PDA

View Full Version : Explosions at Brussels Airport

DVR6K
22nd Mar 2016, 07:22
Two Loud Explosions Heard At Brussels Airport (http://news.sky.com/story/1664446/two-loud-explosions-heard-at-brussels-airport)

Airport being evacuated. Any news?

sitigeltfel
22nd Mar 2016, 07:25
Witnesses say it was at the American Airlines check in desk.

torquemada60
22nd Mar 2016, 07:33
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CeIpBwQXEAAK4lR.jpg

torquemada60
22nd Mar 2016, 07:44
Many dead reported by Police. Looks like a big explosion....
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CeIuVmmXIAAUTVX.jpg

kbrockman
22nd Mar 2016, 07:52
Reports of up to 11 death
Many wounded according to police and fire department

Denim and leather
22nd Mar 2016, 07:52
Belgian medias are speaking about; 11 peoples killed and 25 injured another explosion close to the tarmac.

kbrockman
22nd Mar 2016, 08:04
Third bomb package found, further evacuation of Airport.
DOVO military demolition at the scene

unworry
22nd Mar 2016, 08:20
Terrorist level 4 (highest level) has now declared throughout Belgium and military have been deployed at Charleroi Airport (Brussels South)

unworry
22nd Mar 2016, 08:22
Explosion in the subway station Schuman as it was being evacuated just now.

KNIEVEL77
22nd Mar 2016, 08:24
Reports of another blast at a Metro station near the EU building.

unworry
22nd Mar 2016, 08:28
Explosion at metro station of Malbeek is CONFIRMED (near to EU HQ).

All rail services have been shut down and Brussels Central is being evacuated

unworry
22nd Mar 2016, 08:43
airport

SFW
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CeI7YWJWAAAmNsZ.jpg

The SSK
22nd Mar 2016, 09:02
Maalbeek is about half a mile outside the city centre ans serves mainly the EU Parliament. Schuman (much busier) is about half a mile further down the line and serves mainly the Commission. My impression was that first reports mentioned a metro close to the institutions and was assumed to be Schuman

oggers
22nd Mar 2016, 09:07
The security industry will see an opportunity here to expand their empire. Prof David Begg (chairman of security and risk at Heathrow) is already justifying increased security measures landside "even if it means inconvenience, even if it means more delays, even if it means flying becomes more stressful". The intelligent response would be to find ways to enhance security without increasing inconvenience, delays and stress. But whatever we do the public will not be safer because the terrorists will just move on to anywhere else that people gather. The key thing in aviation is to stop terrorists and bombs getting onto planes or getting through to the most crowded areas airside.

22/04
22nd Mar 2016, 09:13
One easy measure though not foolproof is to prevent anyone other than passengers entering airport terminals. It's done in India, - oh before everyone shout's and employees, crew etc.

kilomike_19
22nd Mar 2016, 09:17
More than 20 flights diverted...
Brussels Airport Website: Arrivals (http://www.brusselsairport.be/en/passngr/flinfo/arrivs/)

Bergerie1
22nd Mar 2016, 09:18
Amidst all the publicity these attacks generate it is easy to forget that the every day risks we face all the time are greater then the risk of being killed or injured by a terrorist.

Mark in CA
22nd Mar 2016, 09:19
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y60wDzZt8yg

RoyHudd
22nd Mar 2016, 09:21
Terrorism kills innocent folk, in addition to the everyday risks we all take. It is unjustifiable.

Jester Wester
22nd Mar 2016, 09:22
One easy measure though not foolproof is to prevent anyone other than passengers entering airport terminals. It's done in India, - oh before everyone shout's and employees, crew etc.
One airport that I frequent as a passenger uses sniffer dogs before you enter the terminal and bags are then x-rayed at the terminal entrance door

I-AINC
22nd Mar 2016, 09:25
Guess who has been arrested 2 days ago.

This is the reply of these insane criminals. We can increase the level of security until we stop the aeroplanes on the tarmac, never will change and we will never reach 100% of security.

unworry
22nd Mar 2016, 09:33
Flights inbound to Brussels diverted to Liege and Oostende.

Worryingly, CDG is now on high alert.

HeartyMeatballs
22nd Mar 2016, 09:35
If I'm honest I'd expect CDG to be on high alert anyway. It shouldn't take an attack a few hundred miles away for them to increase it in CDG knowing that France is a major target and CDG is a massive hub.

2dPilot
22nd Mar 2016, 09:35
Not to belittle from the fact that innocent soles have died and been injured, god help them all and their relatives and friends.
But there is nothing we can tell about the size of the explosion from the photos shown above. The vast majority of the debris I see are ceiling tiles, these only weigh a few ounces each and are not fixed, they simply lift and slide out for easy access. A very large percussive firework could unseat and bring down many tiles. Other more substantial items, like departure boards seem largely unaffected.
Not that I am saying the explosion wasn't large, just that the pictures themselves don't prove it.

