PDA

View Full Version : Advice on headsets

guni83
15th Mar 2016, 04:33
I am in the process of purchasing a new aviation headset.
I am planning on getting my PPL for now and see if I wanted to take it further and go to CPL after that.
I will be flying twice a week.

There are lots of choices out there, but I will probably pick up a good ANR once I decide to pursue all the way to CPL. For the time being, I wanted to buy something a little cheaper to take me through PPL, but want something that is of a descent quality as well.

I am wondering if it will be best if I bought a used DC, or something that is less well-known but brand new.
For example, I can either pick up a second-hand DC H10-13.4 for around $200 - $300 (I am in Australia), or similar money will buy me a brand new Pilot PA12.8T. Most of the second-hand DCs I found so far are at least 5 years old as I couldn't find anything with warranty remaining.

I did find a few reviews about PA12.8T, most of them says that it is an excellent headset but looks like these are mostly used for passengers. Could someone with an experience with a budget headset like the Pilot, or an experience with a second hand headset, share their thoughts on whether there are some good, reliable but cheap ones out there, or if it's safer to purchase a used DC?

Thank you.

redsnail
15th Mar 2016, 12:30
Personally, I would go for a decent 2nd hand DC over an unknown new headset. I used DCs for years before finally going to ANR. DCs are tough and reliable. Perfect for flying in the outback where you want something that will keep going. I used to cut down ear plugs and fit them under the DCs for even better noise attenuation. Worked a treat. Even better than cheap Telex ANRs. I now use Bose A20s. Very expensive but worth it.

You'll always be able to sell on your DCs but if you're like me, you'll keep them. :D

RHSandLovingIt
16th Mar 2016, 04:18
I went the "cheap" route initially. Got a Pilot Avionics PA11-60. The headpad was terrible and the ear seals weren't great. I swapped them out for some DC gelseals and the big pillow like DC headpad.

Also, the plastic knobs on the adjustment nuts cracked and came off after a while and I had some issues with the mic boom attachment point working loose over time. Ended up having to use some loctite to get things to stay where they should.

Having said that all that, it did the job and only cost me something like ~US$100 off of Ebay (back in around 2004).

Eventually I managed to secure a 2nd hand DC 13.4 and found it to be similar in terms of comfort (again, using gelseals and big pillow type headpad) and audio/mic quality. However, it just felt more solid and robust. Had no issues with it whatsoever. And it is still my "emergency backup".

I eventually upgraded to a set of Lightspeed Zulu's. Have been using these for probably around 1500 hrs now, in a combination of GA aircraft (the usual suspects of 152s, 172s, light twins etc) and more recently about 1000 hrs in a C208B.

The cable between battery box and ear cup started to crack and fray last year... I emailed Lightspeed to check whether it was still under warranty as I had had the headset for around 4+ years, and they said regardless (it had a 5 year warranty anyway) send it in and we'll replace it. Didn't cost anything. I just had to post it to their agent in Brisbane.

Had to do a hearing check for my medical around Xmas. Result was identical to the one I last did with that outfit back in 2008. Probably the best NZ$1200 I ever invested in my aviation career so far!

Comfort is great, and the use of ANR makes the 10 sector 6-8hr flying days that much less fatiguing. When my lightspeed was being repaired, I had to use the old DC13.4 for a few weeks. The difference was incredible.

If I had to do it again, I would either get the DC to start with, or pay out for a decent ANR like the Lightspeed Zulu or BoseA20. At the end of the day, $1000 is really a drop in the ocean when you consider how much you are going to spend getting a CPL.

taybird
16th Mar 2016, 12:20
A second-hand DC is a good investment. Plus, if you decide you want to protect your hearing that little bit more, they're easily converted to ANR using a kit from Headsets Inc. This a cheaper alternative and works well.

I have a standard DC which I use for my students
A second DC which I converted with the Headsets Inc kit, which I use for aerobatics and open cockpit flying because it's easy to fit in a cloth cap.
A Bose A20 which I use for the rest of my flying because it's lightweight and I use the Bluetooth function on occasion.

I have used the Lightspeed Zulu, and I know many fans of it. For me, it didn't fit my head so well, and after an hour or so of flying it was uncomfortable so I reverted to my converted DCs. Although these were heavier, they fit me better. So it's worth trying out different headsets in different conditions so you can find something that suits you.

guni83
16th Mar 2016, 23:38
Thank you everyone for your comments.
There is a couple of second hand DC13.4s on E-bay which I have been watching, judging by everyone's advices here, I think it will be a good idea for me to bid for one of them.

RHSandLovingIt
17th Mar 2016, 04:26
Just to add to what Taybird said...

I tried the old Bose X and they were horrible for me. The new Bose A20s aren't as bad, but just don't seem to fit me like the Lightspeed does.

Everyone has a different head and ears! So if possible, it is a good idea to try and find what fits and feels the best when you're going to drop the $$$ on a new headset. :ok:

Not so much of an issue with the PNR headsets, as they all basically just clamp the earcups to your head as hard as they can! :ouch:

Tinstaafl
18th Mar 2016, 01:19
I've had my DCs for 33 years - and they're still going strong. They work better in a C208 I fly than ANR Telex 850s that I use in jets (I tried them both on a flight. Next time I'm in a piston I plan to compare them again)

redsnail
18th Mar 2016, 10:23
I have a pair of Telex 850s. Barely an improvement over Telex 750s. I only use the Telex in the sim.

Tinstaafl
24th Mar 2016, 03:17
My Telex 850's were free**. Good enough for me!

**Well, I had to replace the deteriorated ear pads, but apart from that...