PDA

View Full Version : Expired UK CAA CPL/ IR to FAA?

Ian the Aviator
13th Mar 2016, 09:49
Hi everyone,
I have recently become a US citizen and now live in Texas. Now I would like to investigate returning to aviation after a break of almost 10 years.

I have an expired CAA (UK) CPL/IR with instructor ratings and would like to find the easiest and least expensive way to get an FAA CPL/IR/CFI equivalent.

I've tried to read and understand the FAA regulations but am no wiser.

Any suggestions or advice would be most welcome . .

Thanks.

MarkerInbound
13th Mar 2016, 16:03
Since you no longer hold a pilot license you'll have to jump through all the hoops. PVT written (Knowledge test in FAA speak), PVT checkride, COMM written, COMM checkride, IFR written and IFR checkride. Then if you're still so inclined the FOI written and CFI written and CFI checkride. The hours you've logged can be used to meet the requirements wherever they overlap.

LTCTerry
15th Mar 2016, 10:31
Review the Part 61 Aeronautical Experience requirements for private, IFR, and commercial. Confirm you meet them. Identify any gaps.

Find an instructor who has had several people pass the commercial practical test. Pay him/her for an hour of ground time to review the requirements above and your log book then develop a training plan to get you ready for three check rides. Your plan can include things such as flying to/from the local practice area under the hood and flying an approach after maneuvers.

You need to take three written tests. You can study for all three for very little additional effort over studying for one.

Do all of the training in whatever "complex" aircraft you will use for the commercial check ride. This way you accumulate whatever hours the FBO/insurance require and gain familiarity while training to proficiency rather than adding on those hours later.

You have to learn the maneuvers that are required for the FAA Commercial Certificate which you probably have not done before, but most of what you have as experience will still be useful.

If the Commercial Certificate is your goal, plan that from the beginning; don't do each of the three items in isolation from a bigger picture.

Good luck!