HeartyMeatballs
22nd Mar 2016, 09:39
True, polystyrene tiles don't take much to harm. However there's 20+ people dead. This was not amateur firecracker.

ILS27LEFT
22nd Mar 2016, 09:44
Armed police officers and sniffer dogs at each airport entrance please, at least it will help a bit as a deterrant. Airports are nevralgic centres for entire countries. What happened in BRU is extremely easy to repeat, we have to learn to live as they do in Israel and be more pro active and extremely vigilant.

Dufo
22nd Mar 2016, 09:57
In this case you only move the potential hotspot one step backwards, not eliminating it.

RAT 5
22nd Mar 2016, 10:04
One easy measure though not foolproof is to prevent anyone other than passengers entering airport terminals. It's done in India,

Just buy a ticket.

ZFT
22nd Mar 2016, 10:05
Armed police officers and sniffer dogs at each airport entrance please, at least it will help a bit as a deterrant. Airports are nevralgic centres for entire countries. What happened in BRU is extremely easy to repeat, we have to learn to live as they do in Israel and be more pro active and extremely vigilant.

The problem with this type of reaction is that 'they' have then won.

No one would ever accept this type of security at a railway station yet they too are targets so why should aviation be treated any differently.

The objective surely is not to just prevent attacks but to permanently 'eradicate' the individuals responsible.

1sky
22nd Mar 2016, 10:08
Not to belittle from the fact that innocent soles have died and been injured, god help them all and their relatives and friends.
But there is nothing we can tell about the size of the explosion from the photos shown above. The vast majority of the debris I see are ceiling tiles, these only weigh a few ounces each and are not fixed, they simply lift and slide out for easy access. A very large percussive firework could unseat and bring down many tiles. Other more substantial items, like departure boards seem largely unaffected.
Not that I am saying the explosion wasn't large, just that the pictures themselves don't prove it.

Some of the ceiling tile photos also show a few dead bodies.

Ogre
22nd Mar 2016, 10:27
What was the quote? "The price of eternal vigilance is eternal vigilance"> There is an attack, the security levels go up, we all put up with it for a while then we get antsy, the cost needs to be reduced, the threat level goes down and we all get complacent. I recall a comment from the chief of police somewhere who observed that the terrorist only had to get lucky once, they had to be lucky all the time.

As the news headlines roll on my thoughts are with those who are directly affected, but also with those who have to deal with it, the police, fire and ambulance crews who are first into those blast sites and who are searching for other potential devices, and also for the intelligence services and the security staff who will be haunted for years to come with the doubt that they may have missed something that would have prevented it.

I never complain about security at airports and other terminus, because I know it is there for my protection. So perhaps we need to start thinking of new ways to mitigate the threat, to eliminate the need for the security in the first place.

SilsoeSid
22nd Mar 2016, 10:50
No one would ever accept this type of security at a railway station yet they too are targets so why should aviation be treated any differently.

http://www.nrm.org.uk/img/nrm/worksphotos/Euston/1997-7409_LMS_9282.jpg

jolihokistix
22nd Mar 2016, 11:32
RoyHudd: "Terrorism kills innocent folk, in addition to the everyday risks we all take. It is unjustifiable."

Some people are so sure it is justified that they will kill themselves and go to Hell for eternity for it.

jiggi
22nd Mar 2016, 12:14
RoyHudd: "Terrorism kills innocent folk, in addition to the everyday risks we all take. It is unjustifiable."

Some people are so sure it is justified that they will kill themselves and go to Heaven for eternity for it.

There, fixed it for you.

IMHO no religion has place in civilized society.

mightyauster
22nd Mar 2016, 12:21
I totally agree jiggi!
My sympathies to the innocents affected by this heinous and unnecessary crime in Brussels today.

Jet Jockey A4
22nd Mar 2016, 12:44
I don't know if it is a coincidence but when we arrived there last Wednesday we were told that for our departure on Friday (March 18th) to expect delays trying to get into the airport area due to increased security.

There was at the time in Brussels a very big European Commission assembly and meetings about the immigration situation with the refugees from Syria and the threat of terrorism.

