PDA

View Full Version : Thinking to be a pilot, looking for information ( from india)

Djg
16th Feb 2016, 15:00
Hi there,

I wanted to be a pilot from childhood but skipped the idea as few recommended not to do as job weren't available.

I'd like to know whats the scene nowadays ?

Where to take training from - usa - uae ?

If I take the training from usa then I can get job in usa or I can work in uae ?

whats the amount require for training ?

I'm not good at maths, is that will be a hurdle for me ? ohh & I also forgot what I learn in school in physics so is that will be a issue ?

Please suggest few flying schools !

Any help would be appreciate.

Djg
25th Feb 2016, 14:03
Hello members,

waiting for your help.

parkfell
25th Feb 2016, 14:30
I see that you were asking similar questions back in 2008.

Maths and physics are critical to passing a number of the exams. You need to undertake aptitude testing to see whether aviation is for you.

If the outcome is favourable, the next matter is obtaining a class one medical.

Get these matters resolved, and then start about thinking about courses.

Djg
25th Feb 2016, 15:02
You're right mate :)

8 years later still I want to be a pilot, But I'm not getting good guide.
I almost forgotten maths apart from ( Addition-substraction-multiply-divide) & in phyisc i barely remember, So i'm worried if I want to do all these things again.
If I go for integerated course then they can teach me everything ?

Jakub Velicka
25th Feb 2016, 15:29
They do not teach you the basics, you need to study yourself. It all depends on what you mean "I'm not a good in...", it's relative. Well, it's not nucleonics, but you can struggle, it can take longer to get axams done or even fail to pass the exams if you forgot basics of math and physics.

Try to register in any of free sample ATPL question banks and go through it. Especially through subjects like General Navigation, Mass&Balance, Aircraft Performance and maybe Meteorology for physics... That's the level of math and physics needed. You will soon find out, whether it's for you or not.

Martin_123
25th Feb 2016, 15:38
Most people here wouldn't have the experience in the region you're coming from therefore it is difficult to help or guide you. Perhaps it would be worth wile to approach your questions from a different angle - I think you need to figure out which are those countries where you would be able to get a work permit/visa and then work your way through that - figure out what potential airlines can you approach - and from there on - what licences do they require (FAA/EASA or local?), what type of cadets are they looking for and so on?

That will answer good bit of your questions... there's no point for you to go to USA, if no one in, for example, India will look at FAA licences... Likewise what's the point in going for whatever it is they issue in UAE if it's not accepted in the States where you might be eligible to work if you're a citizen/dual citizen there? We don't know your circumstances

any reputable integrated school have admission tests where your math/physics skills might be tested. If you are completely clueless, you might not be accepted in one. Bristol Groundschool have a math/physics prep module, see if you can buy that and go through the exercises, it should help you to asses yourself and refresh your knowledge.. it's really not that hard

Martin_123
25th Feb 2016, 15:44
I'm sure you do realize, that just because you get training in one country doesn't necessarily mean you are eligible to work there afterwards? Check the immigration rules for countries you are interested in, just because you're a pilot, doesn't mean that you can get a job in any country you like. Work permits/citezenships still matter big time

parkfell
25th Feb 2016, 19:08
An integrated course is not designed to teach you what you should have learnt at school. I would say using UK standards a minimum of 5 GCSE(O) & 2 As.
They expect you to have an acceptable level of education before day one of the course.
You need to undertake aptitude testing to ensure that you have the basics. Go back to night school for 6 months and show the necessary commitment.

Otherwise it is a waste of their time, and more importantly a waste of your money. These courses are expensive and the penalty clauses in the contract for failing to pass the many progress tests are not in your favour. Quite an imbalance taking into account their overall loss of profit.

What is your present occupation ?

Djg
26th Feb 2016, 14:33
Jakub Velicka (http://www.pprune.org/members/445916-jakub-velicka)

Thanks mate, I'll go through sample questions to get an idea.

Martin_123

I understand mate, I'm in india so thinking to do training from usa & convert the licence in india, as training is usa is better.

parkfell

Yes i have studied that level 8-10 years ago, so I might be able to recall.
I'm doing business - my age is 28 years old.

Please suggest few schools -

Djg
3rd Mar 2016, 13:40
Which is better country to take training from ? south africa or us ?

In us - phoenix east aviation is good ?

AA350XWB
26th Mar 2016, 19:34
I hope I'm not late to reply but I suggest you take training in India itself.

The thing about our DGCA is that our syllabus is based on Europe's standards and America's FAA has it's own standard. In addition to this their RT license isn't recognized here.

You can go through the conversion hassle(which needs money) or go to Europe for training.

grandfather
29th Mar 2016, 04:46
I wanted to be a pilot from childhood but skipped the idea as few recommended not to do as job weren't available.

I'd like to know whats the scene nowadays ?

Where to take training from - usa - uae ?

If I take the training from usa then I can get job in usa or I can work in uae ?

whats the amount require for training ?

I'm not good at maths, is that will be a hurdle for me ? ohh & I also forgot what I learn in school in physics so is that will be a issue ?

Please suggest few flying schools !

Hi DJG....I'm not a pilot but the parent of one. If its of any use to you, here are my suggestions:
1. The scene nowadays: As compared to 2011-2014, the scene now is a lot better job-wise. The catch here is that the 'scene nowadays' is no indicator of what it will be like by the time you earn your INDIAN CPL (whether learning to fly in India or learning abroad and converting)
2. Where to take training from: My kid did it in India, so I'm not really qualified to comment on foreign schools.
3. Jobs in a foreign country: Training in a foreign country DOES NOT entitle you to work anywhere except in your home country. I may be wrong, but to the best of my knowledge, practically every country in the world has rules where the FO has to be a citizen. The Commander can be a foreigner but not the FO.
4. Costs: In India, 35-40 lakhs for the CPL, another 20-30 lakhs for type rating in the specific type of aircraft you will eventually fly
5. Maths/physics: YES YES YES, you need to be GOOD in maths and physics.
6. Good flying schools: In India, IGRUA, NFTI-Gondia.

