PDA

View Full Version : Gap Year or straight to Uni?

Jimbo_the_JetSet
24th Jun 2002, 15:28
I'm currently doing my A-Levels and considering a Gap Year before going to University. For my GapYear I intend to enroll onto a French language course in France and learn French and do some temporary work in France for a year before going to Uni.

Would a gap year help me towards getting an airline pilot job/sponsorship? Or do airlines prefer candidates who went straight to university?
Furthermore, I am about 1 year older than everyone else in my year, so when I graduate from a 4 year University degree course I would be 24 rather than 23. I heard that British Airways prefer their cadets to be as close to 18 as possible. Could a Gap Year therefore decrease my chances of getting onto this scheme?

The advantages of a gap year are:
1. i would have learnt a skill for life
2. being fluent in a foreign language may make me more employable

Disadvantages:
1. the age factor- i would have to apply for the TEP at 24 rather than 23 (this may decrease my chance?!)
2. if i don't get onto the TEP i would have to fund my own training and therefore be even older when i apply for a pilot job.

I would really like to do the Gap Year but at the end of the day, my dream has the highest priority so if a Gap Year is useless and does not increase my chances of becoming a pilot, then i suppose i would just go straight to university.

Does anyone know if the advantages of a gap year could increase my chances of becoming an airline pilot subject to the disadvantages? Which route would you choose (straight to uni or gap) and why?

Your help is much appreciated.

FlyingForFun
24th Jun 2002, 16:00
A completely un-informed reply here from someone who's not (yet) in the industry, but here goes anyway:

I've seen several threads on here complaining about how it's harder for British pilots to get jobs since JAR has come about. Specifically, European legislation means that anyone from a European country can work in any other European country. And JAR makes it much easier for pilots from one country to fly in another. However, most airlines (quite rightly, IMHO) require their pilots to speak the language of the country in which the airline is based - and this provides a barrier for British pilots wanting to work elsewhere in Europe. On the other hand, just about every professional pilot across the world speaks English, since most ATC is in English - therefore it's relatively easy for European pilots to fly for British airlines, but not vice versa.

I don't know how justified these "complaints" are, but being able to speak French fluently enough to get by living in France for a year would certainly give you a big advantage in that you'd be able to apply to French airlines as well as British ones once you get your license, giving you a huge advantage over many of us.

I also can't see any logical reason why any airline would count that experience against you. And it sounds like a whole load of fun, and a great way of experience life in a whole new light. :D

I'd definitely say Go for it!

Good luck,

FFF
-------------

Sagey
24th Jun 2002, 16:08
Think I am going to get flamed for this ;) oh dear lol

Oh well here goes, in my opinion you shouldn't base every decision you have to make in life on whether it will help or not you becoming an airline pilot. Each airline is an employer, there isn't a set rule on what is an airline pilot and you don't need to all complete the same degree, go to the same uni etc and appear to them like you have just got off the wannabe tread mill. Different employers look for different characteristics and if one airline doesn't think you are suitable to them, another may well think you are the ideal candidate.

If you take a gap year make sure you utilise it, earn some money to pay for Uni and enjoy, or gain extra skills such as a language. There is no point in taking a gap year to squander it by lying in bed all day etc. Secondly the important decision is whether you, at the present time have had enough of education and therefore feel a year away will recharge the batteries and allow you to prosper at University when you finally get there.

Oh and for the record there is no set rule that you have to complete your degree to apply to British Airways sponsorship or any other. You can apply whilst you are there, and drop out or if you are ending your course negotiate to finish Uni and then start training if you are successful.

Wish you all the best in whatever you choose, just make sure you look at the wider picture.

Sagey

MikeSamuel
24th Jun 2002, 18:49
I'm just coming up to my last A level exam now. I decided to take a gap year in Year 12, and am really pleased how it has worked out so far.

I've been given a placement in TRW Aerospace in Birmingham, and am also being supported in terms of furthering my German and university level Maths (to keep it fresh in my mind!). They also are sending me on a residential "Business Awareness Course". The pay is good, and although Birmingham isn't the exotic gap year ideal, it's a lot more than many other mates have got planned!
I'm going to use just about all the cash for flying, so in this sense, I see it as a vast help towards my career prospects.

If you are serious about a gap year, check out www.yini.org.uk which is the Year in Industry scheme website. They also offer you a chance to travel for a few months at the end of the gap year with Raleigh International if travel is what you are looking for.

Plus, BA aren't the be all and end all of flying, but if you can find any of the websites for the cadet pilot groups that BA have recruited, you will notice that it's normally only 1 or 2 out of 16 or so that are anywhere near 18! - Although, that isn't saying that you have more chance if you do go to Uni! (Not trying to spark off another Uni or not debate!)

Good Luck,

MS :cool:

redsnail
24th Jun 2002, 20:05
Give yourself the Gap year. It'll be good for you. You'll grow up faster too. (read mature)
Agree with what has already been said.

loganairlad
27th Jun 2002, 22:00
I did a gap year in 1999-2000 through YINI (see someone else's post) and then went on to do my degree. I've just completed my penultimate year of uni and am flying in a Uni Air Squadron loving every minute.

My gap year was with an insurance company and I study Economics now.

KEY POINT 1: The management experience/ team skills I gained in my gap year aided me greatly in getting on the UAS and being a better leader - the clincher to doing well at a BA assessment centre or OASC - the subject you study or whether your gap-year was relevant to flying doesn't matter IMHO.

KEY POINT 2: Back in 1999 when I took my gap-year the employment outlook for cadet pilots was great - BA, BMI, AMM etc.
Now it's awful, so maybe if you do a gap year by the time you graduate it will be great again?

BIASED POINT: Take advantage of the opportunities provided by UAS at uni - who knows, you may decide flying Eurofighter and drinking the cheapest beer in the universe is more exciting than programming the FMC on an A320 all day!