ILS27LEFT
22nd Mar 2016, 13:07
This has been done many times in the past, e.g 27 Dec 1985 Rome and Vienna airports. Unfortunately airport security must start from before entrance into the Terminals, if the terrorists today decided to attack simultaneously LHR, CDG, BRU, AMS, LIN/MXP and so on as an example, the entire economy of Europe will be in serious trouble together with the lives of millions of people in addition to the casualties on the ground. It is too easy to do and airports are excellent targets in the eyes of terrorists. I know we cannot cover and screen the entire transportation hubs in each country but airports are too important and if we do not act now there will be more attacks like this one. It has been another very successful attack in the eyes of the terrorists, and we cannot disagree, this is a war, they have done it before and they will try to attack our airports again, unless we stop the attackers before those suitcases full of explosive together with their AK47 rifle reach the check in area and Terminals. There is nothing more clever we could do now..:mad: If we do not act now more airports will very likely be attacked in the same way. I am sure, would be terrorists keep emulating their colleagues and this attack is huge publicity for them and their tactics. Review of airport security to include landside will be painful and very frustrating but we have no choice I am afraid.

Tourist
22nd Mar 2016, 13:18
ILS27

Have you actually thought about what you are saying?
The terrorists blew up at the point before security.
They can do that no matter where you put security, because that is where you actually have security.
This has to be indoors for obvious reasons, and will obviously involve lots of people with bags.
No matter where you do it there will always be a big room full of people where you go through security.:ugh:
It makes no difference how far from the aircraft you put security. There will always be a point for them to strike.

OldLurker
22nd Mar 2016, 13:45
The usual wild over-reaction. Stable door not only shut but guarded with great theatre - the whole of Brussels in lockdown, nationwide panic, neighboring countries increasing border checks (in the Schengen area!), etc. Brown people put in fear, randomly thrown off flights (e.g. Easyjet the other day), women in hijab spat at or worse, and so on. Just what the terrorists want.

ILS27LEFT
22nd Mar 2016, 13:54
Tourist: do you really believe that a suitcase that explodes inside a crowded Airport Terminal would do the same damage inflicted by a suitcase that explodes outside the Terminal?
1985: I remember very well FCO airport after the terrorist attack there, for many years after the attack of 1985 the Italian authorities placed two heavily armed Police/Carabinieri personnel at each airport entrance, together with sniffer dogs, no metal detector needed, they were just asking for a ticket and quick screening through profiling, minimum disruption but very effective in my opinion. Nobody else allowed landside unless you travelled. Very easy to implement, this type of "profiling" / quick screening is carried out in many high risk airports around the world, disruption & cost are minimal, however the deterrent factor in my opinion is significant. This would certainly not stop the detonation but what happened today in BRU would have had a different outcome (similar to the Stadium in Paris, basically a failure for the terrorists - open space explosions are failures compared to indoors explosions) if those guys were stopped before entering the Terminal. Terrorists would not target an airport again if they knew they would kill only two guards and a few people in a queue outside an airport entrance. Very simple. Airports are too important to be shut down as BRU is today. I am sure the security at BRU will involve quick checks before entering the Terminals from tomorrow morning.:mad:

2EggOmelette
22nd Mar 2016, 14:16
Quite right OldLurker. However, unfortunately that is what will happen anyway, regardless. It is not a traditional symmetrical fight. This kind of battle cannot be won, history proves that, and the enemy knows this. All that can be done is to mitigate the impact and fervently hope that it dies away one day, just like the troubles with the IRA. Increased security at terminal entries has been done before and will have to happen again. There simply is no other answer in the short term.

Titania
22nd Mar 2016, 14:50
If anyone wants to repeat such events, they will regardless of any security measures, which are only designed to calm the fears of passengers, and certainly not to thwart such happenings. And don't tell me about Rome and Vienna, because three weeks after those events, I was able, without any sort of authority, to drive a friend in my little red French car on a Swiss airport, by a side road, park under the wing of a biz jet, deliver the person, go out of the airport, come back as something had been forgotten, park under the nose of said jet. All that without anything asked other than my ID for my non-aviation related work, crossing the path of a patrolling tank in full view of snipers. And what I have seen of the layout of airports while travelling is certainly not conducive to my feeling safe from these maniacs.

AirScrew
22nd Mar 2016, 14:54
The usual wild over-reaction. Stable door not only shut but guarded with great theatre - the whole of Brussels in lockdown, nationwide panic, neighboring countries increasing border checks (in the Schengen area!), etc. Brown people put in fear, randomly thrown off flights (e.g. Easyjet the other day), women in hijab spat at or worse, and so on. Just what the terrorists want.

OL. So what do you propose as an alternative? No guards?? I really don't see your comment as constructive.

