PDA

View Full Version : FAA Class 1 Medical - Fitness requirements?

EIDUB
24th Jun 2002, 12:15
Hello,

I was wondering when you go for a class one medical are you tested on your overall fitness level.

I would rate myself as reasonably fit but I was wondering if I should get "super" fit so I have nothing to worry about going for the medical.

If anyone has done it recently could they outline what is involved in the FAA Class One medical.

Thanks,

EIDUB

rmmonteiro
24th Jun 2002, 13:12
Hi , EIDUB
are u going to fly in the USA? if u want the european requirements, try jaa.nl. thats for europe.
i think FAA site is FAA.org if i´m not wrong.

cheers

RMM

Pitts S2B
24th Jun 2002, 15:27
There are no fitness requirements per se, just need to meet the standards as they appear in the FAR's. The FAA are very flexible if you do have something wrong with you, basically if you are able to show that you do not pose a risk to flight safety then they will let you fly, they also have much more aeromedical experience than the JAA.

If you have a 'static defect' that will not get any worse, for instance missing an arm, eye or foot etc then what they will do is put you through the special issuance process, this would involve for instance in the case of someone who is missing a foot, sitting in a plane with an FAA examiner and demonstrating that you have no difficulty operating the rudder pedals with your artificial leg. Once you pass this test they give you a waiver and you never have to do it again.

The best thing to do is to find an AME and call him with any questions before you see him.

slim_slag
25th Jun 2002, 01:50
Medical FAR (http://www.cami.jccbi.gov/AAM-300/part67.html)