PDA

View Full Version : Class 2 Med by GP?

Okavango
19th Feb 2016, 11:01
Having reached the big 40 a while back and coincidentally when I need to get my Class 2 renewed before my 42nd birthday I've been invited for a general MOT with my GP. Sounds very similar to the Class 2 - is there any way I can kill 2 birds with one stone or does the Class 2 have to be via a AME?

parkfell
19th Feb 2016, 11:11
AME who are often GPs, are authorised by the CAA/EASA to conduct & issue the class 2 medical certificates.
They need to do the course first and then be authorised.

cavortingcheetah
20th Feb 2016, 21:22
Surely you can do the Class 11 with your AME and get him to give you a photocopy of the CAA medical report which you can take to your GP's surgery for inclusion in your records?

LlamaFarmer
20th Feb 2016, 22:47
As mentioned, Class 2 has to be performed by an AME.

An AME can be any kind of doctor though, and often tend to be GPs or occupational physicians.

They could forward on anything to your GP.

Alternatively you could find an AME who is also a GP and who would have access to update your medical notes... although they might regard that as "professional stepping-on-toes" so may be unwilling. I'm sure they'd be happy to send a copy of Class II findings though.

Radgirl
21st Feb 2016, 17:04
I very much doubt this MOT introduced by politicians will involve anything the class 2 wont include except perhaps a pep talk from the GP about not drinking, smoking and other vices. Go have the class 2. If you are really pedantic send the form to your GP afterwards and simply ask him what he would do that wasnt done!!

Screening makes a lot of money in private medicine but quite honestly a urine check, blood pressure check, looking in the back of the eyes and breast examination for lady pilots is all that really scores. An ECG may ground you but rarely detects something you can treat that isnt already obvious. Eyesight acuity checks wont make your eyes better.

PSA (a blood test for prostates) HbA1C (a screening test for very slight diabetes) and a virtual colonography (the gold standard to detect early bowel cancer) are worthwhile but your GP may not offer the first 2 and certainly wont offer the latter.

gingernut
23rd Feb 2016, 19:13
On no account let anyone stick a needle in you.

The next thing you know, you'll be taking four tablets a day, bullied by a fat practice nurse at least one every year, and you'll have to take a shed load of medication that, at the very least, will make you impotent.

(Sic)