PDA

View Full Version : Call for boost in maintenance trainees

Nassensteins Monster
18th Mar 2016, 00:06
"Call for boost in number of maintenance trainees

EXCLUSIVE

MITCHELL BINGEMANN
TRAINING
http://enews.smedia.com.au/theaustralian/get/image.ashx?kind=block&href=NCAUS%2F2016%2F03%2F18&id=Pc0290500&ext=.jpg RENEE NOWYTARGER
Ken Cannane, of the Aviation Maintenance Repair and Overhaul Association, says practical skills are not being taught before engineers start work

http://enews.smedia.com.au/theaustralian/get/image.ashx?kind=block&href=NCAUS%2F2016%2F03%2F18&id=Pc0290800&ext=.jpg
http://enews.smedia.com.au/theaustralian/get/image.ashx?kind=block&href=NCAUS%2F2016%2F03%2F18&id=Pc0290900&ext=.jpg

A dramatic overhaul of aircraft maintenance traineeships is urgently needed if Australia is to dodge a chronic shortage of aviation engineers, according to researchers and industry groups.

The calls come as statistics from government departments show sharp declines in the number of engineers completing training for aircraft maintenance roles over the past 10 years.

According to figures from the Department of Employment, the number of aviation apprentices and trainees has more than halved from its peak of 779 in 2013 to 370 in 2015.

A recent report from researchers at the University of NSW — titled The Future of Aircraft Maintenance in Australia — also pointed to declines in the training of maintenance staff, finding that a global workforce shortage within the next 10 years would see a 30 per cent shortage of trained aircraft maintenance workers. It said Australia would be hit harder than other nations.

“This means moving quickly to rebuild both aircraft maintenance and maintenance training industries by 2020, to permit Australia to handle a high proportion of its own needs across the civilian airline, general aviation and defence sectors,” the report said.

Ken Cannane, a director for the Aviation Maintenance Repair and Overhaul Association, said the shortage was being exacerbated by a “deskilling” of the workforce because practical skills were no longer being taught before engineers made it into employment.

“This clearly shows that a new approach is needed to provide the practical skills and theoretical knowledge for future aircraft maintenance engineers and technicians,” Mr Cannane told The Australian.

Mr Cannane said that while official figures from the Civil Aviation Safety Authority showed the number of aircraft maintenance engineers on the rise, he said that was only because the organisation had introduced a perpetual licence scheme in 2007.

“This gives the impression that the number of engineers is always growing but because the licences are perpetual we have no idea how many have left and how many are actually still working in the industry,” he said.
“Many training organisations have simply trained far too many people for the industry.

“More importantly, while these training programs have met the documented qualification standards as set out by CASA, they have not, and do not provide the skills needed by industry.”

A spokesman for the CASA disputed the figures and assertions from AMROBA, saying it was “not correct to state that the number of people completing training to become licensed aircraft maintenance engineers is falling”.

“For example in 2011 a total of 211 people completed aircraft mechanical training. In 2012 this rose to 370 and in 2013 this rose again to 410,” the spokesman said.

“It is important all maintenance personnel hold recognised national qualifications that ensure the maintenance and repair industry has a highly skilled workforce.”

The report from UNSW also raised concerns about the level of training that aspiring aircraft engineers went through before becoming fully qualified.
“Australia has allowed its training system to run down, with enrolments in certain categories at their lowest since statistics have been collected, raising concerns that qualifications are not meeting international standards,” the report said.

Mr Cannane said it was imperative that the current training schemes for aircraft maintenance engineers placed a greater emphasis on real-world skills.

“We need a complete review of the apprenticeship traineeships that underpin the licensing system,” he said.

“Our concern is that the Australian qualification framework doesn’t include the practical skills necessary for aviation work. This needs to be addressed, it needs to be fixed and we need to get practical skills back into focus so people can safely work on aircraft.”

The CASA spokesman said while competency-based training remained the basis for all national vocational training standards, it did not mean appropriate practical training and support was being ignored.

“CASA provides guidance to aircraft maintenance organisations about how they can continue to use the CASA Schedules of Experience to confirm that vocational training received in TAFE is further supported in practice in the workplace,” the spokesman said.

“CASA has proposed a new set of standards for the training of engineers who work on small aircraft.

“CASA believes the introduction of these specific licensing requirements for small aircraft predominantly used in general aviation will further allow training to be tailored to support industry needs and promote participation in aircraft maintenance occupations.”"

