PDA

View Full Version : ADS-B And Aerobatics?

Sunfish
24th Feb 2016, 05:31
In another forum there is an account of what I believe was an IFR rated, ADS-B equipped aircraft that I take to be an RV with a question.

According to him he was performing aerobatics and in the process, he alleges "he triggered Three RA's in commercial aircraft above him in controlled airspace." My confusion is how ads-b is even relevant to TCAS?

His other concern was that he appeared to have lost GPS position during aerobatics and his ADS-B was therefore intermittent.

Sorry for the rambling description. Does aerobatics give ATC heart palpitations?

Derfred
24th Feb 2016, 05:53
TCAS does not use ADS-B, it uses conventional mode-C transponder transmissions.

A high rate of climb by an aerobatic aircraft could conceivably set off a TCAS RA even if the airspace limits were not exceeded.

Hasherucf
24th Feb 2016, 07:24
His other concern was that he appeared to have lost GPS position during aerobatics and his ADS-B was therefore intermittent.

Satellites are up , GPS antenna faces up. You can guess how that relates to aerobatics

junior.VH-LFA
24th Feb 2016, 09:20
I've been doing a lot of aerobatic work in an ADS-B equipped aircraft recently and yes, you will lose GPS position frequently as you'd expect.

Sunfish
24th Feb 2016, 18:05
I forgot to add that this allegedly happened in the USA.