PDA

View Full Version : BRNAV Approval

BoeingBoy
18th Mar 2016, 16:18
OK. My apologies for being a legal luddite here but can anyone clarify what the situation is regarding compliance with the need to have a certified aircraft installation that complies with BRNAV (5nm enroute) capability.
I wish to fly in UK and near continental controlled airspace but do not at this stage anticipate the need to comply with PRNAV approaches. Aircraft is an Archer II with twin Coms and ILS/VOR, single DME, ADF, mode S transponder, area nav (KNS-80) and a Garmin 430 (not the W) linked to the Nav 1 display and the autopilot. It does not have any 'dolls eyes' for in flight failures.

From the ANO Part 1 schedule 5 I can see that I have all the aids needed to fly in controlled airspace and make an ILS approach.

ANO Article 124 however states:

(1) Subject to paragraphs (3) and (4) an aircraft registered in the United Kingdom must not fly in Required Navigation Performance airspace unless it is equipped with area navigation equipment which enables the aircraft to maintain the navigation performance capability notified, prescribed or otherwise designated for that airspace.

(2) The equipment required by paragraph (1) must:

(a) be approved by EASA or the CAA;
(b) be installed in a manner approved by EASA in the case of an EASA aircraft and the CAA in the case of a non-EASA aircraft;
(c) be maintained in a manner approved by the CAA; and
(d) while the aircraft is flying in that airspace, be operated in accordance with procedures approved by the CAA.

From the EASA and CAA web sites I find that the only way I can comply with this article is to follow AMC20-4 which seems to lay down the means of compliance if I wish to use the Garmin as a stand alone installation and ignore the KNS-80 and the other aids.

My flight manual has an FAA supplement saying that the 430 is BRNAV approved but does not seem to be signed by anyone.

One source of advice I am getting is that as I have all the aids needed, and the KNS-80 is backing up the Garmin I don't need to do anything else. However another source is saying that I have to ignore the steam driven stuff and get an STC in my flight manual that complies with AMC 20-4. This will involve upgrading the 430 to a 430W along with some cabling and an aerial change. Total cost of around £3k. Another source is suggesting just getting an STC to certify the KNS-80 as a stand alone option is a cheaper idea but I can't find anyone to certify it.

Again, any help or advice much appreciated.

BB

wigglyamp
18th Mar 2016, 16:52
Unless you're operating in controlled airspace you don't need to be BRNAV compliant. If you want to be compliant, the GNS430 (even non-WAAS) meets the requirements in AMC20-4 as it's certified to TSO C129a. Your AFM supplement doesn't need to be signed but should relate to an approved modification under which the equipment was installed or otherwise later inspected and certified against which will have shown compliance with indicator requirements and any associated annunciation. BRNav approval can be under a Minor change - an STC is not required, unlike PRNav or LPV.
The KNS 80 is not FM immune so doesn't meet the certification requirements for any 'required' Nav aid unless you have an FM immunity filter installed in the antenna cable.

BoeingBoy
18th Mar 2016, 18:06
Your AFM supplement doesn't need to be signed but should relate to an approved modification under which the equipment was installed or otherwise later inspected and certified against which will have shown compliance with indicator requirements and any associated annunciation.

Thanks Wigglyamp.

The FAA supplement relates only to the G430 in general and is not specific to my aircraft.

As I do wish to be compliant and fly enroute in controlled airspace how do I achieve the 'Minor Change' entry into the flight manual? Is it a case of presenting the aircraft to an approved installer and asking them to do it? If so that is where I am being told that I must upgrade the software to a 430W, install new cabling and a new aerial.