Meanwhile at the coal face, Qantas have let their training school wither on the vine. Once upon a time it provided world class training, but now it's been relegated to hosting external training providers. We continue to see the RTOs QAC and AA provide Kelloggs Kourses, basically a famil course masquerading as an AME Licence course, with massive gaps in system knowledge, and the blokes learn enough to be dangerous. Qantas Engineering management - and from what I hear Virgin is the same - are happy to accept these Mickey Mouse licences, and understandably so, because they're not paying for the training. All they see is that the LAME can now officially certify for maintenance. The LAMEs are happy because they only have to sit a 6 week course instead of the 10 - 12 week company courses we're used to, but they quietly acknowledge the courses and subsequently their knowledge are sub-standard. CASA are blind to the inadequacies, because they demonstrably do not understand their own regs, and are getting the wool pulled over their eyes by the RTOs.

The average age of LAMEs is quite high, with a large number within coo-ee of retirement. What few LAMEs are coming through are woefully unprepared. Crunch time is coming...

ampclamp
18th Mar 2016, 05:06
I believe that the average LAME in Australia is now their mid 50s or older! Legally able to retire!

It takes years to become a competent LAME and with the dearth of them being trained up to LAME level, the next 5 to 10 years will be interesting as those older guys do put the spanners away.

Propstop
18th Mar 2016, 06:21
Some of the newer LAMES have zero systems knowledge and no troubleshooting skills. They simply try a component change hoping they will fix it. This also applies to turboprop rigging as they have no idea what parameter they will alter when they do an adjustment.
I am doing my best where I work but I wonder is it enough. The deskilling of our profession is criminal!

CoolB1Banana
21st Mar 2016, 08:07
After doing most of my training at the QF Training School I recently sat a "Kellogs Kourse" with one of these RTOs and let me tell you, it was absolute crap! Pay your money and they just push you through as quickly as possible. Everyone passes no mater what. I'm glad I already held licences on other types from the same manufacturer or I would really struggle out on the ramp.

Ngineer
25th Mar 2016, 11:04
I believe that the average LAME in Australia is now their mid 50s or older! Legally able to retire!

It takes years to become a competent LAME and with the dearth of them being trained up to LAME level, the next 5 to 10 years will be interesting as those older guys do put the spanners away.

You hit the nail on the head. By the time common sense prevails it will be too late to pass on any meaningful experience to the next generation of ngineers.

600ft-lb
26th Mar 2016, 12:51
The sad reality is that only organisation training the 'next generation' of AME's is the Qantas group, which is a good thing. It's a shame that they have cut and downsized everything so much that they are struggling to offer them employment after they finish their apprenticeship.

Later, should they be employed in a fulltime role, unless these AME's want to fork out $20000-$30000 and months of their own spare time to become LAME's (thanks CASA) or the airline themselves fork out upwards of $50000+ to turn an AME into a LAME then guess where the next generation is coming from ?

It's not Australia put it that way.

empire4
26th Mar 2016, 23:01
Qantas' training now is not what it used to be, thats for sure. As for the part 66 license system well there is an argument there.

How do you figure its $20K-$30K? Corn flakes type course is $11K + 6 or 8 weeks leave. Then you have to do an OJT if it was first type. Even JTP course that have been around ling before Part 66. Most people in aviation have paid for at least one course in their working life except maybe for some chosen few at the rat.

I clearly remember the days of avionic blokes refusing to do tows, it was a greasers job. Years of management watching the highest paid blokes sit and drink coffee they were bound to come up with an idea to get rid of them or create efficiency. Half of this system we have only ourselves to blame.

As for LAMEs in Australia, you damn right they will nearly ALL be coming from overseas. This weak government has failed to stop the inflow of workers in sectors that are on the bottom. Talk to anyone in CASA licensing and they'll tell you how many TTRMA licenses they are granting or foreign licenses that are getting converted over. All full B1s of course and some B1/B2 making it near impossible for the average Aussie lame to get a job unless they spend serious $$ to up skill.

Such is life. DOn't hate the player, hate the game. No one will do anything about it whilst it doesn't effect them directly. Number one offenders of that are my brothers here at the rat.

600ft-lb
27th Mar 2016, 06:10
How do you figure its $20K-$30K? Corn flakes type course is $11K + 6 or 8 weeks leave. Then you have to do an OJT if it was first type. Even JTP course that have been around ling before Part 66. Most people in aviation have paid for at least one course in their working life except maybe for some chosen few at the rat.

