PDA

View Full Version : Gordon Bennett

DX Wombat
24th Jun 2002, 12:20
Whilst doing a bit of research I came across Claude Grahame-White's name and the interesting piece of information that in 1911 he had won the Gordon Bennett Cup. Unfortunately I have not been able to find any more details about this trophy. Please can anyone supply me with the information?

newswatcher
24th Jun 2002, 12:33
Fill your boots here:

http://www.coupegordonbennett.org/

DX Wombat
24th Jun 2002, 15:53
Thanks very much Newswatcher, that is exactly what I wanted. :D :D :D

overfly
3rd Jul 2002, 00:15
DXW - Claude G-W is not listed; could it be he also drove as well as flew, and raced for the OTHER Gordon Bennett cup, on 4 wheels
http://www.peevish.co.uk/slang/articles/gordon-bennett.htm:D

wet wet wet
3rd Jul 2002, 12:11
It seems that Gordon Bennett was a busy guy. I believe that the GB event that Claude Graham-White won was a speed contest that took place at Long Island in 1910. There are a number of references on the Web to this, for example http://www.aviation-history.com/world/1910.html

DOC.400
3rd Jul 2002, 21:46
Gordon Bennett. As a Londoner and frequent user of the expletive back in the '70's, I thought I had better find out about the chap!

Apart from funding the Gordon Bennett Trophy Race in France, he was also the founder of the New York Herald and sent Stanley to find Livingstone in Africa.

Not a lot of people know that........

DOC

Blacksheep
5th Jul 2002, 06:24
I thought the one referred to in the expletive expression "Gawd an' Bennett" was the infamous Lt Gen Gordon Bennett who gave his name to the Australian Army's PE Kit?

- as in "Get yer Gordon Bennetts on!"

Through difficulties to the cinema

Iron City
5th Jul 2002, 14:06
It's obvious the problem is there have been too many Gordon Bennetts. All Bennetts should be prohibited from naming offspring "Gordon".

overfly
5th Jul 2002, 23:26
IC, humour aside for a moment, you may have missed the point that Gordon Bennett was a double barrelled surname, sometimes hyphenated, and both the son who led to the expression and also his father were both christened James, as the link I quoted explains. :D

Pom Pax
6th Jul 2002, 13:17
I believe there were several different Gordon Bennett Cups, there was certainly a car race. This was a team event for nations. The U.K. won once ( S.F.Edge) and as host the next year held the event in the Isle of Man. This race (in the I o M) was followed in later years as the R.A.C. Tourist Trophy.
I do not believe the Australian General who won the race home from Singapore in 1942 was even closly related to the American tycoon.
Grahame-White was noted for flying at night in a race from London to Manchester. The railway company having white washed the mainline's sleepers to aid navigation!

Iron City
8th Jul 2002, 15:54
Overfly. Just so. I thought hyphenated names were supposed to be hyphenated, but appears that is not always the case.

If you check out the 1928 coupegordonbennett results the co-pilot was a Lt. W.O. Eareckson U.S. Army. Could this be the Col Eareckson that formed and led the Alaska Air Force during WW II?