Longtimer
22nd Mar 2016, 15:24
Now if we can move away from Religion and discuss other issues like airport security that would be far more constructive. end quote
Sadly either conversation would be equally constructive, in other words completely useless in achieving any resolution.

sitigeltfel
22nd Mar 2016, 15:49
Three suspects caught on video grab...

http://www.laprovence.com/media/imagecache/mobi_sliderHome/2016/03/22/suspects-afp.jpg

Romaro
22nd Mar 2016, 15:49
I should think there are nowhere near enough trained sniffer dogs to adequately fulfill what may now be a change in policy regarding land-side terminal surveillance. Was told once a dog (and their handler) could earn £1000 a day as a sniffer - anyone able to verify that? Might be a use for useless mutt after all.

Ex Cargo Clown
22nd Mar 2016, 16:34
There are a thousand holes in aviation security. It's just how to mitigate them. If you sop the problems at the source, you stop the problem.

poorjohn
22nd Mar 2016, 17:24
ILS27LEFT deserves more attention, especially from people who can make it happen. His point boils down to a quick pre-screening at a place where an explosion would cause no headline-worthy damage, with controlled access from that point on. The only difficult thing about it is making sure it's comprehensive but quick enough so that a crowd of humans never forms.

Anecdotally, we joined the million humans at Brandenburg Tor last New Year's Eve - with some trepidation, given the threat environment and magnetic appeal of a million bodies waiting to be blown up- and found the police had (among many things) implemented just that, a very quick remote checkpoint. Easier than at an airport, since people didn't come with trollies of luggage.

Mad (Flt) Scientist
22nd Mar 2016, 19:24
@poorjohn Isn't that pretty much the Israeli SOP? i seem to recall an interview with an Israeli expert (consultant?) who expressed a degree of horror at the "standard" security at most airports.

RexBanner
22nd Mar 2016, 19:51
ILS27LEFT Put security outside the terminal and you will have a bunch of jihadis unloading rounds of ammo from AK-47's on the waiting crowds outside. They don't have to use bombs to kill a boat load of people, as they proved in Paris. As someone else pointed out, you can put security further and further back, the problem will still remain.

MG23
22nd Mar 2016, 20:24
i seem to recall an interview with an Israeli expert (consultant?) who expressed a degree of horror at the "standard" security at most airports.

Can you even begin to imagine the number of people you'd have to hire to implement Israeli-style security at Western airports without crippling the aviation industry?

Ain't gonna happen.

tdracer
22nd Mar 2016, 20:53
Can you even begin to imagine the number of people you'd have to hire to implement Israeli-style security at Western airports without crippling the aviation industry?

Ain't gonna happen.

Of course, even if you did successfully 'harden' all the airports, the attacks would simply move to other 'soft' targets - other places where crowds tend to form - subway/train stations, buses, movie theaters, restaurants, etc.

Hotel Tango
22nd Mar 2016, 21:09
Of course, even if you did successfully 'harden' all the airports, the attacks would simply move to other 'soft' targets - other places where crowds tend to form - subway/train stations, buses, movie theaters, restaurants, etc.

Exactly. There is no 100% defence against terrorism and suicide bombers/attackers.

I have always been bemused when I saw armed police at airports/railway stations (such as Brussels by the way). What protection does that offer the public against a bomb in a suitcase or backpack?! The problem needs to be dealt with at source, which is what they try to do, but it's a steep uphill battle which will also never be 100% successful. In some parts of the world suicide bombings/attacks are almost a daily occurrence, so all in all I think we have got off pretty lightly over here.....so far!

Captn_Kirk
22nd Mar 2016, 22:08

Then they will blow them up just before they enter the terminal.

Have you seen the queues at the entrance in India?
This could be as deadly as inside the terminal, if not more.

The real solution is intel. Stop the terrorists before they execute their plan.

captplaystation
22nd Mar 2016, 22:45
tdracer

"Of course, even if you did successfully 'harden' all the airports, the attacks would simply move to other 'soft' targets - other places where crowds tend to form - subway/train stations, buses, movie theaters, restaurants, etc."

I agree 100%, but, at least if they did that I could come to work a bit safer & then make a choice for the rest of my life as regards "mingling with the crowds" etc. . . . selfish I know, but. . . . . .

SeenItAll
22nd Mar 2016, 22:55
Security at Narita airport in Japan starts outside the airport. If you come in by road (cars and buses), you have to go through the equivalent of a customs checkpoint. Similarly to get out of the airport train station.

There are many airports in the U.S. (e.g. Denver) that charge a fee for entering (all by motor vehicle). It wouldn't be impossible to have an inspection at these toll gates -- which are located about a mile or two from the terminal.

Mesoman
22nd Mar 2016, 23:02
For all the complaints about security and security theater, it has succeeded in preventing another 9-11 style attack. We can never totally secure travel, but preventing hijacking is more important than preventing attacks on civilians waiting in line. Likewise, preventing sabotage that leads to fatal accidents is more important.