PS: I know 'advice' is irritating, particularly from parents, so please ignore if you want. Its just this, as a parent, together with my kid, I have felt the pain of the utter frustration he has gone through as year after year the clock has ticked on his CPL and ATPL, not to mention his hard work and dreams, while we have watched our hard earned money dripping down the drain. I'm not saying the same will happen to you but just be prepared for it.

Djg
30th Mar 2016, 13:57
AA350XWB (http://www.pprune.org/members/446285-aa350xwb)

Training is india takes longer time as compare to abroad, I know its too much hurdle to get the licence convert, Training is Europe is very expensive, I have been quote 87lakhs by CTC, which is way too much.
still finding flying school, where to take pursue training from, dean international is any good ?
Thanks buddy !

grandfather
(http://www.pprune.org/members/442359-grandfather)
Your inputs are much appreciate :)
You're very right about, now its good time, don't know what it will be like after 2 years, any thing can happen.

Nfti gondia reviews aren't good online, its takes so much time, others I'm waiting to hear.

Congrats to hear that your kids are in this business :D

cyrilroy21
5th Apr 2016, 17:08
@Djg

Aviation is a very complex industry and the career of a pilot much more. It nowhere close or straightforward like other careers of engineering or medicine or chartered accountants.

Your passport also severely limits the countries where you can apply for job as well since every country wishes to protect jobs for their own citizens
The few countries that do hire foreign citizens usually require thousands of hours of experience.

There are some very rare cases of inexperienced pilots finding jobs in foreign countries. But these are very hard to come by and are usually quite expensive ( like having to attend university course as well or paying huge money for a type rating )

Licensing is also another problem. Since pilots only hold LICENSES they are required to convert or obtain temporary authorisation in every country they wish to fly.

The UAE GCAA for example made it compulsory that all candidates with experience less than 1500 hours needs to pass 14 exams in order to convert their licenses

As far as I can see in your case... unless you hold some sort of WASTA with a middle eastern operator your chances of finding a job with a middle eastern carrier with an Indian Passport is close to NIL .
Same way none of the employers in the U.S will even look at you unless you have a green card

I suggest you focus on obtaining an Indian DGCA license and building experience first before going to the UAE or elsewhere.

Now whether you learn to fly in India or abroad thats upto you. The Indian DGCA is an absolute pain when it comes to converting license so don't expect an easy road n the conversion process.

-I would recommend you first obtain a DGCA class 2 medical followed by a class 1 medical.
-Pass the DGCA papers of Air Navigation , Regulation and Meteorology. Pass some tech specific papers for aircraft you plan on flying.
-Obtain an Indian RTR A license .
-Obtain a Student Pilot license and a restricted FRTOL from a flight school in India

Make sure that the name in all the documents above is the exact same as that given in your 10th certificate

Once you are done with all this you can decide whether to go abroad or fly in India

While its true some flight schools in India can take a long time to finish most these days can finish in less than a year as long you pass your exams on time.

Going abroad while you might get the foreign license quickly you can spend more than a year or two trying to get it converted. Don't forget you have to give skill tests at a flying school in India as well which can cost a couple of lakhs

As far as NFTI is concerned I recommend you visit the place and get an opinion from the students there. Don't believe everything you read online.
Consider IGRUA as well as Air India gives some preference to their graduates

And lastly please don't forget that airlines in India charge a lot of money for the type rating . It varies from 20 lakhs to 35 lakhs. Remember this cost is over and above the money you pay for CPL .
Please make sure you have some means to pay for this after you are done with the CPL .

Please make sure you understand what you are getting into. The training part is actually the easiest and where you will have most fun. But obtaining a DGCA license or that first job can be quite difficult. There many pitfalls in aviation and many more in Indian aviation. I have seen too many people get burnt... Good Luck :ok:

Djg
13th Apr 2016, 17:52
First & foremost thanks for the info - much appreciate !
Acc to you , I should study all those subjects first then go abroad ? I thought all will learn when I'll start training.
What Is RTR A licence ?

I bought a book for reference called - From the ground up, is it good ?

billboard
22nd Apr 2016, 16:58
I'll try answering your questions to the best of my ability.

1)How is the job scene nowadays?
Significantly better than before but statistically speaking, a majority of CPL holders are still unemployed. But don't let that hold you back. If you are willing to work hard, go for it.

2) Where to take training from?
Since you started your research into pilot training around the year 2008, it is understandable that you carry the opinion that it is quicker to get an Indian CPL if you train abroad. This used to be the case earlier but a lot has changed in the past few years. The pace and quality of training in India have both risen remarkably. Additionally, bear in mind that this is an industry where being at the right place at the right time matters a lot. Knowing the local industry can help you with this. Wherever you do your CPL, you will get to know about the local industry from your instructors and peers. Why would you want to know about how to get into the regionals in US or bush flying in Africa when your best chance of employment is in India?

3) Jobs in USA or UAE?
I would say, do not depend on it. A lot of people did and later ended up in despair after they were unable to secure employment or get a work visa in the US. Chances in UAE are even more remote with your experience.

4) Amount required for training?
Anywhere from 6-7 million rupees.

5) Does one need to be good at maths and physics?
You have to be good at basic maths and physics to pass Indian aviation exams. But if you are willing to put in the effort, it is not difficult to get there.

Hope this helps. Good Luck.:ok: