PDA

View Full Version : Atlas Air & Pilots TA

AtlasAirStrike
25th Jun 2002, 02:03
AAI ALPA
STRIKE Committee

STRUCK WORK POLICIES OF THE ATLAS MEC

A. POLAR –
No flying of additional aircraft compared to pre-strike levels, or picking up of Atlas customers, freight, or routes.

1. Limiting Polar Fleet to Pre-Strike levels -- no additional Atlas or unplanned additional aircraft to Polar after the strike deadline. This will consist of comparing operations to the existing Polar Fleet pre- strike (including taking into account the preexisting previously announced fleet enlargement plan and schedule). Operation of any new additional aircraft or transfers of aircraft from Atlas (previously owned, leased or operated by Atlas) would be considered struck work. Previously planned and “already in the pipeline” additional aircraft or transfers of aircraft from Atlas would not be considered struck work. This means that Polar crews may continue to operate their previously scheduled operations and aircraft, as well as any additional aircraft whose deliveries to Polar were legitimately planned prior to May 28, 2002 but may not have been delivered prior to 1201AM June 28, 2002. Operation of any additional Polar capacity in the form of any additional aircraft beyond that would be considered stuck work. The Atlas MEC will closely coordinate on this issue with the Polar MEC.

2. Prohibiting Polar from picking up Atlas customers, freight or routes. Limiting Polar to pre-strike traditional “Polar” flying. If Polar attempts to pick up customers, freight or routes flown by Atlas, it would be considered struck work. Again, the Atlas MEC will closely coordinate on this issue with the Polar MEC.

B. AACS – No flying of Atlas Aircraft (i.e., owned, leased or operated) or routes.

1. AACS crewmembers not to fly any Atlas aircraft.

2. AACS crewmembers not to fly routes flown by Atlas pre-strike.

AAI ALPA
STRIKE Committee

C. Requests of Other Pilot Groups
– No operation of Dry-leased Atlas Aircraft

1. Foreign Pilot Groups

· IFALPA Recruitment and Training Ban for Atlas and AACS.

2. Foreign and Domestic Pilot Groups

· No operation of Atlas aircraft dry-leased from Atlas after strike begins.

· No operation under contract which financially benefits Atlas (except for preexisting dry-leases of Atlas aircraft predating the strike).

D. GSS Issues

If GSS obtains certificate during Atlas strike, GSS pilots to fly no more than the two 747s that Atlas has flown to service the BA contract. No flights of these 2 aircraft other than per historical service pattern for BA.

C Montgomery Burns
25th Jun 2002, 07:48
What about the theft of British and other pilots jobs by US Atlas crews? I don't think you'll get much sympathy from the rest of us!

ironbutt57
25th Jun 2002, 09:35
What British jobs did Atlas crews "steal"...their company bid the routes, and your gov't allowed this to happen.....fix your laws then, don't blame the pilots....

CR2
25th Jun 2002, 10:42
This thread is running simultaneously on Freight Dogs....

SIDMANJED
25th Jun 2002, 22:16
I don't think anyone has to worry about Atlas walking out. There are to many retired Military guys there that do not have to worry about money and just want to get the mission done and there are alot of guys that will talk a good game and do nothing. I just can't belive that these guys thought the company was going to care if they walked. I mean all these other Atlas spinoff's were created for just this reason to get rid of the main line Atlas guys.
The only guys that I feel bad for are the freight dogs that were there in the beginning and did all the work to build Atlas up to what it is now. I wish everyone good luck and I hope I am wrong.

Intruder
26th Jun 2002, 04:44
I guess you just don't know anything about retired military guys...

I'd guess that the percentage of retired military guys that cross the line will be less than others.

AtlasAirStrike
26th Jun 2002, 20:07
MEMO

TO: All GEM 117 Members

SUBJECT: Council Policy Concerning Atlas Struck Cargo

DATE: June 26, 2002

These are trying times for our segment of the industry. As you can well imagine the Atlas crewmember group has been put in a difficult situation by their company's management. Fortunately, we at Gemini have not been confronted with the difficulties that face our fellow ALPA members at Atlas. However, as members of the same industry and Association, we cannot ignore their circumstance or situation for fear of becoming victims of the same system.

We have included Atlas' "Struck Work Policies Of The Atlas MEC" below for your reference. Please note that only provisions paragraph C. 2., second bullet point applies to our operation. Your best defense is to be diligent and ensure that you do not inadvertently violate the provisions of that sub-paragraph. In addition to ensuring that we do not violate the terms of the referenced paragraph you should additionally adhere to the following guidelines:

* Respect lawfully established picket lines;
* Do not taxi your aircraft onto any dedicated Atlas ramp area(s) or their cargo facilities; or
* Do not fly any cargo that was directly transferred to your aircraft from any Atlas aircraft;

These guidelines have been coordinated with Atlas' MEC and ALPA headquarters. If you have any question concerning these policies or are confronted with a questionable situation please contact a member of your MEC immediately.

