PDA

View Full Version : Visa National Overnight at Heathrow?

Richard W
18th Mar 2016, 23:08
I can't find a clear statement anywhere, so I'm asking here.

I'm trying to find out if a visa national (more trusted tier) can change planes at Heathrow if the scheduled time on the ground straddles midnight. The plan is to stay airside. The scheduled time on the ground is definitely less than 24 hours, but I'm not sure what the requirement to arrive and leave on the 'same day' means. If the times were swapped round, so arrival and departure were on the same date, she should have no problem, but getting a 'visitor in transit' visa would be a major hassle.

Border Force officers asked off duty have given different answers!

The various exemptions based on other visas don't hold; all she has is a Shengen tourist visa.

If the visa national were Indian, she would need at least a Direct Airside Transit visa (DATv), but that would not be good enough for a delay straddling midnight. The visa national of concern is exempt from needing a DATv; she needs either a visitor in transit visa for the UK or needs no visa for the UK.

ExXB
19th Mar 2016, 07:09
Call the airline ...

Metro man
19th Mar 2016, 10:40
Agreed, but get it in writing from the airline so there is no difficulty at check in and if there are problems at Heathrow the airline are up for costs.

ifonly
20th Mar 2016, 12:56
Impossible to answer without knowing the nationality, onward travel plans etc.

Suggest you start here:-

https://www.gov.uk/check-uk-visa

Heathrow Harry
20th Mar 2016, 17:13
why would you stay airside overnight at LHR? Theres no accomodation If theres no problem with the individual and they have a valid visa to enter the UK theyd be a hell of a lot better coming out, going to a hotel, getting a decent nights sleep and checking in the next morning or am I missing something?

Hartington
21st Mar 2016, 23:20
The airline will probably use this tool IATA - Personalised Passport, Visa & Health travel documentation advice (http://www.iatatravelcentre.com/) (although not via a web interface) to determine eligibility to travel. That said, given your answers from off duty officers I think a visa is probably in order for everyone's peace of mind.

Richard W
22nd Mar 2016, 00:29
The question I was trying to answer was about a Filipina travelling from SE Asia (possibly from Thailand rather than the Philippines) travelling to Norway with a change at Heathrow involving 20 hours on the ground. Getting any sort of visa for the UK is extra stress.

I couldn't work out how to drive the IATA page to find out about transit visa requirements. It only seems to know about landside transit, for which a Filipina would definitely need a visa.

The Home Office web pages were no help. In the case of the link offered, it rather assumes that one intends to enter the UK, whereas the plan here is not to enter the UK, at least, not landside.

Thanks for the attempts to help, but I was hoping to find someone who knew the answer.

Cymmon
22nd Mar 2016, 12:40
https://ukvi-international.faq-help.com

Maybe try this?

They have a phone number, but as I see it a Philippina who needs to change terminals has to get the full entry visa now. My wife is Philippina and it's getting harder and harder to get any type of visa.....

ifonly
22nd Mar 2016, 17:51
The Home Office web pages were no help. In the case of the link offered, it rather assumes that one intends to enter the UK, whereas the plan here is not to enter the UK, at least, not landside.

As the third question is "Will you pass through UK Border Control?" I would suggest that it doesn't assume that one intends to enter the UK:ugh:

ifonly
22nd Mar 2016, 17:55
Using the answers Philippines as the nationality, in transit to somewhere else and not passing through Border Controls - it gives the answer of No visa needed - really not that difficult!

Richard W
22nd Mar 2016, 19:14
Using the answers Philippines as the nationality, in transit to somewhere else and not passing through Border Controls - it gives the answer of No visa needed - really not that difficult
Whoops! The problem is that if the scheduled wait were 30 hours, I'm very sure that wouldn't be allowed.

The other problem is that it is conceivable that everyone airside might be shepherded through to landside at 2 a.m., which would change that vital final question.

Richard W
22nd Mar 2016, 19:17
... but as I see it a Philippina who needs to change terminals has to get the full entry visa now.
What has become of the airside transit buses? Or is there some other way that they no longer avail?

PAXboy
22nd Mar 2016, 23:29
Transit from (1) + 2 + 3 to 4 + 5 is via the train. This puts the pax to greater trouble, effort and time but, much more importantly, it saves the airport money.

Sultan Ismail
23rd Mar 2016, 05:42
A year ago one could go Terminal 4 to Terminal 1/2 by airside bus. The busses appeared to serve all other terminals airside.

ifonly
23rd Mar 2016, 06:58
The answers are there if you actually bothered to look.

Whoops! The problem is that if the scheduled wait were 30 hours, I'm very sure that wouldn't be allowed.

You told us it was 20 hours - you need facts to get the correct answer !

Either they stay airside or they pass through Border Controls to landside.

Using the answers Philippines, In Transit and passing through Border Controls gives the result:-

You’ll need a visa to pass through the UK in transit
You should apply for a Visitor in Transit visa if you arrive on a flight and will pass through immigration control before you leave the UK.

but getting a 'visitor in transit' visa would be a major hassle. Why? Hundreds of others do it without problems every day.

Staying airside they don't need a visa, passing to landside they need a 'Visitor in Transit Visa' - take your pick.

Cymmon
23rd Mar 2016, 07:06
Ifonly, the OP has clarified the Philippina will be travelling from Thailand NOT the Philippines, hence the "major hassle" to get the visa. She would have to apply on the Internet then return to the Philippines for the initial interview then either wait a few weeks there whilst the decision is made or return to Thailand then return yet again to Manila to pick up the visa.

The British embassy make nothing easy for a Philippino/a to travel, trust me.
My wife and child are Philippines citizens, that's why they are currently in the Philippines and I'm back in the UK without them (my baby is 1 month old), because the British government are averse to even giving them a visitors visa.

Why? Hundreds of others do it without problems every day.

Have you ever tried it? Took us 3 attempts and a threat of legal action to get even a visitors visa......Please do your research first without putting comments like this.

ExXB
23rd Mar 2016, 07:24
I'd avoid the UK then. Should be no issues going via the gulf and the connections could be better.

Cymmon
23rd Mar 2016, 09:15
The OP seems Uk based so maybe that's the reason for the UK transit, but I agree the ME3 route would be the easiest option, no need for transit visas in the ME for a Philippina.

ExXB
23rd Mar 2016, 11:16
But seeing as the Pax would stay airside during transit, didn't see the need to transit UK.

I still contend the first thing to do was to call the airline (BA?). Their reservations staff would have the same information (source) as check-in staff, meaning a fairly good chance of a consistent handling (although if it was BA, one never knows). Other information sources such as IATA are useless if the airline uses something else.

Good luck to the passenger.

inbalance
23rd Mar 2016, 15:58
all she has is a Shengen tourist visa.
In that case don´t go to Heathrow.
Use Amsterdam, Brussels, Frankfurt or Paris instead.

Inbalance

ifonly
23rd Mar 2016, 17:03
Have you ever tried it? Took us 3 attempts and a threat of legal action to get even a visitors visa......Please do your research first without putting comments like this.

I've tried it successfully on a number of occasions.

Heck of a difference between someone getting a visa to visit the UK and someone trying to get a transit visa.

The people who grant the visa are UKV&I - part of the Home Office. Surely the best thing to do is contact them and get the answer in writing instead of giving us part of the information and changing it half way through (20 hour layover then 30 hour?).

If you want amateur advice post on here. If you want professional advice pay for it or get it in writing from those that make the rules.