PDA

View Full Version : What's this then?

Princess PP
2nd Mar 2001, 18:17
".......ATPL written examinations with Performance A,......"

I found this reference in another thread and was wondering if somebody could explain to me what "Performance A" is.

I have found PPRuNe incredibly useful for working out the route to be taken for the ATPL, but this phrase keeps popping up and I'm finding it hard to read between the lines.

Is this an older CAA thing that is not now part of the new JAA exams?

Please excuse my ignorance.

Gaz1
2nd Mar 2001, 18:40
As I understand it, and someone please correct me if I'm wrong, within the ATPL exams an aircraft performance paper must be taken. This is either A, B or C. Performance A regards to that of an A320/B737 and is needed (I think) for employement on large jets.
(Perf C may be in PPL theory, but I'm not sure on that one)

Hope thats of some help, Gaz1

GT
2nd Mar 2001, 19:10
Perf. A dies at the end of June this year, along with all the other CAA professional examinations. You would only need to worry about it if you are in the CAA system of professional pilot examinations. Under JAR a performance examination is included in the ATPL subjects (it was an add-on for the CAA ATPL). Hope this helps.

Regards, GT.

SKYYACHT
2nd Mar 2001, 20:24
Princess PP, Performance A refers to the schedule of aeroplanes in Group A. This effectively means that in essence, should a failure of the most critical engine occur, a forced landing should not be necessary. In order that this criteria may be met, calcualtions have to be made in order to establish what weight the aeroplane may safely (and legally) lift off the ground, and still clear a 35' screen height at the end of the take off distance available. Naturally, weather and other conditions will affect the "lifting capacity" of the wing, and weight may need to be reduced accordingly. The calculations will also resolve the speeds at which go/no-go decisions are made, and rotation speed/safe climb speed. In days of old, when Pontious was a pilot, these calculations were made manually using graphs/and-or tables, but as in all things the computer does much of the number crunching these days.

Other performance schedules exist, such as groups B,C, E etc, and these lesser groups are more likely to need to land following the failure of the most critical engine.

Hope that helps.

Tailwinds.....

:)

Noggin
2nd Mar 2001, 23:24
There are two issue regarding Performance. Aircraft are certified in accordance with a performance schedule of which Schedule A is explained above. These schedules will not go away, but the system of examination for them is changing.

Under the older CAA system you were required to take a performance examination that matched the category of aircraft you wished to fly. The CAA Performance examinations were based upon a hyperthetical aeroplane.

Under JAR-FCL there are 3 performance groups A, B and C which are similar to the UK certification groups A, C and E. These are examined as an integral part of the JAR-FCL professional examinations. Instead of taking an additional Performance A examination based on a Hyperthetical aeroplane, the intention is that you will do an examination on the performance of the actual aeroplane that you are going to fly as part of the Aircraft Type Rating Course. This could be considered as a more practical application of performance examinations.

Princess PP
3rd Mar 2001, 13:41
Thanks everybody,

Your replies were very helpful and thorough, I didn't realise quite how much was involved!

Noggin,

".....you will do an examination on the performance of the actual aeroplane that you are going to fly as part of the Aircraft Type Rating Course."

Does this mean that aeroplane performance exam will not be tackled during the 14 ATPL exams, but at the end of frozen ATPL training, prior to working for an airline (i.e once you know which particular aircraft you are likely to fly)? The Aircraft Type Rating is one of the last things you do, along with MCC, etc?

I think this question will highlight my wooly understanding of the Aircraft Type Rating, perhaps you could explain which types of airliners would be included in an average frozen ATPL's Type Rating?

Many thanks,

PPP

Wee Weasley Welshman
3rd Mar 2001, 18:56
Indeed I hold Perf A under the pre-JAA licensing ATPL and am currently preparing for the Performace exam as part of my initial conversion training to a jet. I therefore suspect that my PerfA is superfluous to requirements but I am not sure. If this is the case then things are easier under JAA as the old PerfA paper was much larger and longer than the one I am facing as part of type training.

F3
3rd Mar 2001, 19:20
WWW -I'm glad to hear the perf exam taken during the 737 Type Rating isn't worse than Perf A,I have often wondered,as I found Perf A a difficult subject.(although the CAA exam itself was OK in the end) Hope all is going well.

Delta Wun-Wun
3rd Mar 2001, 23:55
I believe the performance exam under JAR is a more general exam covering the main points.Then once you obtain a job you would undergo a performance exam in relation to the type of aircraft you are going to fly during your type rating.

------------------
GET THE BLOODY NOSE DOWN!