We have briefed our management on these policies and have been assured that we will not enter into any contracts with the Atlas group to fly struck cargo as a result of any job actions taken by Atlas management or their MEC. We believe this to be a good faith position by our management and applaud their reasoning and support.

Thank you for you support during these difficult times.

Sincerely,

Your MEC

Capt Rep & Chairman
Capt Dan Jenkins

F/O Rep & Vice Chairman
Mr. Dale Roberts

F/E Rep & Secretary-Treasurer
Mr. Doug Williams

AtlasAirStrike
26th Jun 2002, 20:34
As it stands now the pilots of Atlas Air will strike worldwide at 04:01Z on June 28th.

Check the ALPA website for updates. The status is on the top of the page.

https://www.alpa.org/home/index.html

Dan Winterland
26th Jun 2002, 20:59
A perceptive statement Ironbutts. The laws were always there in the UK, previously they were just being ignored. Now they are being enforced. The result - GSS!

ironbutt57
27th Jun 2002, 10:16
as it should be

AtlasAirStrike
28th Jun 2002, 04:29
AACS Crewmembers.

It is 0401z on Friday June 28, 2002

We are on hold; the strike deadline has been extended. Do not, I repeat, do not go on strike.

We will get back to you.

Remain professional.

www.alpa.org

AtlasAirStrike
28th Jun 2002, 05:42
AACS Crewmembers

It is 0530z on Friday June 28, 2002

We have reached a tentative agreement, details are forth coming, operate as normal. Do not, I repeat, do not go on strike.

www.alpa.org

Po Boy
28th Jun 2002, 06:29
Atlas Air and crewmembers agree on labor contract

June 28,2002 -- Atlas Air Inc. and the Airline Pilots Association early today reached a tentative agreement for a first labor contract. Both parties have agreed to keep the details of the contract confidential at this time.

“We believe this contract is both good for the company, and good for crewmembers, and meets the criteria we established for the resolution of this process,” says CEO Richard Shuyler. “I am pleased with the agreement we have reached, and I am proud of the valuable contribution that our experienced, professional pilots and flight engineers make to Atlas Air.”

"I am pleased we were able to reach an agreement that will allow Atlas Air and its crewmembers to move forward," says Captain David Bourne, chairman of the Atlas Air crewmember unit of the Air Line Pilots Association International.

The contract is subject to ratification by ALPA’s membership. Ratification will take place over next several weeks.

:)

Airbubba
28th Jun 2002, 06:36
Sure beats the alternative!

freightdog333
28th Jun 2002, 09:58
I have a feeling the atlas union caved. Ashame too, since the group was ready to strike. Maybe the company's threats was more stress than they could bear.

ironbutt57
29th Jun 2002, 11:20
Got friends there...glad it got sorted...good luck to all....:) :) :)

hyfly
29th Jun 2002, 14:00
atlasairstrike:

Why did you warn the AACS crewmembers not to go on strike ?

This was quite useless, as it was never planned to support and join the mainline in this strike. AACS was prepared and willing to take over whatever was possible.

Just for clearification:

1. Mainline tried since the establishment of AACS to get rid of AACS. Even the downvoted TA in March had it included.
What, if any, support do you expect under these facts ?

2. Mainline never got in contact with AACS to discuss any support for the pending strike. And as long as the mainline intends to erase AACS there would have been never any support.
As long as you don't accept AACS and as long as you don't get control of you militant anti-AACS crewmembers, there can't be any support or cooperation.

3. AACS crewmembers have not been contacted by BALPA, the national IFALPA organisation, to support any Atlas mainline strike.
Is this an indication that not even BALPA was supporting this pending strike or just (another) lack of support and coordination between ALPA and BALPA ?

4. There would have been as well no legal possibility for any support. The only option would have been to report sick.
Only a quite normal daily number of 5 crewmembers (ex-mainliners ?) called in sick - that was all the support you got.

(Most) AACS crewmembers agree with your arguments for a contract, but

* as long as a common hotel and a mixed crew (mainliners & AACS) has many times to be considered a hostile enviroment,

* as long as there is no cooperation and coordination between you and AACS for an improvement of our work and

* as long as you don't accept AACS as a part of Atlas and be willing to understand the reason for this part of Atlas

you are dead wrong to expect anything which supports you.

AACS crewmembers have offered their hands since the first contact with you - but it has been and is still being ignored.

Most, if not all, AACS crewmembers would like to improove this relationship for obvious reasons, but we are getting tired of holding our hands in your direction.

Roadtrip
29th Jun 2002, 21:49
And how, exactly, are AACS people on "personal contracts" going to "support" Atlas unionized crewmembers?

HEAVYWHALE
29th Jun 2002, 23:22
Why did you warn the AACS crewmembers not to go on strike ?
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Do you really need to ask?
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This was quite useless, as it was never planned to support and join the mainline in this strike. AACS was prepared and willing to take over whatever was possible.
So what you are saying is that all AACS pilots are “want to be” SCABS? I don’t think so.
Just for clearification:

1. Mainline tried since the establishment of AACS to get rid of AACS. Even the downvoted TA in March had it included.
What, if any, support do you expect under these facts ?
What facts? Mainline never tried to “get rid of” AACS they just wanted to be included, instead of having the flying that they had been doing previously been doing excluded from them. The TA kept them in it, and I think the new one does too. Which would mean that Mainline is now included, which is what they wanted. The only new exception is if the Law of the country doesn’t allow Mainline to fly there. That’s the reason AAMT created GSS.
2. Mainline never got in contact with AACS to discuss any support for the pending strike.
Does AACS have an organized labor group to get in touch with? If so, please call the Atlas MEC ASAP so they can start working together.
And as long as the mainline intends to erase AACS there would have been never any support.
Erase? I don’t think so, just be included.
As long as you don't accept AACS and as long as you don't get control of you militant anti-AACS crewmembers, there can't be any support or cooperation.
Cooperation needs to come in the form of an organization. Can you please point me toward an AACS union so they cooperate?

3. AACS crewmembers have not been contacted by BALPA, the national IFALPA organisation, to support any Atlas mainline strike.
That’s because you have to contact them and form a union. What did you expect? The Atlas MEC couldn’t very well have contacted your management to get in touch with you, could they? It think that they are the same?
Is this an indication that not even BALPA was supporting this pending strike or just (another) lack of support and coordination between ALPA and BALPA ?
Go read the definition of struck work. It will answer your question.

4. There would have been as well no legal possibility for any support. The only option would have been to report sick.
Only a quite normal daily number of 5 crewmembers (ex-mainliners ?) called in sick - that was all the support you got.
We never went out on strike so, hence the normal support level.
What are you management, how else would you know that? If so I might as well just quit now, it’s like trying to P*ss into the wind, you just can’t do it.

(Most) AACS crewmembers agree with your arguments for a contract, but

* as long as a common hotel and a mixed crew (mainliners & AACS) has many times to be considered a hostile enviroment,
I think if mainliners were included it would stop. Remember, AAMT did this not the Pilots of AACS and any hostilities are unacceptable.
* as long as there is no cooperation and coordination between you and AACS for an improvement of our work and
AACS really needs a union so they can coordinate or be put on our same seniority list.
* as long as you don't accept AACS as a part of Atlas and be willing to understand the reason for this part of Atlas
AACS is not a part of Atlas, you don’t believe me, just ask AAMT. Otherwise we would be on the same seniority list.
you are dead wrong to expect anything which supports you.
What?

AACS crewmembers have offered their hands since the first contact with you - but it has been and is still being ignored.
If so then why haven’t each one of you joined the union? What kind of organized effort are you capable of?
Most, if not all, AACS crewmembers would like to improove this relationship for obvious reasons, but we are getting tired of holding our hands in your direction
I’m starting to repeat myself.

Bottom line, Mainline was worried that AACS was set up as a SCAB outfit and they are pissed (mad) about it. From what you have said, they were correct to think so. We wanted you guys the entire time to be put on our seniority list. We don’t mind having Foreign Bases staffed with Foreign Pilots. Like I said before, we just wanted to be included, under the same rules. Don’t give me the same BS about AACS was created because of British Labor Laws. If AACS was for that, then what the heck is GSS for?

If the new T/A’s scope clause is the same as the old one, Mainliners will now be included, but AAMT still gets to keep us separate. Now AACS guys, will have supper seniority over the Mainliners who have worked at Atlas for much longer, however the original AACSers will not work under our T/A with any of the same protections. What is good is that all new positions and new hires, whether they are foreign or not, will go on our list, under our contract. So, through attrition you guys are “bye bye.”

Now what I see happening is you AACS guys will want more money and better work rules, just like the mainliners. I hope that you guys get mad at AAMT for creating this turd and demand to be put on our list. You guys all have personal contracts, wouldn’t it be nice to have only one contract?

