PDA

View Full Version : Captain Winkle Brown

Aussie Bob
23rd Feb 2016, 04:16
Sadly Captain Brown passed away recently but he held the record for the most types of aircraft flown and this article is worth a read ....

Eric 'Winkle' Brown, Britain's 'greatest pilot' who survived 11 crashes, dies aged 97 (http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-02-22/eric-winkle-brown-pilot-dies-aged-97/7189902)

Stationair8
23rd Feb 2016, 04:27
Amazing man, his book is a great read.

Some good obituaries in the various UK newspaper as well.

RIP.

Rotor Work
23rd Feb 2016, 07:20
Thanks for posting the link Aussie Bob
487 Aircraft,
wonder if he flew the Dornier DO 27?

aroa
23rd Feb 2016, 07:28
His flying extraordinary, his exploits legendary, and his books and articles just fabulous and fascinating.
The last of those amazing UK test pilots.
RIP Winkle indeed

Bergerie1
23rd Feb 2016, 07:54
Yes, a truly great aviator, try this BBC programme:-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szten4iypCM

Arm out the window
23rd Feb 2016, 08:01
His book, "Wings on my Sleeve", is a great read, and told in a matter-of-fact style that shows how humble and nice a bloke he must have been.

Some of the things that he got up to in aircraft were bloody amazing!

Checklist Charlie
23rd Feb 2016, 08:15
Take time to have a look at this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=szten4iypCM

CC

aussie027
23rd Feb 2016, 08:55
The man was a living legend.

I am wondering if his passing on Sun will even get a mention on TV in the lamestream media.

If Yeager died tomorrow I'm sure it would be on TV everywhere (in the Western world at least) within 12-24hrs.
Many would say Brown's achievement were greater than his. It would be great to see some general public acknowledgement at least for one of the worlds greatest ever pilots.
His records of aircraft types flown and 2407 carrier landings will never be broken.

Aussie Bob
23rd Feb 2016, 09:04
wonder if he flew the Dornier DO 27?

You would have to think so Dave!

Centaurus
28th Feb 2016, 05:36
My guess is 99% of readers on Pprune Australian GA Forum would never had heard of former British Test Pilot, Eric `Winkle` Brown who died recently at the age of 97 in England.

Could I recommend you put away the smart phone for a while and read of some of his exploits mentioned in the main forum Rumours and News. Then go to a library and read some of his books if they are there (which, sadly, I doubt). Time to try Amazon, maybe? If ever there was a real Biggles, Eric Brown would be close.

http://www.pprune.org/rumours-news/575081-eric-winkle-brown.html

TBM-Legend
28th Feb 2016, 06:04
Well written. I've meet "Winkle" on three occasions over the years and what a fine gentleman he was. Always willing to talk anything flying and aeroplanes...

dhavillandpilot
28th Feb 2016, 06:16
A truly remarkable gentleman, but Australians had many with similar experiences. All of them Slipping into history without being given any accolades.

My father was just an ordinary pilot who "survived" the war. It was only in his last years he told me about his experience of Black Friday when more than half of all the beaufighters were shot down. He laconically said he had an FW190 on his tail, and was only saved by an USAF mustang.

aroa
28th Feb 2016, 23:31
Roto
As a Spanish /German s/e stol post war,mid fifties, Id say Winkle was busy with flight testing heavy grunty stuff like Westland "Wyvern" and etc
Dornier may have given him an invite.

Im not sure but in one of his books, or elsewhere ??...there is a list of all the aircraft that he got his hand on.
Beyond amazing.

megan
29th Feb 2016, 00:12
wonder if he flew the Dornier DO 27Yes he did, also the 17, 18, 24, 26, 217 and 335.

4forward8back
29th Feb 2016, 01:21
Centaurus, that was inaccurate and unnecessary.

An incredibly great man who managed to fit 2-300 years into 97. His biography is a great start, follow that up with a trawl through Youtube for some of his talks. Fantastic stuff.

Here's a Wikipedia list of types flown:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_aircraft_flown_by_Eric_%22Winkle%22_Brown
(I've only got 445 to go to catch up!)

sheppey
29th Feb 2016, 01:39
Centaurus, that was inaccurate and unnecessary.

Have just read the Centaurus post which you claim is "inaccurate and unnecessary."

Looked perfectly OK to me. What is your problem with it?

4forward8back
29th Feb 2016, 01:54
Inaccurate: My guess is 99% of readers on Pprune Australian GA Forum would never had heard of former British Test Pilot, Eric `Winkle` Brown who died recently at the age of 97 in England.(Especially inaccurate as the thread Centaurus started has now been merged with a previous thread on the subject)

Unnecessary:
Could I recommend you put away the smart phone for a while and read of some of his exploits mentioned in the main forum Rumours and News.I am well aware who Centaurus is, I have his book in my library. I have an enormous amount of respect for the man and his achievements. The thread started by Centaurus could have been a nice tribute to a great man, but it read (to me) as an excuse to have a go at modern society.

megan
29th Feb 2016, 04:33
4forward8back, none of the young bucks and buckesses I know who occupy seat 0A had heard of the gentleman, so no need to sink the boot into Centaurus, and he's not having a kick at modern society.

Zombywoof
29th Feb 2016, 04:44
Buckesses?

Checklist Charlie
29th Feb 2016, 06:33
I actually think Centaurus was right.

Am I the only one who sees todays crop of "pilots" as spotty faced, gell spiked hair grunters that are permanently fixated on their myphones.

CC:E

Aussie Bob
29th Feb 2016, 07:19
Your not the only one CC, I see a huge watch and stripes on someone barely old enough to shave and I ponder ... Surely I was never like that?

Could I recommend you put away the smart phone for a while

Centaurus :ok::ok::ok:

pithblot
3rd Mar 2016, 22:46
Rest easy Aussie Bob, I somehow doubt it.

Not so very long ago we wouldn't be seen dead off the airport wearing epoulettes and wings. When we got to town or drove home after work the stripes & wings were always left in the glove box. But the "prayer wheel" stayed in the shirt pocket and was a give away I guess.

Some wag once said that a pilots experience is inversely proportional to the size of his wrist watch and taxy speed.