PDA

View Full Version : LGW- DUS & LGW- Koln

t211
3rd Mar 2016, 19:29
Please can anybody from Easy Jet Tell me why they are giving Up Dusseldorf and Koln Fom April From Gatwick I live very Close to LGW and do not want to Drive or go by Public Transport to LTN or STN.
Thanking you In Advance
T211
I Am a Retired SFO For Airlines

AerRyan
3rd Mar 2016, 20:20
Would you not logically ask this in either the Gatwick or Easyjet threads?

Also, a tip. "Köln" is known as "Cologne" in English

wallp
3rd Mar 2016, 20:38
Please can anybody from Easy Jet Tell me why they are giving Up Dusseldorf and Koln Fom April From Gatwick I live very Close to LGW and do not want to Drive or go by Public Transport to LTN or STN.
Thanking you In Advance
T211
I Am a Retired SFO For Airlines

There are no flights to either Düsseldorf or Cologne from Luton so for Dusseldforf you'd probably need LHR or LCY and Cologne it's STN.

Dont know why both routes are ending but presumably either lack of demand or issues with the airports in question have driven the decision?

Wycombe
3rd Mar 2016, 20:44
DUS also available daily with Flybe from SOU - might be another option!

t211
3rd Mar 2016, 20:50
HI Wycombe and Wallp, Thank you both for your replies When I have travelled on the Lgw- Dus Flight they have always been busy, When I found out that the DUS was finnishing Easy Jet told me to book to Koln. I think it must be a problem with certain German Airports or Slots, At my age i do not want to start driving round the M25 /M1 before or after flights. Thank you once again.

T211

AerRyan
3rd Mar 2016, 20:57
You can be fairly sure it's not Slots.

Have you ever heard of Yield? It's the main component in whether a route is viable or not. Even if loads are high, if yield is muck then the route is muck.

EI-BUD
3rd Mar 2016, 21:07
T211,
Getting slots at the right time of day into DUS maybe the issue and at the face of it DUS should be a winner due to the lack of Ryanair city size, industry etc. Hard to know the specifics unless you are on the inside. EasyJet from memory only had a daily evening service which certainly doesn't fit to their business traveller agenda, so one could surmise it is slots and commitments to the morning slots at Gatwick.

You prob already know that you can get BA, Eurowings /LH ex LHR... May not be attractive though.

EI -BUD

t211
3rd Mar 2016, 21:24
T211,
Getting slots at the right time of day into DUS maybe the issue and at the face of it DUS should be a winner due to the lack of Ryanair city size, industry etc. Hard to know the specifics unless you are on the inside. EasyJet from memory only had a daily evening service which certainly doesn't fit to their business traveller agenda, so one could surmise it is slots and commitments to the morning slots at Gatwick.

You prob already know that you can get BA, Eurowings /LH ex LHR... May not be attractive though.

EI -BUD
Thank you for your reply i do agree that just having an afternoon evening service is not very attractive for the business user. Most of the people who i spoke to on the flight to DUS were in fact business people mainly in the computer industry and also people going to big exhibitions like myself. My Destiation is in fact Dortmund but as i live mostly very very near Gatwick it is not very attractive to Travel to Luton or STN before or after a flight as when i was flying for a living i did it many many times i am getting old and trying to minimise my Time on the M25 or M1. I am sure you understand. Thank you once again.T211

LandingConfig
4th Mar 2016, 13:14
Given the gap that exists now, perhaps Eurowings will consider launching flights to LGW to compliment their LHR flights.

vctenderness
4th Mar 2016, 16:35
The Easyjet DUS flight is not well timed. We used it just before Christmas and due a delay ex LGW had to divert to Cologne due to night curfew.

Was not happy as the bus service provided between cologne and Düsseldorf took us to the airport not the city so still had to make a further journey and by now very late at night.

EZY should retire it to a more user friendly time of day rather than ditch it:ugh:

Fairdealfrank
10th Mar 2016, 14:33
Would you not logically ask this in either the Gatwick or Easyjet threads?

Also, a tip. "Köln" is known as "Cologne" in English

Yes, and "Mumbai" is "Bombay" in English, "Beijing" is "Peking" in English, but that doesn't stop the Marathi name for Bombay and the Mandarin name for Peking being used widely.

Let's not start all this again.......

virginblue
10th Mar 2016, 16:11
Probably has to do with the ongoing Ryanair/Germanwings bloodbath on STN-CGN. They have been selling tickets for 10-15 GBP regularly over months and months. This will probably lure a lot of passengers to the CGNSTN who would otherwise consider travelling from another London airport and/or DUS.

Btw, DUS also lost its STN link recently - at DUS, it is down to LHR and LCY now that STN and LGW are gone.