PDA

View Full Version : Winkle Brown

vctenderness
11th May 2015, 17:06
If you missed the story of the legend Winkle Brown on TV it is being repeated on BBC4 tomorrow, Tuesday May 12th. 22.00.

Title: Britains Greatest Pilot.

joy ride
11th May 2015, 17:38
Many thanks, I missed it first time.

G-ARZG
11th May 2015, 18:49
As did I....good catch, VC10, thanks !

joy ride
12th May 2015, 06:55
Had to miss it again last night. Oh well, one day!

Background Noise
12th May 2015, 08:09
You're getting ahead of yourself - it's on today.

joy ride
12th May 2015, 10:24
Oops! Cheers for that, there is a chance I might see it then.

joy ride
13th May 2015, 06:52
I missed the first 20 minutes but saw the rest and reckon it was very well produced, nothing extraneous, just hi talking about his experiences accompanied by films and photographs, perfect! I hoped they would talk about his Rubber Deck landing on HMS Warrior because a few years later my Dad was involved in its sale to Argentina.

Gannet Driver
28th Jun 2015, 16:45
The documentary is on Youtube,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szten4iypCM

....and well worth watching.

Mike

VictorGolf
30th Jun 2015, 12:04
I think I spotted "Winkle" Brown with the Queen last week during her visit to the Belsen concentration camp. I seem to remember from one of his superb talks that he acted as a liason officer in the early days of the liberation of Belsen due to his command of the German language. Incredible chap.

PAXboy
30th Jun 2015, 12:35
That is correct VictorGolf. He was briefly interviewed by the news team and captioned by his full name Eric Melrose Brown, without the nickname. His Scottish accent and diction was as clear as always. I am currently reading his memoir and it's breathtaking.

Gannet Driver
5th Jul 2015, 13:33
As well as "Wings on my sleeve" try to get your hands on his three "Wings of....." books.

Understand his latest "Too close for comfort" is due any day.

Mike

Kitbag
5th Jul 2015, 16:11
Might be worth a listen: Eric 'Winkle' Brown (http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b04nvgq1) Desert Island Discs

Genghis the Engineer
5th Jul 2015, 17:25
I think I spotted "Winkle" Brown with the Queen last week during her visit to the Belsen concentration camp. I seem to remember from one of his superb talks that he acted as a liason officer in the early days of the liberation of Belsen due to his command of the German language. Incredible chap.

Interrogator, briefly, of senior staff. They didn't impress him and I believe were executed not long afterwards.

I am told from somebody who saw EMB recently that he received a phone call that went something like this:-

"Captain Brown, Buckingham Palace here - Her Majesty has asked if you could be available to accompany her on a visit to Belsen."

"I'd be glad to, but unfortunately my passport has just expired and I don't think I can get it renewed in time."

"Not a problem sir, just leave that with us and we'll sort it out".

G

Tom Joad
14th Jul 2015, 11:35
"I'd be glad to, but unfortunately my passport has just expired and I don't think I can get it renewed in time."

"Not a problem sir, just leave that with us and we'll sort it out".

G

Brilliant, and as it should be.:D:D

Genghis the Engineer
21st Feb 2016, 16:54
I am distressed to learn that Captain Eric "Winkle" Brown, has just died, at the age of 97.

?World?s greatest? aviator Eric Winkle Brown dies at 97 - Edinburgh Evening News (http://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/news/world-s-greatest-aviator-eric-winkle-brown-dies-at-97-1-4035347)

Arguably the greatest pilot ever to live, and certainly one of the greatest men ever produced by Britain. Also, one of the nicest and most inspiring. I am, frankly, in tears.

G

Stanwell
21st Feb 2016, 17:17
You're not the only one who's had the bottom fall out of his day with that news, Genghis.
I raise a glass to you, Sir Eric!
If anybody deserved to be a Knight of the Realm, he did, but...

