PDA

View Full Version : Location function on mobiles

Rwy in Sight
21st Feb 2016, 06:53
I am still novice on smart phones so I have a question for the wise people of the forum is: do you use the various apps to protect your mobile from being useful to a thief (by accepting the mobile to declare its position) or do you consider as too much of privacy invasion and you are ignoring/removing those apps (one from the provider and one from the manufacturer)?

lomapaseo
21st Feb 2016, 12:04
Privacy ??

I have giggle on my phone, there is no expectation of Privacy, too many things to turn off that make the phone work as advertised, in fact my whole life is an open book, my only hope is that I'm too minute and boring for anybody else to care

G0ULI
21st Feb 2016, 23:55
If you have an insurance policy covering the loss of your phone, it is probably a condition of cover that the location/find functions are enabled. This allows a chance of your phone being recovered, or at least being rendered unuseable to the thief.

These sorts of privacy issues only become a problem if you are doing something that you perhaps shouldn't, like playing away from home. :hmm:

ExXB
22nd Feb 2016, 15:19
iOS or Android? Apple does not track you, but allows your phone to be located should you request it. Other apps, may track you. What they do with the data is in their T&Cs. I usually only allow location services while I'm using the app.

Ancient Observer
22nd Feb 2016, 16:52
Different needs, different answers.

My elder daughter is an Apple-we-won't pay-tax addict. Everything is on all the time.

My Android samsung has everything off all the time. It is a novel sort of phone usage. I use it for phone calls.

Rwy in Sight
22nd Feb 2016, 19:12
It is a Motorola thus Android. I like lomapaseo's view but my sister pointed out that the internet function (or data usage) is activated for the system to work which I usually keep shut.

Ancient: I do believe there is a 40% Apple tax on their products so I steer clear of them.