PDA

View Full Version : Buried in near obscurity...

737er
15th Feb 2016, 20:21
...and yet practically miraculous it even made the media.

Congratulations to my fellow aviators. What you do is amazing. Don't forget how amazing you are and also to stand up for the respect we all deserve. You most certainly have mine.

Airline accidents declined significantly in 2015 - Feb. 15, 2016 (http://money.cnn.com/2016/02/15/news/companies/airline-accidents/index.html)

737er
15th Feb 2016, 20:27
Someone needs to write a parody piece: "More people killed annually by stray aardvark farts than in all commercial aviation worldwide."

And who knows...might even be true. :ok:

Cazalet33
15th Feb 2016, 21:04
Almost nobody killed. Those that were, can be buried in near obscurity.
http://i2.cdn.turner.com/money/dam/assets/160215075154-airplane-accident-india-780x439.jpg

http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnnnext/dam/assets/150403113851-02-germanwings-crash-0403-exlarge-169.jpg
Almost nobody killed. Those that were, can be buried in near obscurity. Selection, training and monitoring standards are excellent. Nothing to see here. Look away now. Move along.

http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnnnext/dam/assets/151103132523-02-russia-plane-crash-1103-exlarge-169.jpg
Almost nobody killed. Those that were, can be buried in near obscurity.

Piltdown Man
15th Feb 2016, 21:19
So the implied advice from IATA is not to fly on turbo prop aircraft. Stick to jets and you will be safe? This cringeworthy, complacent release must have surely been penned by a moron.

PM

737er
15th Feb 2016, 22:19
Is there any accomplishment we can take some earnest group credit for without chiding ourselves? When you compare the safety of commercial flying to almost any activity it's radically more safe and considering tens of thousands of flights per day where millions are stuffed in aluminum tube miles up in lethal atmospheric conditions.....it is truly amazing what you all do. Period.

As usual though many of us are our own worst enemies.

"self-loathing and predictable". Indeed.

http://youtu.be/YaLzwMBHMps

There are not too many things in this world that work as good as commercial aviation despite the rhetoric. Deal with it or keep being mass hysteria media fodder. They love your ineptitude for critical thinking.

ExXB
16th Feb 2016, 07:20
Here (http://www.iata.org/pressroom/pr/Pages/2016-02-15-01.aspx) is IATA's press release.

Dont Hang Up
17th Feb 2016, 06:44
Look how safe we are!
So the implied advice from IATA is not to fly on turbo prop aircraft. Stick to jets and you will be safe? This cringeworthy, complacent release must have surely been penned by a moron.

PM

There is no implied advice. Only statistically based factual statements.

You may infer what you wish but don't then criticise IATA because you infer incorrectly. For example I would infer from the same data that turboprops are perfectly safe enough for me thank you. My choice, nobody else's.

The industry is as safe as it is through not being complacent. Releasing a statement showing how safe is quite reasonable and does not give lie to that.

Sober Lark
17th Feb 2016, 08:12
If we exclude suicide and terrorism it was very safe year.

If the trend is to manipulate statistics in this way, then things can only get better, can't they?

Rwy in Sight
17th Feb 2016, 09:38
If we exclude suicide and terrorism it was very safe year.

How long before we need to start tackling those issues just like we did with CFIT and in-flights collisions?

Sallyann1234
17th Feb 2016, 10:04
But you can't exclude suicide and terrorism.
As far as passengers and potential passengers are concerned 2015 was actually a very bad year. They were just as dead regardless of the cause.

17th Feb 2016, 10:32
But you can't exclude suicide and terrorism.

No, but neither of those is aviation specific.

CFIT and stalling while poorly trained and/or dog tired are...

Zorin_75
17th Feb 2016, 10:50
500 deaths a year is pretty tragic for each and one of those individuals of course. Yet road traffic manages that number in one single afternoon and nobody thinks twice about getting in their cars. Us humans are simply pretty terrible at risk assessment...

ExXB
17th Feb 2016, 13:26
Intentional hull destructions have always been excluded from IATA's accident statistics. Note they were up front in acknowledging the incidents and not trying to pretend they didn't happen.

ATC Watcher
18th Feb 2016, 06:50
Excluding Terrorism. Suicides, Cargo and business aviation from the statistics is standard , but excluding them completely is questionable and certainly debatable.
Senegal/HS125 : ATC and/or Certifying authority of the HS125 most probably failed .
Metrojet A321 : Airport security most probably failed
Germanwings A320 : Aviation medical system to detect psycho disorders did failed
ServiceAir /RD Congo A310 : Regulatory Certifying authority of airport most probably failed .
There are definitively hard lessons to be learned in the Aviation community from those 4 cases.

Also declaring that both the 8 killed in the serviceAir A310, and the patients and doctors on board the Senegalese HS125 do not count as there were not " passengers" is a highly debatable point too.

But that said , it should not take away the tremendous work on Safety IATA does , especially in Africa ,because without them pushing hard, the system would definitely by much , much worse.

ExXB
18th Feb 2016, 08:23
And that's why we have ICAO.

IATA is an airline trade association. It certainly lobbies other organisations to improve/enhance ATC, Security and national regulators, but it does focus on things directly under the control of the airlines such as CFIT.

I would imagine IATA's medical people are devoting their efforts to address psycho issues, but this is only partly under their control. Best practices will be shared, but national regulations will prevail. .

ATC Watcher
18th Feb 2016, 11:33
ExXB:And that's why we have ICAO.
Oh Absolutely, but ICAO depends on States to implement SARPS and cannot interfere unless requested.
Take Comms and surveillance in AFI region : for all the AFI States comms and surveillance are fine. No problem , you can have RVSM and all.
It is IATA who introduced IFB and offset tracking in some areas , not ICAO. Could not do it , the States below objected..
but TIA:hmm:
IATA is doing a very good job in Africa.