PDR1
21st Feb 2016, 17:19
Sadly, it has just been announced that Eric Brown has passed away. He was a good age, but that doesn't make the passing of this remarkable man any less sad.

Condolences to the family, and may he rest in peace. I doubt he will be forgotten.

PDR

PPRuNe Dispatcher
21st Feb 2016, 17:20
Deeply sad news indeed.

I was fortunate to meet Captain Brown and attend a talk he gave some years ago. A real hero to me, he did more for aviation and this country than anyone else I can think of.

Rest in peace, Sir.

PPD

Wander00
21st Feb 2016, 17:25
That sad is terribly sad, but I guess at 97 not wholly unexpected. A gentle man in every sense, and a huge privilege to have met him a couple of times. Bit of a reunion tonight in the Wardroom in the Sky

RIP

Any chance of amalgamating the threads please

Simtech
21st Feb 2016, 17:30
Eric 'Winkle' Brown: Celebrated British pilot dies, aged 97 - BBC News (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-sussex-35626854)

Vale Captain Brown.

Bergerie1
21st Feb 2016, 18:00
It is not sad. At 97, he has had an amazing life, he is great man and perhaps the the best pilot Britain has ever produced. Instead, we should celebrate the life of a truly inspirational man. For all of us our time will come, and he is the best!!

treadigraph
21st Feb 2016, 18:05
A remarkable life indeed... RIP sir.

TCU
21st Feb 2016, 18:07
A unique man who led a unique life and who will be sadly missed by all who were ever graced by his presence

His evening performance at WLAC just a few months ago was as sparkling as ever

I shall read a chapter of Wings On My Sleeve tonight

Shaggy Sheep Driver
21st Feb 2016, 19:16
What an amazing man! The phrase "they broke the mold after he was born" was never truer than in his case. Should by rights have been first to Mach 1 but such was the calibre of the man that there wasn't a trace of bitterness over that sad affair.

He should of course have been decorated, but I don't suppose it bothered him for one moment that he wasn't.

I don't think we'll ever see his like again. I raise a glass....

Allan Lupton
21st Feb 2016, 22:22
He was due to give the de Havilland Memorial Lecture at Hatfield in April this year and of course we knew we'd have as good an evening as we had had on his previous visits.
When asked what a DH Mosquito was like to fly, he said "It was a pilot's aeroplane - in fact I never flew a de Havilland product that was not a pilot's aeroplane" which comment is only a lasting memory now.

Whether that really included the DH 108 in not clear. He told us that his lack of height enabled him to survive his investigation of the DH 108 after Geoffrey de Havilland's fatal accident, as it was concluded that during the rapid pitching oscillation that occurred Geoffrey (who was not short) had his neck broken when his head was hit by the cockpit canopy. Not having been killed thus, EMB was able to regain control and report the details.

megan
22nd Feb 2016, 01:15
such was the calibre of the man that there wasn't a trace of bitterness over that sad affair.From his writings he does seem to be the initiator of the myth that the X-1 had to be modified to use the M.52 "flying tail" in order to break the barrier. Always wondered why.

Nevertheless, a man who had a deep and abiding pride and love of his country, and served his nation impeccably, and with immense distinction in his chosen field.

God speed Captain.

l.garey
22nd Feb 2016, 04:38
Sorry to hear that. His book, like his life, was inspiring.

Laurence

Chris Scott
23rd Feb 2016, 13:51
Quote from Allan Lupton:
"When asked what a DH Mosquito was like to fly, he said "It was a pilot's aeroplane - in fact I never flew a de Havilland product that was not a pilot's aeroplane" which comment is only a lasting memory now.
Whether that really included the DH 108 in not clear."

According to the Telegraph obituary writer, he described the Swallow as "a killer."

Captain Eric 'Winkle' Brown - obituary - Telegraph (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/obituaries/12167611/Captain-Eric-Winkle-Brown-obituary.html)