As to how to reduce the casualties at checkpoints... the discussion will no doubt proceed and some progress will no doubt be made.

parabellum
23rd Mar 2016, 00:42

Give the job to the military, all three services.

jugofpropwash
23rd Mar 2016, 00:47
I should think there are nowhere near enough trained sniffer dogs to adequately fulfill what may now be a change in policy regarding land-side terminal surveillance. Was told once a dog (and their handler) could earn £1000 a day as a sniffer - anyone able to verify that? Might be a use for useless mutt after all.
Do I remember hearing about some sort of technological chemical sniffers? Could those not be placed at the entrances to airports (and train stations, stadiums, etc)?

It seems to me that a lot of problems could be solved by separating travelers from their luggage. The fees for checked luggage resulting in more carry-on bags (and more people lugging their bags through the airport) would seem to be counter productive from a safety perspective. It would seem to me that a better solution would be to do away with carry-on and have the bags checked as soon as the person arrives at the airport. And if you really want to be safe, put all the people on one plane, and the bags on another. Few terrorists are going to be bothered blowing up a plane full of baggage.

Piltdown Man
23rd Mar 2016, 01:08
Take the gloves off and start being non-PC. The solution, or mitigation at least is as complicated as the problem itself, but we could start by using old fashioned PCs to sniff out the wierd ones, the ones who don't look right and those behaving strangely. But keep them fresh. Week after week at an airport will dull their senses. Make it easier for the general public to dob in their neighbours; like when matey boy next door, who doesn't work, shaves his beard off or takes delivery of very large parcels. Use profiling to hunt out the ner-do-wells and track down the miserable murderers through their laptops and their electronic trails. Yes, you'll get it wrong a few times, but that's just tough. And while we are here, we have to change our laws so those who get turned over have little or no comeback. And if you don't like it, you can always move somewhere else. And whenever we do catch the scum, lock them up for a long time, deporting those without British citizenship on release. But for Christ's sake, don't let airport security personnel get involved; I want proper protection.

Let's not insult those families who have lost loved ones by rolling over and doing little else

PM

MG23
23rd Mar 2016, 01:15
There are many airports in the U.S. (e.g. Denver) that charge a fee for entering (all by motor vehicle). It wouldn't be impossible to have an inspection at these toll gates -- which are located about a mile or two from the terminal.

Then you get queues at the toll gates, where they set off truck bombs.

Anywhere that security causes queues will be an obvious target for terrorists to attack. The only long-term solution is to get rid of the terrorists.

b1lanc
23rd Mar 2016, 01:25
tdracer
Don't disagree that it could be attempted. However, transportation still seems to be the target of choice and I expect it to remain so for a reason. It is woefully weak in security posture. Better security at every football/baseball game here.

parabellum
On the money!

unclenelli
23rd Mar 2016, 02:33
If John Smeaton (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Smeaton_%28born_1976%29) has any of that donated booze left over, it may have found a new home with a fellow Baggage-Handler (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3505022/Hero-airport-worker-pulled-seven-wounded-victims-safety-Brussels-terror-blasts-eye-witnesses-apocalyptic-horror-inside-terminal.html).:D

ExSp33db1rd
23rd Mar 2016, 03:20

Can't quote the timescale now, but I was visiting California a few years ago, when the local Press published that the staff car park at LAX was easy for anyone to use, "illegal" obviously, but there was no check made, and more to the point no check was made of those who boarded the shuttle bus which then went AIRSIDE without being stopped ! I hope the system was changed as a result, but don't hold your breath.

Meanwhile ... bond fide passengers were, and are, being given the 3rd degree to board their aircraft.

Sadly - the Bad Boys will do exactly what they want to do precisely whenever they want to do it, and as has already been stated, aircraft were once a 'soft' target and hit the headlines, making them more difficult, and I'm not suggesting we shouldn't, will only shift the targets. San Bernadino, Paris, now Brussels - where next, railway stations, theatres ?

ExXB
23rd Mar 2016, 09:58
Security checks were stepped up at Swiss airports and at the borders amid nervousness following the Brussels attacks.

There was a high presence of armed cantonal police at Zurich airport on Tuesday, the Tages-Anzeiger reported.

Several dozen police officers were checking passengers in the arrivals and departure halls of Switzerland’s biggest airport.

However, the Federal Office of Civil Aviation, which has the power to order a higher level of security at Swiss airports in view of a heightened threat had not done so, the paper said.

The Swiss Border Guard had also stepped up its checks in international trains and at border points, a spokesman told the paper.

The Federal Intelligence Service said on Tuesday it had no evidence of a specific threat to Switzerland.
Flights disrupted after Brussels attacks - The Local (http://www.thelocal.ch/20160323/flight-disruption-continues-after-brussels-attacks)

Basil
23rd Mar 2016, 12:04
Give the job to the military, all three services.
Whilst, on the face of it, that seems workable there are problems:
The mil are maxed out with other commitments.
Unlike the police, they aren't trained for day to day civil ops.
e.g. BasS2 is suntanned, has a beard and is given to wisecracks (although I'm sure he wouldn't make any of the obviously stupid ones) - see where I'm going here?

Lonewolf_50
23rd Mar 2016, 13:03
Give the job to the military, all three services. Poor idea. This is a security/police function. The military are a "go out and get 'em" organization.

sitigeltfel
23rd Mar 2016, 13:09
The military are a "go out and get 'em" organization.

Maybe that's what is needed.

sabenaboy
24th Mar 2016, 07:47
Originally Posted by jolihokistix View Post

Some people are so sure it is justified that they will kill themselves and go to Heaven for eternity for it.
There, fixed it for you.

IMHO no religion has place in civilized society.

This FB-post (https://www.facebook.com/notes/stef-gijssels/dear-terrorist/10208516476891032) from a Belgian is a better reply:
"Dear terrorist,
You just blew yourself up. And you blew a dozen other people to pieces too.
So what happens now? Nothing.
You will not even realise that heaven was denied to you. You will not even realise that there is no hell. You will not even realise that there is no soul that survives you. No virgins waiting for you. No. You are no longer.
Just like the dozen other people. Their life ends here. Now.
You are not a hero. You are a gullible, naive kid. You were manipulated by older, also naive and gullible people. You were heartless and cruel. Your manipulators are heartless and cruel. And stupid.
What have you achieved? Nothing. The only thing you created is sadness and indignation. Sure, you have created antipathy for your god. You have created some more islamophobia. You have created some more racism and you have limited the chances of your family and friends and compatriots to build a normal life in Europe.
You are no longer. In a few days your mess will be cleaned up. Life will continue as before. The indignation will fade with your memory. Only the sadness will remain among the families of your victims. And my words will never reach you even. You are no longer.
You have missed all the chances to be someone. You have ignored the opportunities to become somebody. You have taken the wrong route. The route into nothingness. You were nothing. You are nothing."

MrSnuggles
24th Mar 2016, 09:49
sabenaboy, thanks for that link! I of course re-shared it to whomever it might concern.

Now to my own thoughts on this crazy stuff... and I am not going to use fluffy-puffy huggy language here. Let's call an idiot an idiot, ok?

So. These idiots are most likely some local dudes. Studies have shown that second generation immigrants are more likely to be involved in terrorist stuff*. These idiots are unhappy with things as they are not to their liking. Instead of moving to a place more to their liking they want to transform their surroundings to obey their liking. (Which in itself is never justifiable.)

Now, Europe has seen an unprecedented influx of refugees from the war crimes in Syria. I would think this would make the local idiots happy, now there are more people they have common ground with, right?

No. Instead they blow up Brussels.

This is insane thinking on so many levels. I can't even comprehend them justifying this. I know there are some passages about infidels in the Koran, but.. ARE YOU ******* KIDDING ME? In Europe we realised that holy wars were obsolete sometime around 1200 AD. The Islamic calendar is 600 years behind, but you'd think they too would have realised this around 1200 After Muhammed.

*In Sweden we have hundred of thousands of second generation Finlanders, we have large amounts of second generation Germans, Chileans, ex-Yugoslavians and various other nationalities. None of those has ever been subject to a terrorist investigation. Why are there only people from the ME blowing up stuff? Hmm?

Bergerie1
24th Mar 2016, 12:44
I don't normally rate the Daily Mail, but this article may help to explain some of the issues that motivate these terrorists:-
Why will no one admit the way some western Muslims raise their children is fomenting terror? | Daily Mail Online (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3507086/Why-no-one-admit-way-western-Muslims-raise-children-fomenting-terror.html)

Hotel Tango
24th Mar 2016, 14:41
They are going to keep hitting airports and train stations because those are node/choke points where targets are collected in a small area. Sports events as well.

There are many more even softer targets with just as many people milling around. They will never run out of suitable targets.

Bobbsy
25th Mar 2016, 05:51
Exactly right, Hotel Tango...as proven by the attacks in Paris at the end of last year. There it was a rock concert, restaurants and bars.

Moving security for airports outside the building would just result in moving the target to the queue of people waiting to go through security.

Rwy in Sight
25th Mar 2016, 07:17
sabenaboy,

Not a very smart response (maybe the guy should go back to his beer and "frites"). The guys blowing up themselves in Zaventem and Maalbeek metro station firmly believed that they were going to meet the virgins and hurt the enemy they did destroy some infidels, they may keep some people from enjoying their life etc. Some people may end up out of job - SABENA shut down after the 2001 attacks didn't it?

