PDA

View Full Version : Hollywood and aircraft - doesn't get any better!

crashedandburned
25th Jun 2002, 11:01
Dear Chaps (and chap-ettes),

I'm a struggling screentwriter looking for your help. I am writing a screenplay about the son of a USAF pilot stationed in Frankfurt-am-Main in the 1960's.

A helicopter pilot chum of mine who will remain nameless (thanks Andy!) suggested this website as a good place to start.

Unlike some films, which I imagine make you lot cringe and spill valuable beer, I would like to write the the film as accurately as possible. I want to get my facts straight and make pilots watching the film believe the action and dialogue.

Therefore I need the following information;

1. To know which aircraft types were in service as fighter jets at USAF Frankfurt-am-Main in 1960, 1965 and 1970. I'm told the F104 Starfighter is a likely candidate.

2. An idea of which aircaft type the pilot (assuming three years of commission served by 1960) would have completed his training.

3. The possible aicraft call-signs/numberings.

3. What would be a likely and authentic exchange of dialogue between pilot and Air Traffic Controller when above jet comes onto approach, finals, lands and taxis to a halt.

Please bear in mind that I am not [yet] a pilot myself - I'm looking to make a believable dialogue in a film.

THE REWARD:

I am in no position to offer money (please refer to above "Struggling screenwriter" statement), but should the script go into production, I hereby promise the following to the person(s) who help(s) me the most with this task;

a) 2 tickets free to the World premier
b) your name in credits as one of the technical consultants
c) great satisfaction at avoiding another "faked" film
c) if you're ever in Amsterdam (where I live), free beers (yes, I am aware of how much you pilot-types can drink!)

That's the deal. Like I said, I want to get this right - accuracy is the key word. If the above questions elude you, perhaps you could point me in the right direction? Many thanks in advance.

Sincerely,

James Allen

END OF APPEAL :cool: :D

PPRuNe Dispatcher
25th Jun 2002, 17:46
If someone here does help you out and the script go into production, then I think an onscreen credit should also be given to PPRuNe.... and we'll discuss the number of tickets and quantity of beer later on.
;)

Mik

ORAC
25th Jun 2002, 18:56
In the late 1950s, the German government requested that Rhein Main AB be returned to its owners, the International Airport Frankfurt, with the understanding that the property would continue to be available to US forces under a special arrangement between the airport, the German government, and USAFE.

USAFE accepted this proposal in November 1959 and returned title to the property. To provide for the continued use of Rhein Main AB, the German government leased the property from the airport and made it available to USAFE. The 1959 "Rights" agreement set very specific limitations to the USAF's use of Rhein-Main such as no fighter or bomber aircraft - only transports would use the base, only US forces supporting admin and transport operations would use the base and ammo storage would only be enough for units stationed at the base.

The standard USAFE fighter type between 1960 and 1970 was the F-102A Delta Dagger. This replaced the F-100. (The first 25 F-102s arrived in 1959 - they were replaced between 1968-70 by F-4s). The three USAFE squadrons based in Germany were:

492nd FIS Hahn
525th FIS Bitburg
526th FIS Ramstein

The other F-102 bases were at Torrejon and Zaragosa in Spain and Soesterberg in Holland.

These were co-located with ground attack squadrons which transitioned, during 1961 onwards, from the F-100 to the F-105 "Thud" (Nuclear capable and roled). These, in turn, were replaced by F-4Ds. The Thuds being rotated back the USA for refurbishment before being shipped as combat replacement airframes to Vietnam.

The F-104A/B only ever saw service with the USAF in ADC in the continental USA, and only then for a few years. It had insufficient range/endurance to meet TAC requirements.

Assuming he is on his first tour in 1960, the following is a nominal training schedule:

Primary Flying Training: Spence AFB, Georgia. 6 months. 40 hours T-34 + 100 hours T-28.

Basic Flying Training: Webb AFB, Texas. 105 hours T-33.

Advanced Flying Training: Moody AFB, Georgia. 80 hours F-86L.

Advanced Interceptor Training was done at Perrin AFB, Texas in the early 60s. I don't know about before then.

kbf1
25th Jun 2002, 19:56
C&B..was I sat next to you on a flight from Hawaii to LA in Jan this year? I recall having a similar conversation with someone about films and flying.

Vortex what...ouch!
26th Jun 2003, 20:38
Well I have just read the completed screenplay for this film. CrasheandBurned is a good friend of mine. :)

It reads very well and should turn out to be quite entertaining.

There is a lot of interest in it from US film makers.

kbf1. Might have been the second scriptwriter, was his name Neil?