Pre-vocational course $5000
Part 66 Theory exam package from Aviation Australia $5000 (self study)
RPL from Aviation Australia $2000
'Cornflakes packet course' (your words) $11000
Interstate travel unless you live in Brisbane $whatever
2 years worth of annual leave $priceless

In other words, big money from people who don't earn big money to move forward in a declining industry. Only to be overlooked by someone from the 3rd world who will do you job for 1/2 the price with all the licences under the sun.

Propstop
27th Mar 2016, 06:29
In other words, big money from people who don't earn big money to move forward in a declining industry. Only to be overlooked by someone from the 3rd world who will do you job for 1/2 the price with all the licences under the sun.

They may have the 'licences' under the sun but do they have the troubleshooting skills, experience and are they even competent to do the job. My experience with some of the would be 457 are that they can only sign things off as they have never worked on the floor.

Engineer_aus
4th Apr 2016, 12:16
Give it 10 years and all the AME's with no diploma will get trained up pretty quickly. I am sure CASA will come up with some bull.

Ngineer
7th Apr 2016, 10:21
They may have the 'licences' under the sun but do they have the troubleshooting skills, experience and are they even competent to do the job. My experience with some of the would be 457 are that they can only sign things off as they have never worked on the floor.

Todays manager could not identify the pointy end of a screw driver, let alone identifying a pen wielding maintenance menace.

Its all about the bottom line, and a lot of fluffy manager speak and bull$hite. Quality went out the window years ago with the demise of the real managers of those days.

Hasherucf
4th May 2016, 10:25
All of this is old hat. We have been complaining of it for years. We don't need a university paper to tell us what's going on.There is a lack of people now! Wages continue to rise and its going to get better from here on in as LAMEs retire. My current employer wont use QAC or AA as they want people to actually understand the aircraft, not just have a piece of paper.

plasticmerc
4th May 2016, 15:11
This very phrase pisses me off but unfortunately it is the truth.
Gone are the days of learning and practising your skills where there was someone who would say you can do it better.
Where they would cut your lock wire just for the sake of it.
Basic hand skills are not taught any more.
This is a shame on the industry.
Now even Boeing and Airbus have realised this and are trying to simplify everything.
Think how many split pins are routinely replaced now?
They have special tools to lock wiring more challenging bolts.
I have seen hand skills go down over the years.
Now people go to a school, fed the exams and come out saying I'm an engineer give me the money, I'm the best and I know it all!
Trouble shooting, system knowledge don't get me started.
Forget the hard stuff how about just show me some kind of basic logical common sense.
How many people just shoot from the hip and shotgun a defect with parts?
I see every month more and more nff on components.
You ask someone why did you change that?
Ask what led them to that decision?
when they struggle to use a fim, haha or interperate the srm.....
Not all defects are in a fim.
And the piece de resistance the standard practices manual...
How many even know that exists???
Or how or where to find it.
Good luck trying to fix this problem.

We want it fixed but no one else cares.

It will come back to the US and they will say oh you didn't follow this or that.

Put in company manuals name as appropriate.
You didn't do this or that.
And the classic you should hvae supervised more carefully.

My response you made him a lame now deal with the problem you created.

😢

Cat1234
4th May 2016, 23:38
Didn't you make enough to retire on? The wages where high for many years but the hours where very long too. I saved my wages, gambled some on the stockmarket and won enough to make it worth while.
If you are a competent engineer with good fault finding skills that means your smart enough to make money elsewhere. In plenty of industries rivers of cash still flow.
The gravytrain has derailed, the good old days are finished, just walk away with a good feeling and a full wallet.
Leave the mess that has become aviation to the wannabes, maybe they can scare some defects into submission with their huge bogus licences.

Engineer_aus
10th May 2016, 06:45
The entire industry is stuffed.

weloveseaplanes
12th May 2016, 06:05
I'm a pilot and really respect engineers.
Reading posts like this make me sad.

aveng
24th May 2016, 02:07
My first type didn't have a FIM, ergo, good type training and fault finding were key. Newer type FIMs can still be diabolical, the 767 would have you check the wiring before replacing the most obvious component. Training needs to get back to the basics, but sadly CASA's new license system will never allow it. I once met a new unrestricted B1 that didn't know what a Meggar did. Not his fault that the company that trained him were incompetent and allowed (by CASA) to teach the bare minimum.

Bootstrap1
24th May 2016, 04:30
There are a few B2s that wouldn't know what a megger did.

Kiwiconehead
24th May 2016, 10:00
Newer type FIMs can still be diabolical, the 767 would have you check the wiring before replacing the most obvious component.

Q400 was my first type with a FIM, same deal with wiring first.