PDA

View Full Version : Use of the Send To menu

Loose rivets
29th Feb 2016, 23:21
I've talked before about my use of the Send To menu, and I noticed a Geek discussion about its power. I really find it useful, but one thing mentioned was using Shift Right Click Send To which gave a much bigger list of targets.

I played with it, but only for a moment.

Today, I planed to send a few chapters of a short story to a fellow wannabe writer, and not only was the file not there, neither was the folder.

An hour later I had found some backups but not the 'working' file, or indeeded, the Folder Marked 'Working' which one of my File Explorers is tailored to go to from the task bar.

It's been there for 15 years and now it was simply not there. I blamed W10.

However, in my sedative (brandy) calmed state, I searched and searched all of the folders on my four drives that had sub-directories. That maddening skipping of the Tree can cause the tree to move the instant one presses left click as I'm sure you all know.

Nothing.

I idly looked in Recycle Bin. Here's what I wrote to my pal.

To my absolute dismay, I found a MASS of files and folders in my Recycle Bin. No, I have no idea, except that I have been practising with the Send to (right click on a given file or folder.) I'd read that using Shift Right Click gave a hugely expanded set of options - This is true for many W7 selections in you FILE explorer and it seems, Windows generally.

Okay, I'd been trying that, but to send all these folders to the brink of an abyss is mind-boggling. God knows how much stuff was there - I just recovered it with no further ado. I can't think of any other way this could have happened. That eff'n silly hopping of the file Tree couldn't explain the mass loss. Or near loss. Phew!

Keef in his calm, said of the tree-hopping, "Annoying, isn't it?" My neighbours know I call it something else, but in this case it is true there simply wasn't enough time/goes to send a wildly varied set of folders.

If I'd tied Ccleaner into the Bin, it would have been a serious loss.

Mr Optimistic
29th Feb 2016, 23:32
OK, I won't do it then, whatever it was you did ! Something wrong with copy, paste, send?

Loose rivets
1st Mar 2016, 13:13
The SendTo function seems little used, and most folk on PPRuNe had their own ways, but at least they seem very for it on How-To Geek. It's so fast, but does mean the target list has to be tailored because even footling with the shift is tiresome when say, picking out photos to a oft-used folder. I can't imagine how it could be easier. Dragging can be very quick, but best done with two File Explorers open. Cut and Paste is very involved, especially if going to the Tree (do folk still call it that? ) with its habit of hopping at the moment of pressing.

The thing is, I have no idea how this happened, but trying out that Shift Send-to seems the most likely. I did not action anything at that time, certainly not c 40 files and folders. However, my mind is wide open. Full Kaspersky scan this morning and they've invited me to send the second scan of my system today with the one-time .exe they email.

The absence of a full backup to a small book I'm writing I'll excuse myself for. Eye surgery (back of the) has got a lot of my attention lately. Anyway, about half the work was missing until the last shot of 6 backups. Thank you Samsung USB backup drive which had the files there (should the Bin not have sent everything back okay.)