I am not religious and I often do what other people including cops would say is blasphemy believing it dos not matter because there might not be a God. However a deeply religious friend pointed out how do I know that for sure. So if these guys believe the story about virgins and hurting the enemy (and to some degree he might be just be right) I am afraid no matter how eloquent the FB posts are as useful as the proverbial chocolate kitchen glove.

Should we look how the small country with the white and blue starred flag treats people making nasty thinks to its citizen?

And yes I believe that no matter where you put a crowd you create a target.

timmermc
25th Mar 2016, 08:37
sabenaboy,

Not a very smart response (maybe the guy should go back to his beer and "frites"). The guys blowing up themselves in Zaventem and Maalbeek metro station firmly believed that they were going to meet the virgins and hurt the enemy they did destroy some infidels, they may keep some people from enjoying their life etc. Some people may end up out of job - SABENA shut down after the 2001 attacks didn't it?

I am not religious and I often do what other people including cops would say is blasphemy believing it dos not matter because there might not be a God. However a deeply religious friend pointed out how do I know that for sure. So if these guys believe the story about virgins and hurting the enemy (and to some degree he might be just be right) I am afraid no matter how eloquent the FB posts are as useful as the proverbial chocolate kitchen glove.

Should we look how the small country with the white and blue starred flag treats people making nasty thinks to its citizen?

And yes I believe that no matter where you put a crowd you create a target.
Rwy in Sight,
Please let me correct your information in short.

The Sabena closure has nothing to do with the 2001 attacks. The responsibility lies with the two shareholders: the Belgian State and Swissair and successive Belgian governments have failed to capitalize sufficiently Sabena. Moreover, it appears that the political class in the 90s had already mentally taken leave of Sabena.

aox
25th Mar 2016, 09:36
In Europe we realised that holy wars were obsolete sometime around 1200 AD.

Some people just didn't quite get that message for a few hundred years more.

t1grm
25th Mar 2016, 11:06
Can't believe BRU is still going to be closed up to a week later. I know they have a job to do round the area of the blasts but there are huge areas of the airport unaffected. They need to set up a temporary check in and baggage handling area in an alternative building and bus people to the departure piers - which are well away from the blast zone. Clearly they had no business continuity plan. Unacceptable for an airport of this size.

West Coast
25th Mar 2016, 15:02
In Europe we realised that holy wars were obsolete sometime around 1200 AD

Dark humor right? Certainly not fact.

Rwy in Sight
25th Mar 2016, 17:21
I will post a thread about SABENA on the Nostalgia forum - I am aware of the problems associated with the Belgian government and moving ownership for Group Air France to Swissair (who did fold wings in early 2002).

I just realize a chilling thought: after 2001 attacks tend to come "in lots" while previously they tend to be single action. Four aircraft in 2001, two attacks in London back in 2005, four attacks in Paris, and now two attacks (three explosions) in Brussels.
I don't know how to analyze it but I am concerned that things can turn nasty very fast in a very wide area.

A_Van
26th Mar 2016, 11:20
If some provincial media are not lying, then looks like the airport and metro were part of "plan B" for those jihadists, and initially they were thinking of the nuclear power plant(s):

Un agent de sécurité dans le nucléaire tué à Charleroi: son badge d'accès a été volé ! - DH.be (http://www.dhnet.be/actu/faits/un-agent-de-securite-dans-le-nucleaire-tue-a-charleroi-son-badge-d-acces-a-ete-vole-56f5b02a35702a22d5bbf868)

Rwy in Sight
26th Mar 2016, 12:51
If some provincial media are not lying, then looks like the airport and metro were part of "plan B" for those jihadists, and initially they were thinking of the nuclear power plant(s):

Un agent de sécurité dans le nucléaire tué à Charleroi: son badge d'accès a été volé ! - DH.be (http://www.dhnet.be/actu/faits/un-agent-de-securite-dans-le-nucleaire-tue-a-charleroi-son-badge-d-acces-a-ete-vole-56f5b02a35702a22d5bbf868)

"The Evening" (Le Soir) newspaper says the badge was not stolen.
http://www.lesoir.be/1163392/article/actualite/belgique/2016-03-26/meurtre-d-un-agent-securite-froidchapelle-piste-terroriste-dementie

RobertS975
27th Mar 2016, 01:49
In Manila, all luggage is run through Xray before being allowed into the terminal. This would be difficult to implement worldwide, and as others have mentioned, it simply moves the screening queue but does not eliminate it. Thus, a target still exists where people are crowded with lots of luggage.

The bigger picture here is one that not many of you are expressing, especially those of you who make a living in this industry: If this type of event were ever to become even slightly more frequent, then the air travel industry will be crippled. If flying becomes a game of Russian roulette, then this will quickly lead to the next bust in what has always been a boom/bust industry.

sb_sfo
27th Mar 2016, 04:44
Robert, you are correct. At my airport, you could, at certain times of the day, take out 500 with a car bomb in front of the terminal entrance. No real way to stop it without vehicle checks on the side of the freeway.

Espada III
27th Mar 2016, 11:53
Perhaps the trick is multiple screenings?

At Tel Aviv, every car, lorry and bus entering the airport (only two ways in) goes through a checkpoint. Most are waived straight through; others asked a few questions, and a very small number are stopped and searched.

Between vehicle drop off and entering the terminal there is a security person simply monitoring the flow of people. Probably only 0.1% are stopped and questioned. Of course as is well known, passengers are thoroughly questioned before check-in (or for web check-in, before the usual security screening). The answers are irrelevant, its the way the person behaves that gives the clue as to their intentions.

This permits for a reasonably smooth flow of people without creating a bottleneck that would be a delight to any would be bomber. The result of this (including profiling) is that I can take as much liquid onto the aeroplane as I like (as long as its a non-stop flight). A much more sensible approach, but it may only work for airports that are below a certain size on terms of passenger numbers. Not sure it would work for Heathrow, but might for Manchester...

edmundronald
27th Mar 2016, 22:05
Look guys, SLF here, get over your hysteria please. 20 were killed in Brussels metro, 11 at airport. Nobody is talking about doing security checks of every passenger in the underground systems in the world's major capitals. Being stuck in a strongly confined space with an explosive set off by some idiot tends to be deadlier than a wide open space. Also, if you have a security check, invariably there is then the crowd in front of the security check ...

The reason why people want stiff security checks for planes is not for the sake of the passengers, it is because Ben Laden turned the planes themselves into weapons. Plane hijackings are old hat.

Edmund

deanm
27th Mar 2016, 23:37
Espada is correct re. Israeli security screening:

"The answers are irrelevant, its the way the person behaves that gives the clue as to their intentions."

I worked in Israel for 12 months & underwent many pre-flight screenings at Ben Gurion.

After a couple of experiences, I realised the slightly farcical nature of what was being conducted - after being 'interrogated' & screened, it was possible to exit the terminal building for a cigarette, then wander (unscreened) back in. I could easily have collected my fusing devices etc from a waiting accomplice.

But that's not how the system works (& works *very* effectively).

It detects would-be perpetrators, not their weapons.
Dean

PastTense
30th Mar 2016, 03:44
One week after the tragedy, Brussels Airport began to test its operations (http://www.reuters.com/article/us-belgium-blast-airport-idUSKCN0WV0UZ) in hopes of resuming flights. Tests included running a makeshift check-in area, inspecting security and fire procedures and handling suitcases, according to Reuters. About 800 airport staff members (http://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/mar/29/brussels-airport-prepares-to-reopen-after-bombs) took part in the drill, The Guardian reported.
If security requirements are met, the airport should be able to offer limited services starting Wednesday afternoon, but will only be able to accommodate 800 people (http://www.lesoir.be/1165634/article/economie/2016-03-29/brussels-airport-reste-ferme-vers-quel-aeroport-votre-vol-sera-t-il-devie) an hour — as opposed to 5,000 people an hour before the attacks, a spokesperson for Brussels Airport Company told Belgian daily newspaper Le Soir.
“Although the structure of the building is intact, it will all have to be rebuilt (http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-35915410), from the air conditioning to the check-in desks. And that will take months,” said Brussels Airport Company CEO Arnaud Feist, according to the BBC.
“The priority is safety (http://www.lesoir.be/1164964/article/actualite/belgique/2016-03-29/brussels-airport-cela-prendra-des-mois-pour-revenir-normale),” Feist told Le Soir.

A Look Inside The Devastation At Brussels' Airport (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/brussels-airport-attacks-photos_us_56fac5d1e4b0143a9b4968b1)

Hotel Tango
30th Mar 2016, 10:10
Last Saturday I was at a major and busy regional airport, not in UK, B or F, but not that many miles from Brussels. I was surprised at the TOTAL lack of any form of security presence either outside or inside the terminal. I happened to have to walk through a good length of the large terminal and did not see a single policeman! I guess they obviously don't believe they could be a target. I hope they're right!

sitigeltfel
1st Apr 2016, 12:08
The reopening of Brussels airport has been delayed due to a strike by the police who feel that new security measures do not go far enough and their concern that too many airport employees have criminal records.

Brussels attacks: Police strike halts Brussels airport reopening - BBC News (http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-35938172)