PDA

View Full Version : Fireworks on EI

Just a spotter
29th Feb 2016, 09:18
Reported by The Irish Independent (28th Feb) that an EI flight from Paris to Dublin had to be cleared while passengers were boarding as fireworks were found in a seat pocket.

Aer Lingus flight evacuated after schoolkids bring fireworks on board - Independent.ie (http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/aer-lingus-flight-evacuated-after-schoolkids-bring-fireworks-on-board-34494306.html)

The stated, speculated source of the banned items was children from an earlier leg/flight. While that might have been the source, without an investigation that would be to assume a benign origin.

JAS

NSEU
1st Mar 2016, 02:53
So much for post-flights security checks...

What are "post-flights security checks"?

What happened to baggage screening before the flight... and basic cabin cleaning after the flight?

Stanwell
1st Mar 2016, 04:11
I'm afraid, ol' mate, that these days, 'basic cabin cleaning' means clearing the cabin of 'the great unwashed' - i.e., passengers.
As for seat-back pockets, just don't put your un-gloved hand in there.

Metro man
1st Mar 2016, 06:05
Perhaps Ryanair have the right idea by not having seat pockets.

Aluminium shuffler
1st Mar 2016, 08:14
I seem to recall a similar event with a UK loco and French airport quite a while back.

jugofpropwash
3rd Mar 2016, 03:51
Am I the only one who finds it less worrisome that the cabin crew missed it than that the fireworks made it through security in the first place?

NSEU
3rd Mar 2016, 04:21
NSEU: where I fly, cabin crew sweep the cabin both before and after each flight to unsure nothing untoward is left on board.

Thanks. I assumed cabin crew would do a quick scan for left luggage in overhead lockers, but not be required to do an intensive check in seat pockets and other nooks and crannies (especially after a very long flight). It seems to me like closing the gate after the horse has bolted. On the airline I used to work for, the cleaners, and in some cases engineers, not infrequently found items belonging to passengers in various locations (which cabin crew would not be expected to look). If a passenger deliberately hid an item, it might never be found.

Am I the only one who finds it less worrisome that the cabin crew missed it than that the fireworks made it through security in the first place?

See 3rd message in this thread ;)