PDA

View Full Version : Advertising issues -- mobile popups

AerocatS2A
13th Mar 2016, 14:14
Something for PPRuNe management to consider:

In the past I have been happy to view unobtrusive advertising. The recent change to the board has unfortunately resulted in advertising that plays audio that I can't stop and that intrudes on my browsing (I can hear it even if I have PPRuNe open in the background.)

IBobi
14th Mar 2016, 21:42
Report any ads that have audio autoplay. They are not allowed, and must be manually overridden by us.

AerocatS2A
14th Mar 2016, 22:53
Ok, will do.

BEagle
23rd Mar 2016, 09:17
Another advertising problem - today my computer froze (using Win7 / IE11) due to a slow, buffering advert. I think that https://s0.2mdn.net/ads/richmedia/studio/pv2/40926065/20160224032906333/index.html? was the offending item?

Can we PLEASE have the 'NoAds' style back - I'm getting fed up with advertising slowing down PPRuNe page loading / scrolling on a 70Mbps Internet connection....

Stanwell
23rd Mar 2016, 09:42
Me too.
One opens a page and it's like waiting for a group of schoolchildren to find their seats before one can proceed.
Painful.

chuboy
28th Aug 2016, 07:54
I have been experiencing very disruptive ads when browsing PPRuNe on my mobile. Once a thread loads the page redirects to an ad which appears to spoof a google website and threatens that my handset is infected with a virus.

Of course I know a spoof ad when I see one, my two issues with them are:
1) Pressing back on the ad either loads a redirect that takes you back to the ad, or closes the tab completely. I can't go back to the thread I was reading as the script which loads the ad seems to also close the tab with the forum thread in it!
2) The ads abuse javascript popups and the vibrate API in HTML5. Yes, these dreadful popups actually make my phone vibrate loudly until I close the tab!

Ad domains change all the time but most recently I have seen ads from
lp.want-to-win.com
secure.mobieblitz.com

Very annoying and I hope to see the admins take steps to remove them.

chuboy
26th Oct 2016, 04:44
More annoying intrusive mobile ads today from the mobieblitz.com domain. Hope the admins can blacklist offenders.

IBobi
27th Oct 2016, 01:11
Will look into this one thank you!

A screen shot would help a lot.

chuboy
27th Oct 2016, 05:40
Cheers. I'll try for a screenshot next time, for what it's worth here is the popup url which quickly redirects to that mobieblitz domain.

tulpaserv.com/sf6/beatbanner/MDAzc1FoQnp6Z045bklDMy9KS1E5UzlMV3BhcmRWSFkxNzVrZFcrNmJKdDhP cW1Xc0cvSWZNbjQxNUNZdFRoVA==?cl=5fqnaXdkP&af=bipt&ext1=5041&ext2=5fqnaXdkP-R

IBobi
27th Oct 2016, 22:45
^ thank you for that

AerocatS2A
30th Nov 2016, 09:35
The following ads are autoplaying audio:

Mitsibishi End of Year Sale.
Energiser Battery.

Both Australian ads.

And another one about a Windows 10 device. English accent. I'm disinclined to click to find the exact advertiser as that will only encourage the bastards.

Another for American Express and one for Spirit of Tasmania.

India Four Two
3rd Dec 2016, 04:39
Report any ads that have audio autoplay.

tiltedkilt.com

India Four Two
4th Dec 2016, 19:50
An ad for PS4 - American accent.

Edit - it links to www.playstation.com

Stanwell
4th Dec 2016, 23:59
Bridgestone, Mitsubishi, American Express and Ebay. Oh, and some crowd advertising flavoured popcorn.
Most annoying!

India Four Two
11th Dec 2016, 18:15
Another autoplay audio: mccain.ca

Ian Corrigible
12th Dec 2016, 15:30
Mods,

A couple more 'autoplay' pop-up ads on the mobile version of PPRuNe here in North America, which necessitate exiting the app. The culprit is "go [dot] goonmobi [dot] com"

Imgur link 1 (http://imgur.com/a/KgfDF)
Imgur link 2 (http://imgur.com/a/9FJuD)

Cheers,
I/C

India Four Two
13th Dec 2016, 16:27
Autoplay: BFGoodrich: Tires for Cars, Trucks, Pickups, Off-Road, Competition and More (http://www.bfgoodrichtires.ca)

India Four Two
17th Dec 2016, 17:06
And here's another one with autoplay: staples.ca

What's really annoying about these ads is that they will start playing, regardless of whether the pprune tab is active or not.

Rupert369
25th Mar 2017, 06:40
This has now got so bad when accessing the site from abroad on my phone that pprune has become completely unusable.

Each page will load for c. 5 seconds, and then I'll be taken to some woeful bit of dodgy advertising for virus software, or a free phone, or a longer penis - two of which I don't need.

The adverts are so invasive that they won't let you click back to the page you were on. So then you have to re-load pprune and the whole thing happens again.

This is a serious flaw and it's time for management to stop accepting money from advertisers who are clearly attempting to illicitly make gains from users. No legitimate advertiser could operate in this way.

Rupert369
25th Mar 2017, 12:22
I have zero problems with advertisements - but then I am using an Ad-blocker!

It only happens on a mobile browser, not on a pc. As far as I know, there isn't a blocker you can use for safari. If anyone knows of one please let me know!

Philoctetes
25th Mar 2017, 15:11
It only happens on a mobile browser, not on a pc. As far as I know, there isn't a blocker you can use for safari. If anyone knows of one please let me know!

This perhaps https://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/26171/safari-adblock

But maybe it is for Macs not mobiles.

717tech
29th Jun 2017, 11:36
G'Day all,

Every now and then when I try and view pprune on my iPad, I get a message box that pops up with the following:

http://Apple.com-2au-pal2-lucky-visitor-giveaways.club. Broadband Solutions pay ltd user! You have been selected as the winner of today's free iPhone 7, PlayStation 4 or MacBook Air! Please click ok to claim your prize before we giveaway to anyone else.

Only option is to press "ok" which then sends me to a website with a dodgy looking survey. I just close it and try again. The problem is, it just keeps on happening (only on pprune). Seems to only occur on posts (as opposed to the list of forums).

Anyone have any ideas?

Flying Binghi
29th Jun 2017, 12:07
Same here..:confused:

Heathrow Harry
29th Jun 2017, 14:27
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6795286?start=0

is worth a read........................

Flying Binghi
30th Jun 2017, 00:15
Went and had a read of the Heathrow Harry link...

"...Did you go back to the same site that caused the pop-up to appear in the first place? If so, don't do that. The site is bad or has been hacked, so avoid it..."

:confused:

compressor stall
30th Jun 2017, 14:59
I get it on the iPhone too... been happening for a while.

717tech
1st Jul 2017, 01:15
It's only happening to me on this website.
I use Firefox on my iPad, not Safari. But I've seen the info in that link before. Unfortunately it doesn't help.

aviator777
1st Jul 2017, 03:20
Similar happens on Android mobile also. Select the tab button, close tab and reopened a tab, go to pprune. Not a fix but a way of avoiding the need to accept the pop-up.

jimjim1
22nd Sep 2017, 07:47
Try using Opera Mini browser. Note the MINI part.

It works by using a central server to render the page and then sends you the compressed page image. Cuts out a LOT of nonsense. Likely saves data too.

Allows just about usable browsing on very slow connections.

Of course the central server could learn about you so I wouldn't be using it for banking.

IBobi
22nd Sep 2017, 20:07
Hi all,

We are aware of this and are trying to fix. Thank you for your patience!

Paul

A320ECAM
22nd Sep 2017, 21:56
From what I understand, the issue is caused by Google Ads. Certain adverts will cause this to happen whilst others won't.

Happens on various other websites too whilst browsing in Safari.

There is no known solution as of yet but hopefully Google will resolve it soon as it can be frustrating.

treadigraph
28th Nov 2017, 07:32
I've started getting audio ads again over the last couple of days.

Will post screen grabs if I can, but the last two were for a Philips "Star Wars" razor - accidentally clicked the link and visited an Amazon page; another was for Trivago, which was at the foot of this page!

Regards, Treadigraph

Edit: back over to Jetblast and up pops Trivago again - screen grab attached, back to the page and a different Trivago ad!

treadigraph
29th Nov 2017, 07:25
Update: haven't had a problem since yesterday lunchtime! Hopefully no longer a problem... :ok:

Further update 29/11 1300: just seen Trivago again... :{

IBobi
30th Nov 2017, 19:13
We reported the offending ad to our ops dept.

treadigraph
3rd Dec 2017, 10:40
Thanks Ibobi; there's now a very persistent Acuvue video advert popping up instead! It's restarted about three times and taken me to the bottom of the page while I'm typing this!

VP959
22nd Dec 2017, 08:25
The ads that are constantly causing web browsers to move the viewing focus back to the top of the page every time they pop up, so that threads are near-impossible to read (you get half way through a post and the screen scrolls back up to the top to show the ad again every few seconds) are making the site hard to use, and may well encourage more people to use ad blockers.

If people switch to using ad blockers en-masse, because of nuisance ads like this that make the forum very difficult to read, then that isn't good for the forum, as I think we all understand that it's advertising revenue that keeps the forum running.

IBobi
27th Dec 2017, 19:42
If using Chrome on mobile, you can try this:

Load chrome://flags/#enable-framebusting-needs-sameorigin-or-usergesture in the browser's address bar.
Switch the status of the "Framebusting requires same-origin or a user gesture" experimental flag from default to enabled.
Restart the Chrome browser.

IBobi
27th Dec 2017, 19:42
For mobile redirects/hijacks,

If using Chrome on mobile, you can try this:

Load chrome://flags/#enable-framebusting-needs-sameorigin-or-usergesture in the browser's address bar.
Switch the status of the "Framebusting requires same-origin or a user gesture" experimental flag from default to enabled.
Restart the Chrome browser.