Bottom line is that you know why AAMT formed AACS, from what you have said, they would have all been SCABS. So, now you want to play nice nice?

Go figure!

SilverThunder
2nd Jul 2002, 15:11
I believe the last TA included AACS on the mainline senority list. I have no reason to believe that anything has changed with the new TA.

So, we should be able to bid all the bases and all the aircraft. I would guess that there will be seat protection for junior crews that are AACS or that bid to Stanstead.

Are we not one group now? I think it would be foolish to fight amoungst ourselves, the enemy is not us.

Perhaps now is the time for AACS crews to organize, we should all be protected, we should all support each other.

Militants need not respond, you are the minority!

hyfly
3rd Jul 2002, 08:43
Haevywhale

1. Wasn't/isn't there a (pending) court case, where mainline/ALPA intended to have the establishment of AACS being declared illegal by a court and then to get rid of AACS ?
This step was/is not intended to include AACS in the Seniority List, but to get rid of AACS only.

2. Would have AACS crewmember been obliged to look to pprune to be informed about the pending strike and to know about the definition of struck work ?
There was never any official or informal information to the AACS crewmembers when the strike will start and what are the definitions of struck work.
Therefore I think the coordination, cooperation between ALPA and BALPA and support from BALPA was at least questionable. And you guys have (most of) our (email) adresses - as BALPA has - and you know, who are our Representatives to the Employee Forum at AACS and how to get hold of them. But nobody contacted us/them - why ?
However, as there was no strike this matter is history, but it should be taken care in the future. You can' t name anybody a scab, just as you like it, if you don't inform him at least properly about the situation. And even then, you have to respect diferent laws and regulations - US is not the world.

3. Quote: If the new T/A’s scope clause is the same as the old one, Mainliners will now be included, but AAMT still gets to keep us separate. Now AACS guys, will have supper seniority over the Mainliners who have worked at Atlas for much longer, however the original AACSers will not work under our T/A with any of the same protections. What is good is that all new positions and new hires, whether they are foreign or not, will go on our list, under our contract. So, through attrition you guys are “bye bye.”

a. You state it here very clear: You/mainline/ALPA are not interested to calm down any problems with the "old" AACSers - for whatever reason - otherwise you would have made a clear cut: All or none of the AACSers are in the same Seniority List as the Mainliners. This solution is a very dirty one !!

b. As you know, we at AACS have different work rules and a different salary - not only by contract but as well by law.

Please show me and proof now, that the new hires (since NOV 2001) will have the same working conditions and salary than the mainliners starting at the same time as your contract is activated.

Or do I understand something wrong here: They will be on the Mainliniers Seniority List but under different, less good working conditions and less salary ? You pick the raisins and f*** the others ? That will not work ! Are they ALPA members and are they paying their membership fee ?

Silverthunder:
Thanks for the calm words and the open hand.

I think as well that we should sit together and clearify many details (of the TA), as I think, that several details won't work (e.g. under British regulations). US law and regulations don't work all over the world in the same way.

The problem with getting organized is mainly with BALPA not with AACS: As AACS is not an airline (regardless of the ownership by AAWWH or whoever owns AACS) but a British crew leasing company only, BALPA does not know exactly, if and how we fit into their scheme.
It is of course a problem, as we are "leased out" to Atlas, BA (still, as GSS is operating only 1 of the 2 aircraft) and now shortly to TNT. Who is the (one) airline, BALPA should talk with, if there is any problem ?
ALPA has the same problem, as their mandate ends at the US borders.
However, we asked BALPA several times to start the legally required organisation process, but they didn't (yet). Beside the above mentioned problems it looks like, that they are not the British AIRLINE but the British AIRWAYS Pilot Organisation, not being interested in 130 England based pilots. But as BALPA and ALPA under the same international IFALPA umbrella, I personally think it should be BALPA, who represents us.
We will try it again - let's see how it will work.

Intruder
3rd Jul 2002, 19:11
hifly:

"1. Wasn't/isn't there a (pending) court case, where mainline/ALPA intended to have the establishment of AACS being declared illegal by a court and then to get rid of AACS ?
This step was/is not intended to include AACS in the Seniority List, but to get rid of AACS only. "

ABSOLUTELY NOT!!!

Read the filing of the law suit! It specifically asked the court to declare AACS Crewmembers as within the class & craft of Atlas Crewmembers, and to put them under ALPA representation.

Please get your facts straight. Your "Employee Forum" representative has the facts available. Whether or not he has choosen to share them with you is yet another question...