PDA

View Full Version : Ryanairs's Tim Jeans goes to MyTravel Low Cost Airline

763 jock
22nd Jun 2002, 23:19
So it now seems that Tim Jeans (Ryanair Sales and Marketing Director) has been "poached" by MyTravel. Did he jump or was he pushed?:cool:

OneWorld22
24th Jun 2002, 06:41
Tim Jeans has gone to MyTravel because they're Manchester based, that's where his family is and he always told MOL that's where he wanted to be eventually based. So when the oppurtunity came he took it. He'll be a loss to Ryanair, no doubt, he's overseen the huge jump in operations and revenues at the company and no doubt he'll set MyTravel well on their way.

AlanSinfield
24th Jun 2002, 18:47
Tim Jeans, Ryanair's Sales and Marketing Director is Leaving Ryanair and Joining MyTravel

See

http://www.travelweekly.co.uk/tw_news/article.asp?ID=18521

gyrohead
24th Jun 2002, 19:58
Rat leaving the ship????:cool:

fokker70
25th Jun 2002, 10:32
O come on hardly a sinking ship! Good luck to TJ - He will not take any C*** particularly from the Travel Trade - Very single minded - MYT lack low cost expertise - TJ will help bridge the gap....Watch them closely.:)

Desk Driver
25th Jun 2002, 11:04
Fokker 70

Your right TJ won't take any Crap from the Travel Trade.

But.

That's all he's gonna get.

Remember he rolled them over on commisions on passenger service tax. (Which FR have just been ordered to pay £250'000 to the trade by the appeals court.)

As with all Tour op's but especially after the disaster of My Trav's half yearly's the Trade will be relied upon to shift what direct & Going Places can't.

I doubt that he will be allowed to insult the trade this time. Having said that he's on the front page of the Travel Weekly asking for bygones to be bygones already.

I personally think that all 4 major tour op's are planning their own version of a Low Cost and in the end all we will of ended up doing is rebranding & re inventing Charter Flights. I forsee Easy, Ryan & Buzz will be forced to concentrate on the non traditional leisure routes. I can see them pulling out of AGP, ALC, FAO, TFS & PMI as soon as the 4 (or might be 3 by then) Tour op groups have sorted their Low costs out.

Thats my opinion anyway

fokker70
26th Jun 2002, 12:39
Desk Driver - agree that TJ will not be forgiven for the past, not sure that MYT would want the travel trade involved in lo cost - they cannot afford it. You are right the MYT lo cost will be the existing routes offered with better flexability etc and at better SO prices. Easy, Go (Now Easy) Baby particularly strong on the Sun routes and growing - Big SO markets to AGP FAO and ALC in particular. They will not pull away from these markets and the charter guys will struggle to match their prices. They need to do a bit more than take the food off the planes, they need to start with a blank sheet of paper and look at all their costs including staff, airports, commission etc. The charter guys should have done someting about protecting their market a long time ago -
Next 12 months will be V interesting.

Desk Driver
26th Jun 2002, 13:15
On the whole I agree with you Fokker, but , I think the package Holiday standard 1 or 2 weeks is a dying breed. I think 2 weeks package in the sun is going to go the way of the Butlins Holiday, (Still around but not a touch on what it was.)

Travellers are becoming more & more independant, which is probably because of the low cost operations. Therefore to survive the big Tour op's are like you say going to have to adopt a low cost mentality & business plan to take on the likes of Easy & Ryan at their own game, on the Shorthaul Sun routes at least.

I just feel that My Travel, Air 2000, Thomas Cook & Monarch airlines are just going to prove to strong in these regions and Easy, Buzz & Ryan may end up having to look elsewhere.

One thing for sure there sure as hell ain't enough room for all of them. Big consolidations on the way the Big four Toyr op's will definately become the Big three perhaps even the Big 2 who knows.

Ian Farquharson
26th Jun 2002, 15:37
I understand the new routes are to be launced from a major UK airport which currently has no low cost carrier, and its not the obvious one !!

Buster the Bear
26th Jun 2002, 17:17
Manchester to Spain for the price of a pair of Jeans!