PDA

View Full Version : John Travolta now F/O with Quantas...

Orca strait
25th Jun 2002, 16:33
SYDNEY (ABC) - Self-professed "airline geek" and actor John Travolta has earned a new pair of wings as a first officer for Qantas Airways.

He also unveiled a world tour to promote air travel that has weakened since September 11.

Travolta, an avid pilot and Oscar-nominated star of movies from Saturday Night Fever to Pulp Fiction, trained with Qantas and on 747 simulators at Boeing in Seattle and was now officially "Ambassador-at-large" for the Australian airline.

Shortly after, Qantas chief executive officer Geoff Dixon pinned the golden wings on Travolta, who was wearing a crisp blue aviator's uniform.

The actor called the moment "one of the proudest days of my life".

"Without crying here, I would say it's at least alongside the two Oscar nominations I've received in my career. It's right up there with that," Travolta said.

Travolta, 48, said as far back as when he was four-years-old, he wanted his own pilot's uniform.

He began taking flying lessons at age 16 and earned his jet pilot's licence in 1981. Since then, he has logged 5,000 hours of flying time.

"Besides my serious attitude toward flying, I have to admit something to all of you, I am an airline geek," Travolta said.

He has a son named Jett, and joked that he wanted to name his daughter "Qantas" but wife Kelly Preston wouldn't allow it.

Travolta said his new plans stem from a tour he took to Australia last summer to promote his action thriller, Swordfish.

Travolta owns a vintage Boeing 707 that was first flown by Qantas and when he arrived in Australia in the plane, he said, it caused quite a stir.

He asked to meet with Mr Dixon and told him if Qantas would return his 1960s plane to its original colors, he would fly around the world to promote the airline.

greatorex
25th Jun 2002, 17:11
There are two pages on this one over on JB:

John T Link (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=57608)

BJBATMAN
25th Jun 2002, 18:34
If he is a FO how come he was wearing a Captain uniform on CNN? And what is a Jet pilot license. I also thought american citizens couldn't work for quantus. I know all these things don't apply when you are rich and famous.

lfalconer
25th Jun 2002, 19:15
C'mon boys! at least spell it right!

Q A N T A S

Orca strait
25th Jun 2002, 19:27
Qantas it is...:o

rupetime
28th Jun 2002, 09:25
Surely if he wanted a pilots uniform since the age of 4 there are
far easier ways of getting one ????

Big Ron
28th Jun 2002, 11:32
Rupetime, Just like the old joke about the youngest son of a mega-wealthy business man- said that all he wanted was a "cowboy outfit"for his birthday so his dad bought him #####airways.

AMEX
28th Jun 2002, 13:12
I fail to see what's wrong with JT enjoying a bit of a career he might have wanted to have. There are a many people out there who have wanted to be a pilot from their young age but because such is life, ended doing something completely different. Some of them are struggling in their day to day routine and some are successful. Well I had been one of the successful kind (and very wealthy), I guess I would have done just what JT has.
Bought my own 70, warbirds, Lear and made the most of it.
At least he can enjoy the best of flying because he doesn't need to worry about losing his job, last minute roster change, eroding benefits, ect...

One of my ex bosses started to train for his CPL about 15 years ago. Failing to get a job quickly, he then started an aviation related business and thanks to that, he now owns a few Vantage jet fighter, flies as a display pilot and quite frankly, he is doing better than many of us.

I agree that somewhere he must still be missing not being an actual pro but in many other ways, I have no doubt he is a happy man.

rupetime
28th Jun 2002, 15:42
Big Ron - He would have a reasonably choice of cowboy outfit's these days !

Good luck to him - I hope he does his fair share of long flights, early starts and night stops away from Kelly and the kids.

I dont think this is totally new...doesnt a certain rock "star" fly
for our very own Astraeus ?

A320Flyer
3rd Jul 2002, 18:57
Money buys everything!!!
I wish JT safe flying around the world.

Regards,
Pedro
:)

striking a chord
4th Jul 2002, 20:20
:) I think its brilliant

well done John for following your dream

you can spend your money on anything you like you have earned it like us all

Australia should welcome you .........a good advocate for Quantas the best airline in the world

an experienced pilot and enthusiast I'll fly with you any day

good luck and well done Quantas

Brenoch
5th Jul 2002, 01:19
I´ve been flying jets for years and years now but I´ve still not managed to get my jet pilot's licence..

jetset445
5th Jul 2002, 01:19
John travolta actaully owns a 707{n707jt} and has just purchased a 747-200 cause the 707 is too small for his family trips

Flying Spaniard
5th Jul 2002, 13:03
JETSET445

Didn't he purchase one of the 747-SP from QF?
or did he purchase anything at all?

kbf1
5th Jul 2002, 18:29
Let's face it, he wouldn't be the first "star" to have joined an airline now would he? :D

Warning Star
6th Jul 2002, 07:24
JT did not purchase either QANTAS B747SP. Both VH-EAA and EAB are scrap at Pinal Airpark with their data plates removed.
He is retaining his beloved B707-138B.
No other purchase of anything bigger known.

Flying Spaniard
6th Jul 2002, 08:27
It is soo sad...
I twice did tpe-syd in august and september 2001 didnt even know i was on a SP until i looked at the safety card:eek:
I was chating along with one of the stweies and told them that i am also a flyer then he asked me why i didn't ask him to visit the flight deck i was about to make suicide there... i thought they didn't allow it anymore... (and it was pre 11/09) it was almost at descend to TPE so i couldn't go there anymore... since then i am so... sad that i didn't grap that chance:(
And knowing that they are both at a scrap yard now makes have a knot in my stomach....
JT should have bought one of them!!
Anyway...
Does anybody know whether it was EAAor EAB which i was on on these flights?
Greetings

littlee
22nd Jul 2002, 03:14
Posted by jetset445
John travolta has just purchased a 747-200.
Utter crap.

brakedwell
22nd Jul 2002, 06:20
During my long flying career I always wanted to be a film star, but could never afford the plastic surgery.

PitotTube
23rd Jul 2002, 15:35
http://www.airliners.net/search/photo.search?regsearch=N707JT

Orca strait
23rd Jul 2002, 16:52
Great pictures of a classic airplane. At a time when the airline industry has hit new lows in reputation and moral, John has reminded us of the honour, tradition and history of modern airline flight - well done! :)

Capt Pit Bull
23rd Jul 2002, 21:24
Good for him.

As a fringe benefit it should leave him less time to make a sequel to 'Battlefield Earth'.

CPB

Cripple 7
24th Jul 2002, 23:56
How many 4-strippers do they need to fly this plane?

Orca strait
25th Jul 2002, 00:54
If they are "strippers", I certainly wouldn't fly it - I'd be observing:D :D :D

christep
28th Jul 2002, 08:05
It is a pity though that he is doing this publicity stuff in a plane that isn't allowed in to various airports, such as HKG where there was an elaborate deception this week where he implied that he had landed here when in fact he had to go to Macau.