PDA

View Full Version : The end of flying for private vintage jets?

N707ZS
29th Feb 2016, 05:55
Could this mean the end of flying for vintage jets.

http://publicapps.caa.co.uk/docs/33/ProposedMPD1601R1.pdf

Checklist Charlie
29th Feb 2016, 06:14
Not the end of the world but an additional and for all appearances, a quite reasonable maintenance action to prolong and advance the safe flight operations of the identified power plants.

CC

bvcu
29th Feb 2016, 08:40
Common sense really , few years since a fatal piston provost crash i believe where an aged flex hose was the issue which resulted in something similar for piston types. Be interested to know if theres any repair capability left for these components any more to airworthiness standards ?

clunckdriver
29th Feb 2016, 15:55
Yes, totally common sense, in fact I am on my way to the UK next month to collect the new diaphragms for the fuel pumps from the Gipsy 1C installed on our DH Hornet Moth, they have been on the engine since heaven knows when, and are simply a smaller version of the turbine aircraft pumps in question. {only Moths with non -gravity fuel feed require these pumps by the way, with the exception of some fully aerobatic modified aircraft.}Hoses are another "single point of failure" which need changing after time, more so as some modern fuels and fluids are not compatible with the old style hose compounds.

India Four Two
29th Feb 2016, 16:13
Does anyone know which crash the CAA were referring to?

Lynxman
29th Feb 2016, 18:27
Shoreham Hunter.

Basil
29th Feb 2016, 19:06
Looks like they're being pretty lenient.
ISTR a Varsity crash some years ago which was attributed to a damaged diaphragm.

clunckdriver
29th Feb 2016, 20:55
Basil,Is that why Varsities looked rather pregnant?

Basil
29th Feb 2016, 21:13
Basil,Is that why Varsities looked rather pregnant?
That's cruel!
It was a custom for studes to lie in that bomb-aimer's station for landing with their noses a few inches above the runway.
The popularity of this practice waned somewhat after one had its undercarriage retract upon touchdown and the bomb-aimer's blister was deformed. Fortunately, on that occasion it was unoccupied.

RAF Oakington Varsity 1967

Less Hair
2nd Mar 2016, 11:09
We had one laying around at RAF Gatow besides the runway for years. Looked like belly landed.

tj916
2nd Mar 2016, 15:05
Nice Ford Anglia there.

Wander00
2nd Mar 2016, 15:31
I thought that too, I had a white one, 429YNO, bought in Newmarket about 3 years old for £250!

BEagle
2nd Mar 2016, 19:16
Nice Anglia - there was such a thing? I owned (half) a 100E Anglebox which hissed and shuddered its way between Somerset and South Woodford during my university years - my brother owned the other half. Until he turned right whilst being overtaken and knackered the right wing having lost a scrap with a Dormobile travelling at speed :uhoh:

Re. diaphragms, my experience was that it was always prudent to keep them well...lubricated :E, in order to avoid potential problems a few months later :ooh:!!

Routine anti-det runs to keep seals and other components in working order seems little price to pay.

Noah Zark.
2nd Mar 2016, 22:30
A Dormobile travelling at speed? REALLY?