PDA

View Full Version : USA to Restart Flights to Cuba

ORAC
20th Feb 2016, 09:11
AW&ST: Cuba Libre

The U.S. and Cuba have formally agreed to restart commercial air services for the first time in 50 years.

The agreement, for up to 110 commercial flights per day between the two countries, is touching off a scramble for the ability to run those routes. Nearly all of the major airlines are applying to the Transportation Department; the deadline is March 2.

U.S. carriers will be vying for 20 roundtrip flights to Havana and 10 flights a day to Cuba’s nine other international airports.

But before anyone lights up a cigar, keep in mind these flights are for business, educational and humanitarian purposes only—not for tourists.

Gertrude the Wombat
20th Feb 2016, 09:24
110 flights per day?

OK, so half the pax will be Cubans returning home from a trip to the USA, and a fair number of the others will be going to stay with friends and relatives.

But doesn't that still leave a huge number of new visitors to Cuba needing somewhere to sleep, for whom there isn't going to be the hotel infrastructure currently standing empty?

ExXB
20th Feb 2016, 09:26
The 110 are just the US's share. Same again for Cuba. And before anyone says there is no way a Cuban registered aircraft is going to touch down in the US, you should note that all CU flights to Canada are operated with leased aircraft.

In fact if I was with a US airline I'd try and make a deal with CU to lease them the capacity they want, and then codeshare on those flights, which is permitted under the agreement.

None of the US airlines are going to get what they want, not enough to go around - they could get what they want this way.

The US has never prosecuted a US citizen for visiting Cuba for 'other' reasons.

lomapaseo
20th Feb 2016, 12:17
But doesn't that still leave a huge number of new visitors to Cuba needing somewhere to sleep, for whom there isn't going to be the hotel infrastructure currently standing empty?

Where's Meyer Lansky when they need him? Give him a piece of the action and things will get done

llondel
20th Feb 2016, 18:16
Has the US revoked the "if you can get here you can have citizenship" law for Cubans yet? I can see a lot of one-way tickets otherwise.

ExXB
20th Feb 2016, 18:27
Often a round trip ticket is cheaper than a one-way. However I suspect visas will be required.

edi_local
20th Feb 2016, 19:19
Often a round trip ticket is cheaper than a one-way. However I suspect visas will be required.

I was in Havana about 2 weeks ago. There was a hell of a queue at the consular section entrance to the US Embassy and it wasn't American accents I heard either.

How likely is it that the rules regarding direct USA-Cuba flights will remain in place for very long? They have had direct flight to Cuba for some time, often operated by chartered aircraft from the main carriers (indeed last time I was in MIA in 2014, 4 flights to Havana were leaving not long after my flight to London). This ruling just means there will be more of them. I doubt the airlines or travel agents will be turning away the thousands of people who will no doubt wish to buy tickets for tourism purposes. It's obvious that this decision is merely a way for the US government to eventually just relax all travel restrictions, otherwise it's pretty pointless offering so much capacity, yet still saying they are only open to a select few.

And before anyone says there is no way a Cuban registered aircraft is going to touch down in the US, you should note that all CU flights to Canada are operated with leased aircraft.

Photos: Antonov An-158 Aircraft Pictures | Airliners.net (http://www.airliners.net/photo/Cubana/Antonov-An-158/2726459/&sid=dad5291d5e2f069ef255d84b2d28fce2)

It's already happened, here's 2 in New York recently, albeit for a UN gathering.

llondel
22nd Feb 2016, 18:03
I would guess Obama is trying to get the juggernaut moving before the end of the year - if all the airlines and a lot of citizens are in support of easing all the restrictions then it's going to be harder for a future president/congress to put them back.

Airbubba
22nd Feb 2016, 18:28
Has the US revoked the "if you can get here you can have citizenship" law for Cubans yet? I can see a lot of one-way tickets otherwise.

Cubans still get preference over other illegal immigrants and automatically get asylum at the present time but they are rushing to get in before the doors might shut:

Enticed by taxpayer-provided welfare and the hope of a better life, Cubans are entering the U.S. at a record pace, fearing America's open door policy with the Communist nation may come to end with a new administration next year.

