PDA

View Full Version : phone network data or lack of

rans6andrew
7th Mar 2016, 20:24
whilst sitting in a cafe, this afternoon, a friend asked me if the mobile network was working properly with regard to data and internet. He asked because his iphoon was unable to get connection despite having many bars of phone network signal strength. I pulled my Galaxy out and straight away it accessed the internet.

His provider is Vodafoon and I'm with TalkMobile which uses Vodafoon network infrastructure, I understand. A quick check of his phone settings showed mobile data was enabled. He has been having issues with data connection for a week or two.

Can anyone shed any light on whether it is likely to be a phone issue or a network operator issue?

Is he likely to be being blocked for some reason?

His phone was provided by his work, he uses the Maps app to find his way to jobs (he services alarm systems). Without network data the Maps app doesn't work ........ Neither does access to alarm system data and manuals etc, or filling in job sheets and booking time on customer sites etc.

Most frustrating.

jack11111
7th Mar 2016, 21:07
How can your friend go a week or two without such tools?

rans6andrew
7th Mar 2016, 22:02
we often meet up at the nice supermarket that rewards it's customers with a free cup of coffee and wifi and he transfers from the paper backup to the company time sheets while I read the news papers. It doesn't really help with the maps app though as he never knows where he will be going until it happens.

boguing
7th Mar 2016, 23:15
I had this about two months ago, network was Three and it's a Windows 'phone, but it may be the same glitch. Mine had lost its memory and needed to be reminded of the APN settings (in Networks menu). These settings are normally sent to the 'phone when it first contacts the network when new, and although Three resent it, I found a way to do it in the menus using their website for the actual settings.

Avtrician
8th Mar 2016, 07:52
has he tried turning the phone off then back on, that can clear some problems up.