PDA

View Full Version : Reminder about Dust

Ancient Observer
7th Mar 2016, 13:54
Just a quick reminder to inspect your pcs and etc for dust build up.

I forgot, and it cost me two new fans.

Regards

AO

Ant
7th Mar 2016, 15:50
It's one of those enduring mysteries of life how specks of house dust could possibly stick to a fan blade spinning at 1700 rpm, and gather there the way we've all seen them do inside our computer cases!

SpringHeeledJack
7th Mar 2016, 16:02
It's one of those enduring mysteries of life how specks of house dust could possibly stick to a fan blade spinning at 1700 rpm, and gather there the way we've all seen them do inside our computer cases!

Electrostatic Charge ? Either that, or you need to make yer missus clean more thoroughly ;)

SHJ

jimtherev
7th Mar 2016, 16:22
Just a quick reminder to inspect your pcs and etc for dust build up.

I forgot, and it cost me two new fans.

Regards

AO
Could have been worse. Cost me a cpu a few years back!

8th Mar 2016, 00:13
I stuck one of these:
SilverStone SST-FF123B; ultra fine 120mm Fan Filter w/ Magnet: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics
on the outside of my computer case and the amount of dust it collects is unbelievable.
It's magnetic so easy to remove and a quick vacuum gets it clean in seconds.

wings folded
13th Mar 2016, 14:02
A quick blast from my compressor when I am checking the tyre pressures does the trick.

ExSp33db1rd
13th Mar 2016, 22:46
A quick blast from my compressor when I am checking the tyre pressures does the trick.

Yes, my IT man taught me that trick, make sure the end nozzle is metal ( not usually a problem with garage forecourt gear ) and don't wear rubber soled shoes!

'trouble is - I always forget to take my laptop with me when I use the local garage, and I haven't got a home compressor, a standard foot pump doesn't hack it, and I never dismantle the desktop to cart into town !

I've been warned about not using aerosol cans of compressed air, 'cos of the plastic tube they use, i.e. static, but another IT man said that was a load of b****ocks, no problem and sells then for that purpose, but I decided to stick a wire up the tube, take off my rubber shoes and stand on the other end.

Paranoid ? Moi ?

ShyTorque
13th Mar 2016, 23:38
I use a vacuum cleaner hose and nozzle to suck out the dust, having loosened it with a half inch paintbrush.

ExSp33db1rd
14th Mar 2016, 04:17
I use a vacuum cleaner hose and nozzle to suck out the dust, having loosened it with a half inch paintbrush.

I'm told it is the rush of air past plastic that causes the static, but does it matter if it is sucking instead of blowing if you don't touch the computer with the nozzle?

What would I know, I'm just a pilot ( who refuels aircraft using 10/20 ltr plastic jerrycans !