PDA

View Full Version : 7+ years expired ICAO CPL - good for anything? anywhere? anybody?

CptClueless
8th Mar 2016, 06:23
I'm one of the happy people who finished their pilot training just after 9/11, had to find another job, got stuck with this job (as an ATCO, which I'm not that unhappy with to be honest ;)), got married, kids etc, didn't renew my licence anymore since 2007 and never looked into it since then as I was busy with other things.

Now I suddenly and unexpectedly feel the urge to go flying again...and had to notice that apparently my German CPL/IR with ATPL theory credit "issued in accordance with ICAO standards" seems to be completely obsolete as I have missed the deadline for EASA conversion and not kept any rating current for more than 7 years.

Now does this mean that the whole thing, flight hours and all is good for absolutely nothing and I would have to do everything from scratch again as an ab initio? In Germany, this appears to be the case. (Which is extra strange as both the German ATPL/A2 which was my original licence in 2002 was supposed to be valid for life apart from the ratings as well as the EASA licence seems to be...)

Or is there some place in the world that might accept my expired ICAO licence and/or hours from the flight log book as a basis to gain a CPL again via some kind of fast-track / refreshment route?

Thanks to anybody who can help me with this. And to everybody else for not bashing me for asking questions that have probably been discussed to death in some thread I didn't find.

RHSandLovingIt
9th Mar 2016, 19:25
Here in NZ, with BFR expired for 5+ years (so 7+ years since last BFR completed) you'd need to redo the law exam... Get your class 1 medical and do a BFR again...

Having said that, we haven't recently merged our aviation regulatory body with a bunch of other countries... So not sure what effect the EASA circus will have on things...

To answer part of your query, you'll probably find most countries would need your "home" licence to be current to do a conversion/validation etc.

ersa
11th Mar 2016, 09:24
Your ATPL exams are well and truly expired , your hours will never expire , The LBA did state that all german national licence Pre_JAA had a cut off date to transfer to JAA and then on to EASA.

Im afraid that when you approach another ICAO national authority , they will require a letter from the LBA saying your licence is authentic. This will your problem.

Only options is to start again on theory and retake a course of flying and skills test.

I assume your licence is a pre-JAA licence or is it a JAA licence ?

Sorry there is no fix for this

USE THE RUDDERS
15th Mar 2016, 08:51
Similar situation to the original poster, I had a CAA issued JAA License CPL/IR flight test 2004, Also an ICAO South African CPL/IR.

From my understanding I would have to do everything again from all the 14 Exams.
Is this correct?
Not that I could afford to do this anytime soon!!!!

macflea
15th Mar 2016, 16:40
I am also in the same situation . As far I know you would have to do the 13 atpl exams again minus the vfr comms. I don't think you are required to attend the groundschool ,but only to register with a school if you can find a school that would agree to this ,so that you can register with the caa and do the exams .
the jaa Cpl to an easa Cpl is only paperwork , but you would require a sep rating to renew currency on it. after that its training as required for the me/ir to pass a skills test.
that's my understanding if I wanted to have a go again at it.
whats stopping me is the though of not only paying for this but also for a type rating as well !