so it's probably rather sporting.

Driver 170
24th Mar 2016, 11:42
So because of the offset does that come under as a circling approach with PAN-OPS?

Yeh does look like island hoppers that mostly go into GCLA

lederhosen
24th Mar 2016, 21:47
I have been there a few times with the 737 and as far as I can remember have only landed to the north due to the prevailing winds. As the runway is too short for direct flights back we always do it as part of a triangle usually returning via Las Palmas. The airport can be quite hard to see. From the south at least there are large greenhouses which I remember as a prominent landmark before you turn final. The island and airport look spectacular, definitely an interesting trip.