PDA

View Full Version : Medical Examination Three Questions

Drussjnr
16th Feb 2016, 15:55
Hi guys,
so im going for a class 2 medical, With the intention of in about 5-6 years time needing a Class 1. But right now i dont want a class 1 because of the cost and how long it lasts. I have three questions:

1) Sleep Apnoea - About twice a year i will wake up short of breath and apparently i snore most nights but thats about it. Is this something i need to bring up to the AME? In no way is is OSA.

2) Hay fever - It's a family thing and everyone in my family suffers, Im the only one who hasn't been tested for which individual type of hay fever. I will rarely take anti histamine buts its non-drowsey and just store brand (10mg Loratadine). everyone else has Chlorpheniramine Maleate. Really doesn't matter if i dont take it as im least affected by hay fever and only lasts a few months, I could easily work without any drugs to combat the effects.

3) Electrocardiogram (ECG) - Obviously I have the intention in a few years to become a professional pilot for which i need a class 1 medical, should i pay for an ECG in my initial Class 2 (not in my initial because of my age) to detect a benign heart murmur or something similar.

Thanks for your help
Druss,

+TSRA
17th Feb 2016, 02:20
First, are you thinking of making aviation your career?

If you are, do the Class 1 now. That way you'll know now that you can hold it before you spend a lot of money to find out you can't. Most countries allow your Class 1 to downgrade to a Class 2 or 3 after it expires, so you'll not have to do two medicals. But, double check your local regulations.

Here are the answers:

1) Yes. Some will say no, but god forbid anything ever happens and your survive. Better that they know and can clear you appropriately. If it happens that infrequently, chances are they won't care.

2) Are you asking if you should be tested? You can mention it and the doctor may tell you to get tested. It shouldn't hold up your medical (again, check your local regulations) and chances are the doctor will tell you what you already know: take the non-drowsy stuff.

3) Do it now for the reason I mentioned before. Almost every pilot knows a girl or guy from their flight school who spent all the money on their PPL, their hour building, their multi engine endorsement and the first couple lessons of their CPL and Instrument Rating only to find out they had a heart issue that did not qualify them for Class 1. In my class it was a 19 year old guy. Close to $50,000 up in smoke...that he was still paying back almost 10 years later.

parkfell
17th Feb 2016, 07:29
Agree with +TSRA

Obtain your UK class one medical. Although it will downgrade to a class 2 after a year, you can renew your class one within 5 years without having to go through the initial class one process. Your local AME can do the examination.

Check the timing of renewals with the AME.

Drussjnr
17th Feb 2016, 10:25
It was my flight instructor that told me to do the class 2 medical only because he said i probably won't go to proper flight school for another 4-5 years or so (because of age and how many times i will be refused). So right now i have a job in industry and am doing a PPL on the side just to show the passion for aviation. I started gliding with Cadets at 13-14 (I was very lucky that a local glider club spared their cash and time for us) and was hooked on flying ever since. I just need to show myself apart from everyone else. But Thanks very much for your advice and will definitely get an ECG, but i will talk to head FI and get his opinion on top.

Thanks again everyone been a real help.

Radgirl
17th Feb 2016, 19:29
Hi

Do NOT get an ECG. We have had numerous postings here about false positives on ECGs - ie a normal ECG but either the machine says heart attack or the leads are in the wrong place. It takes time and money to correct.

In fact there is some logic in all young people having a check ECG and many schools in the UK offer it at about 14 to rule out specific problems but it is very very rare to show a problem

You really would be best advised to leave everything until you do your Class 1 initial which will I hope be read by a human!!!

You will I am afraid need to declare your possible OSA, and you may need to be properly tested with a sleep study - the FAA are getting very hot on this, and I expect the UK will catch up. Ensuring you are not overweight is all you can do in the meantime.

Good luck

Fostex
18th Feb 2016, 07:55
Completely agree with Radgirl, do not get an ECG unless required. The automated machine test may show something that then has to be run past a cardiology consultant to get the all clear.

In my free time I cycle competitively to a pretty high level and so have an athletic heart. On my Class 1 renewals the ECG machine has in the past reported ST-elevation and left ventricular hypertrophy. When this has occured my ECG has been reviewed by a cardiology consultant but has always been given the all clear, however it is still a pain in the arse as there is a delay before the consultant can review it.

The same is true of medical imaging, unless you need a scan, don't get one. Whatever is found will go on your medical records and once there, can never be removed. Several of my friends are radiologists and recount many tales of VOMITs ( Victims of Medical Imaging Technology ). Many times a scan shows some sort of abnormal pathology which is completely asymptomatic and benign, however since it has been found, there is a legal obligation to declare it.

Drussjnr
18th Feb 2016, 10:37
Ok so my Head CFI said really what you guys said and wait for the class 1 with the ECG and the OSA stuff is a mystery to me as i run regularly (4 times a week) and im right now trying to get a place in london marathon 2017 With my running club. I contacted my parents about medical history and they said i had a sleep study when i was 10-11 and it came to nothing but i will let the AME decide.

Thanks for your Help,
Druss

Reverserbucket
18th Feb 2016, 10:41
"It was my flight instructor that told me to do the class 2 medical only because he said i probably won't go to proper flight school for another 4-5 years or so (because of age and how many times i will be refused)"

I'd find yourself another instructor for a start...

If you want to fly professionally, irrespective of how far in the future, get a Class 1 with the CAA (all initials in the UK are currently conducted by them) and have that ECG. If you let it downgrade to a Class 2 after 12 months, no problem, but at least you will have the reassurance that you can achieve the standard prior to making any future plans. The best advice I ever received in aviation - hope for nothing and plan everything.

Good Luck!

kui2324
18th Feb 2016, 12:46
The CAA are closing their AeMC in a few weeks so you will no longer be able to get initial Class 1 medicals performed there. See https://www.caa.co.uk/Commercial-industry/Pilot-licences/Applications/Medical/The-UK-CAA-Aeromedical-Centre/

There are a few other AeMCs set up around the country where you can get this carried out.

I am in the 'recommend' you get a Class 1 medical to start with so that you do no waste a huge amount of money on training camp. Especially with things like the ECG and colour vision they are the most likely to cause issue. Having had various friends have things found it makes sense to future proof as much as you can.

kui

Reverserbucket
25th Feb 2016, 14:14
"...and the OSA stuff is a mystery to me as i run regularly (4 times a week) and im right now trying to get a place in london marathon 2017 With my running club"

Interesting you should mention running as I understand that cardiomyopathy is a significant issue amongst apparently fit athletes who suddenly drop down dead with little warning and often during exercise. A relative of mine in the RAF went this way whilst out jogging and a sports master at a local school also died in a similar manner. I run regularly, take care of myself with respect to diet and have held a Class 1 for the past 25 years however have recently been referred for further tests due to a possible familial connection, so have some understanding of the process.

I am still surprised that your school has advised you, even informally, to delay going for a Class 1 but ultimately that is your prerogative. If you have really been told that "because of age and how many times i will be refused" it sounds as if obstacles are being presented before you've even started which I think is rather negative. Good for you in commencing with a PPL but remember that they have a vested interest in you not going to "a proper flight school".

gingernut
25th Feb 2016, 21:01
who diagnosed what ?