PDA

View Full Version : FAA operators in the Carib.

muchacho
24th Jun 2002, 18:59
I have finally decided to convert my Canadian ATP to FAA ATP in the next 2 weeks. Besides Nevis and BVI air, what other companies appreciate a Canadian with FAA ATPL?

Thanks in advance

blue_side_up
25th Jun 2002, 01:17
Muchacho,

Besides the two companies you've listed, I can't think of any others in the Windwards/Leewards, other than those in the US Virgin Islands and Puerto Rico, that fly on the N register. For those in the US islands, I believe you may be shut out unless you have a green card, FAA licence or not. Unless you can see other advantages to the FAA ticket, you may want to have a talk with Nevis Express and Fly BVI about thier hiring plans, before you spend your money. Then again, maybe you've already done that?

In my experience a Canadian ticket is looked on more favourably than the FAA in many ex-British islands, and regardless, the conversion requirements (for a validation, or to get a full local licence) would be the same for both I expect.

Let us know what you find/decide.

Good luck.

muchacho
25th Jun 2002, 02:06
Blue ...

I talked to Nevis and BVI ... they definitely want FAA. So I figured it wont hurt to have the ticket also Pacific wings in the East

Much

Captain Stable
25th Jun 2002, 09:08
On the basis of just about any licence - Canadian, US, UK - you can have an OECS (Organisation of Eastern Caribbean States) licence issued by the DCA in Antigua.

I don't know of any Canadian-registered aircraft in the Caribbean. N-reg aircraft only in the American islands or privately-owned, apart from those mentioned.

Almost all companies fly on the local register. (VR-, VP-, T9-, J8- etc.) so you will have to get a local licence.

Cathar
28th Jun 2002, 14:41
Sorry to be a pendant but I don't think that there are any VR registrations marks in the carribean any more. Some UK overseas territories used to use this mark but had to change when Hong Kong returned to China (a long story). Also VP is not a single nationality mark but part of the nationality mark for a number (but not all) of the UK Overseas Territories, eg VP-C = Cayman Islands, VP-B = Bermuda.

Captain Stable
28th Jun 2002, 16:50
Thanks for the correction - I did actually know most of that. Forgot about VR, though :) The point I was making is that most aircraft are on local registry, not flagged-out.

BTW, the word you were searching for is pedant! ;)

Cathar
28th Jun 2002, 18:35
Oops. Well some people do say that I should be hung (or is it hanged).:eek:

striking a chord
5th Jul 2002, 10:50
Does anyone know if St Lucia accepts the UK ATPL I am going to work there soon in a non flying job, but would like to look around the islands for a flying job eventually I have UKATPL 5000hrs
should I get a FAA licence also before I go.
I am unsure which islands recognise UK licences I also have Australian CPL
Can anyone help

blue_side_up
5th Jul 2002, 18:05
striking a chord,

Read the above posts re: FAA ticket.
UK ATPL will be accepted as basis for validation/conversion in all OECS (Organization of Eastern Caribbean States) territories. Or you can use your Aussie CPL for the same. The req's will be no different. The licence is valid in all OECS countries. Better if you can get an operator to sponsor the validation/conversion.
The OECS DCA (Directorate of Civil Aviation) web site may be some help:

http://www.oecs.org/DCA_WEBsite/dcahome.htm

Cheers

Captain Stable
6th Jul 2002, 00:03
St. Lucia is part of the OECS, all of whose states are regulated by the DCA, whose main office is in Antigua. Taxi from V.C.Bird International Airport (ANU) is about EC$20. Go and talk to Mr. Lim (or rather, get your ear bent about playing golf and whatever else takes his fancy). Take along the medical certificate you've just had done at a cost of about EC$25, pay the fee for a St. Lucia licence and walk out with said licence in your hand. That's it.

btw, fee varies from state to state. I've seen as little as EC$30, varying up to EC$500.

EC$2.70 = US$1.00

blue_side_up
6th Jul 2002, 03:47
Captain Stable,

Unfortunately the venerable Mr. Lim retired about 1 1/2 yrs ago. He has been replaced by Mr. Jones, who is a 'character' as well, but in a very different way. Not a bad guy, but don't even suggest to him that you may know the rules better than him!

Regards walking in and paying your money, and walking out with your licence - Capt.Stable, I do not even suggest you have anything less than a full wealth of experience gained in the Caribbean, but perhaps you've been back in the 1st world too long! ;) It will probably take a day or two to be issued, provided you have all the req'd doc's with you when you see Mr.Jones. Also, you're now req'd to write the local Air Law exam for any licence, plus any other req's that Mr.Jones may deem appropriate based on a complex formula which involves angle of the sun and moon and inversely proportional to the remaining time before lunch/quitting :D :D

However, you're bang on with the taxi fare - $19EC or $7US!

I can't really comment on the varying costs of local licences, but it would not surprise me one bit if that were the case!

Ahhhh, to be drinking a Wadadli (or Hairoun) on the beach! :cool:

Cheers

Captain Stable
6th Jul 2002, 10:01
Ah. It indeed sounds as if some of my information is sadly out of date - many thanks for the corrections.

I knew Mr. Jones, but never dealt with him. It sounds as if he's made a few changes!

And my preferred brew was Carib ;)

flufdriver
6th Jul 2002, 13:42
You know, it is amazing how similar the process of getting anything aviation related done in the various Island states of the Caribbean. But yet, the region has never managed to get together and form a cohesive aviation industry that would be viable and competitive, too many little Kingdoms (I believe)

No matter where you need to get a local Licence from, every Civil avaiation department has their own quirks which have nothing to do with actually qualifying for a given licence. But, if you want the Licence and if you want to have a relatively unharrassed flying career in a given place, you must learn how to do the dance that is required by local (DCA) custom.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: