PDA

View Full Version : W7 update

dazdaz1
5th Mar 2016, 13:17
I must admit my last update (no auto update) was September 2015 Today, as you do I thought maybe time for an update.

'Checking for update' went on and on and on zzzzz after 45 minutes I gave up. Did a virus check of the HD AVG free version no nasty finds.

Is it possible since September last year there might be a mega load of updates which might take more than 45 minutes from the Windows update site?

lomapaseo
5th Mar 2016, 14:19
I've seen even 1 update take oodles of time since then. I've learned to be patient and walk away before stopping the machine figuring that it knows more than I do.

Geordie_Expat
5th Mar 2016, 17:49
Is it possible since September last year there might be a mega load of updates which might take more than 45 minutes from the Windows update site?

Absolutely ! 6 months of updates would take much more than 45 minutes !

finncapt
5th Mar 2016, 17:52
I had the same problem.

Googled it and there are lots of suggestions.

I only use windows for a few programs that don't (probaly could) work with linux mint so decided the easiest way out of it was to update the only machine I use on win to win 10.

The intention was to then go back to 7 but can't be bothered.

It's a known problem which ms don't seem to want to solve - the devil in me thinks it's a way of pushing 10.

andytug
5th Mar 2016, 17:57
It's the Windows update process monopolizing the CPU - there are fixes for it but in the end you have to just let it update and eventually it'll sort itself out.

jimtherev
5th Mar 2016, 22:22
After the 'checking for updates' on and on and on thing, I gave up at that point, and let the m/c resume when I went to bed.
Worked then. I seem to remember, tho', that one time it stalled saying 'shall I restart?' or somesuch. Said yes the following morning.

dazdaz1
6th Mar 2016, 14:18
Thank you all for your replies, I'll click on the update and leave it until something happens.

Daz

gemma10
7th Mar 2016, 07:18
Have had the same problem, just gave up and let the pc sort itself out. One update I`m really not sure about is the "Malicious Software Removal" tool. I have a paid for super duper AV installed and wonder what possible reason I should install this. :confused: