PDA

View Full Version : Tasmanian Aero Club, still operating?

Duck Pilot
20th Feb 2016, 04:55
I know this question has been asked before on this forum, without much success of getting an answer?

I heard one of their key members sadly passed away last year, and their website appears to have been shut down.

Can anyone in the know down in Tassie answer my question?

I am an ex-member, hence my interest.

Aussie Bob
20th Feb 2016, 05:21
Yep, still operating, but only as a RAA pilot school at the minute. Membership is good and they just sent a 15 year old on his first solo just 3 weeks after his birthday.

According to their latest newsletter they are hoping for GA training to resume via a different AOC. Sadly I think their AOC is kaput and unlikely to be resurrected. Their charter work is passed on to another operator.

Dick Smith
20th Feb 2016, 20:00
I understand that RFAC member clubs have dropped from about 100 to less than 50.

And when the unique Australian/CASA/AsA ADSB requirement comes in next year for every IFR aircraft I would imagine numbers will drop even further .

What with the Military at the top of AsA and CASA I despair of any improvements in the situation in the near future.

gerry111
21st Feb 2016, 10:50
Dick,

All the more reason for you stand as an independent in the House of Reps to sort these GA issues out for us. I notice that Bronnie has renominated for Mackellar for the next federal election. If she becomes the Liberal candidate, will you be contesting?

(After all you did announce to the Australian public a while back, that you would. And you had independent polling that showed that you could win.)

The current charismatic independent member for Fairfax is likely to be dumped then. Perhaps you may take his place on the cross benches?

Go for it, mate!