PDA

View Full Version : Route query BKK-LHR

Navy_Adversary
25th Feb 2016, 08:27
Last night I travelled on Thai Airways TG916 from BKK to LHR and on take off we followed the Eva Air BR067, both flights are a 777-3ER.
The Thai flight arrived at LHR 16 mins before the Eva according to flightradar which surprised me.

On looking at their routes the Eva went from Baku-Bucharest-Prague-Antwerp whilst the TG went on a more northerly route vias Minsk-Vilnius-North of Berlin and feet wet at The Hague.

Why would two airlines with the same timings and same aircraft use different routes, is it because Eva are a Taiwanese airline and they are not allowed to use Russian airspace?
I appreciate the Ukraine factor still comes into play but surely BR would want to use the quickest/shortest routing.
TIA

Navy_Adversary
26th Feb 2016, 09:17
Same again last night according to flightradar, only the TG went nearer to Moscow and Riga, it must be something to do with BR not going into Russian airspace, after all it was flying for 23 minutes longer than TG916.

Please move to Spectators balcony if you want as there may be more response there.:8

Fairdealfrank
10th Mar 2016, 14:50
Why would two airlines with the same timings and same aircraft use different routes, is it because Eva are a Taiwanese airline and they are not allowed to use Russian airspace?

Same again last night according to flightradar, only the TG went nearer to Moscow and Riga, it must be something to do with BR not going into Russian airspace, after all it was flying for 23 minutes longer than TG916.

Why would BR be banned from Russian airspace?

It may explain routing TPE-LHR/AMS/VIE via BKK, but it doesn't apply to TPE-CDG. On the other hand, could it also have something to do with 5th freedom rights between BKK and LHR/AMS/VIE but not between BKK and CDG?