Unlike other Hispanics arriving from Mexico or Central America, Cubans arriving at the U.S. border receive preferential status. Mexicans caught by the Border Patrol are immediately deported. Central Americans, Haitians and others get a court hearing, and typically are sent home in a matter of weeks. But Cubans escaping poverty in their country are treated as political refugees, and under the 1966 Cuban Adjustment Act they automatically receive asylum protection — even if they are not leaving for political reasons.

Cubans entering U.S. at record pace, fearing doors may close | Fox News Latino (http://latino.foxnews.com/latino/politics/2016/02/03/cubans-entering-us-at-record-pace-fearing-open-door-policy-may-come-to-end/)

WhatsaLizad?
22nd Feb 2016, 18:59
ATC capacity limits are another factor.

The last couple of months southbound over Cuba from MIA has faced long takeoff delays. One of the rumors is Havana ATC is doing more training to ramp up capacity.

Another rumor was they sent 30+ controllers to train with their MIA ATC counterparts in Miami. 1/3 of them then defected.

Hard to believe if true. I've read on PPrune that it is a joyous place to visit, unfettered by greedy capitalism. ;)

22nd Feb 2016, 23:18
I've read on PPRuNe that it is a joyous place to visit, unfettered by greedy capitalism.
Indeed it was. (Though the less greedy style was always much in evidence!) Sadly that's now all coming to an end. Within 10 years it will be just like the rest of the Carribean.

ORAC
11th Jun 2016, 05:00
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/jun/10/cuba-flights-us-airlines-approved

Six airlines have won permission to resume scheduled commercial air service from the US to Cuba for the first time in more than five decades, another milestone in Barack Obama’s campaign to normalize relations between cold war foes. The airlines – American, Frontier, JetBlue, Silver Airways, Southwest and Sun Country – were approved by the Department of Transportation for a total of 155 roundtrip flights per week. They will fly from five US cities to nine cities in Cuba other than Havana.........

As it considers opening routes to Havana, the department’s selection process has been complicated because airlines have requested far more routes than are available under the US agreement with Cuba. A decision on Havana routes is expected later this summer.

The routes approved Friday were not contested because there was less interest among US airlines in flying to Cuban locations other than Havana. The routes include service from Miami, Chicago, Philadelphia, Minneapolis and Fort Lauderdale, Florida. The Cuban destinations are Camaguey, Cayo Coco, Cayo Largo, Cienfuegos, Holguin, Manzanillo, Matanzas, Santa Clara and Santiago de Cuba........

West Coast
11th Jun 2016, 16:40
Another rumor was they sent 30+ controllers to train with their MIA ATC counterparts in Miami. 1/3 of them then defected.

Have a hard time believing that one. 30 controllers at one facility at one time, not counting the Center's own training needs...not so sure that would work.

It would have made the ATC rumour networks, of which I follow, no mention of it.

atr-drivr
11th Jun 2016, 20:25
Was there yesterday from TPA...Havana has a LONG way to go to be ready for any more than 1 or 2 flights at a time...at least at terminal 2. One belt loader and we saw only one fuel truck between the 2 JB, 1 AA and 1 other....long way to go..

Machdiamond
12th Jun 2016, 23:43
In my numerous visits to Cuba as one of the hundreds of thousands of Canadians who go there each winter (1.2 million annually - I think we should annex the place) I have never flown into Havana. It was always Varadero, Cayo Coco, Holgin, etc.
The only time I visited Havana, I flew in from Varadero.
So I am not surprised to read that US airlines are flying in to Cuba to other airports than Havana and comments about Havana airport are probably not representative of what actually is going on elsewhere.

barit1
13th Jun 2016, 14:14
Given the relatively short routes to some US destinations, I'd expect some tankering going on to maintain adequate inventory in Cuba.

PAXboy
13th Jun 2016, 16:53
ExXB None of the US airlines are going to get what they want, not enough to go around - they could get what they want this way.Sounds like the usual, "Shout for all you can, grab what you can and sort out the mess later." For US carriers there are very, very few new routes and this will be a one-off chance.