PDA

View Full Version : Lancaster Sqdn in Buma WWII?

Load Toad
4th Mar 2016, 19:02
Dear All,
Could anyone tell me if any Lancaster Squadrons served in the Burma theatre in WWII - esp '44 / '45?

If so what capacity / operations they would have carried out?

Innominate
4th Mar 2016, 20:09
Lancasters would have joined Tiger Force for the invasion of Japan, if the US had not dropped the atomic bombs. Until VE Day Lancaters were too busy operating in Europe, but the RAF flew Liberators in the Far East.

Load Toad
14th Mar 2016, 03:04
I suspected as much - thanks very much.

I'm asking for a friend whose father whilst alive is now suffering dementia. My friends father was in the RAF during WW2 and has not spoken much abiout his service other than he was in Burma and also that he had flown Lancasters. Thus my friend concluded he flew Lancasters in Burma. (I suspect Liberators...).

Anyway - he would like to find more about his fathers RAF service - I've tried the search function and Google but I can't find out how one finds the service history of a relative...still alive. Has anyone a suggestion who to contact..?

His father seems to have had an interesting post service life too working on developing decoys for submarines.

Innominate
14th Mar 2016, 22:38
Details of how to obtain a copy of a serviceman's records are at https://www.gov.uk/get-copy-military-service-records. If your friend's father is able to sign the form (or if his wife can) the fee is waived. The records are full of jargon and abbreviations but there are plenty of people (not least ppruners) who can help interpret the records.

Load Toad
15th Mar 2016, 03:42
Thanks - I will forward the link to him.

WATB
16th Mar 2016, 20:38
279 squadron in the UK maintained from late (possibly September) 1945 a detachment of Lancaster ASR III based at Pegu, Burma (north of Rangoon & now known as Bago). On 279's disbandment in March 1946 the Lancasters at Pegu were absorbed by 1348 Air Sea Rescue Flight, which itself disbanded in May 1946.
Wish I knew more!

Load Toad
21st Mar 2016, 07:43
That's fantastic WATB - thank you very much

papajuliet
21st Mar 2016, 11:02
1348 Flight formed 15 6 45 at Agartala from a flight of the disbanding 292 squadron, converting Warwick crews to Liberators. Moved to Pegu 1 46. Lancasters arrived 2 46. Disbanded 15 5 46, the aircraft being sent to the Middle East.
Lancaster ASR3 - RF313 F - was on strength.

Source - RAF Flying Training and Support Units published by Air-Britain

Load Toad
22nd Mar 2016, 03:35
Thanks all - I have passed the information on - my friend I think may now be encouraged to search for his fathers Service records with HM Govt.

Once again the users of PPRUNE have been helpful and a great source of information.