PDA

View Full Version : Seaplanes

4Greens
14th Mar 2016, 19:57
News media is full of a plan to introduce small amphibian seaplanes around the UK.

Stanwell
14th Mar 2016, 20:00
Well, not that I've noticed - but please do go on...

Alanwsg
14th Mar 2016, 20:27
Seaplanes to fly to private Osea Island off Essex coast - BBC News (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-essex-35803595)

Stanwell
14th Mar 2016, 22:15
Am I smelling a bit of a beat-up here?
While it's good to see a GA venture getting a bit of exposure on a slow news day...
A twice-daily service to a location that can only be accessed by road for eight hours a day?
(I'm sorry, for only four hours out of every twelve.)
Really??

PersonFromPorlock
15th Mar 2016, 00:08
Float planes rather than seaplanes, to be a bit pedantic. Splendid picture at the top of the linked page.

Bobbsy
15th Mar 2016, 04:19
There's nothing unusual about float planes in other parts of the world, the West coast of Canada for one.

My younger brother was the supervisor at Victoria Harbour FSS until he retired last year--in the last annual report they had 43,000 aircraft movements in the harbour area handled by the FSS (mix of float planes and helicopters into several local heliports). For businessmen travelling between Vancouver and Victoria it was by far the most efficient way to travel from downtown to downtown.

pattern_is_full
15th Mar 2016, 05:59
@ Stanwell - well it's true that ideas get floated (ahem) without always coming to fruition. But consider that this is an "A-list" posh party island.

You're a London/Bucks/Hampshire music/TV celeb going to another 1%er's exclusive 11 am wedding on the island. The tides that day are low (causeway open) from 2 am to 6 am - so if you drive, you either get up at some ungodly hour, and then hang around in your wedding best for 5 more hours, having gotten your Roller or Rangerover all muddy on the causeway. (Google "Osea Island causeway" for images).

Or you catch a flight out of London City or somewhere else that delivers you to a nice dock (with a champers table laid on, no doubt) just in time for the event.

If you've got the brass - which would YOU pick?

Stanwell
15th Mar 2016, 06:15
Yep, point taken. :ok:

harrryw
15th Mar 2016, 06:45
Could be another Fantasy Island...A Grummand Widgeon or two and we can all stand round and say
"The plane! The plane!"

G-CPTN
15th Mar 2016, 07:04
What would these floatplanes do that a helicopter couldn't (apart from land on water?).

FlightlessParrot
15th Mar 2016, 07:10
Float planes rather than seaplanes, to be a bit pedantic. Splendid picture at the top of the linked page. It's a difference between US and UK usage. Although I'm born a Brit, in this case the US usage is better: but the dear old Beeb hasn't made a mistake.

G-CPTN
15th Mar 2016, 07:40
History (http://www.oseaisland.co.uk/history)

Less Hair
15th Mar 2016, 11:33
Dornier Seawings has announced to revive the Seastar twin series production with new prop and advanced avionics. Mainly for SAR and surveillance work in Asia. The Seastar is certified to 60 centimeter waves and has been flight tested to one meter high waves at Kiel. Might work in coastal areas.

http://www.dornierseawings.com/

Stanwell
15th Mar 2016, 17:03
Thanks for that history, CPTN.

Claudius Dornier's Seastar flying boat:
It seemed to show great promise at the time, yet just appeared to 'wither on the vine'.
Wonder why?

Good Business Sense
15th Mar 2016, 18:10
It seemed to show great promise at the time, yet just appeared to 'wither on the vine'.
Wonder why?

Not many in the seaplane world liked it for various reasons but I think the main reason is circa $12m for 12 seats.