PDA

View Full Version : Transmission Quality of Egypt Area Control

Airmann
13th Feb 2016, 21:12
Just a word on Eqyptian Area Control.

Flying over the Meditteranian and then Sinai the quality of the transmission is atrocious, can barely understand the message. A transmission in the Egyptian FIR sounds like what a transmission in a normal FIR sounds like when it's stepped on.

This is actually a big threat. We are flying in a hot spot in the world and the last thing one needs is bad equipment making hearing a controler very difficult. Are there any discussions going on in any airlines regarding this, I.e. Mentioning it to management, talking to the officials in Egypt. As far as I am concerned it is the worst I have heard anywhere in the world.

Just to clarify I am speaking here about the transmission quality, which is obviously affected by the equipment. Not the controllers themselves.

Could the airlines flying over and into Egypt from the wealthier contrives not contribute some money tp improve conditions, after all it's their passengers flying over these regions, and they are heavy users of this airspace.

aussiefarmer
14th Feb 2016, 04:15
Problem is, Egypt gets a very succulent amount of money for overflights due to the amount of traffic they handle but, unfortunately, is one of the most corrupt countries in the world. I am certain it doesn't take much investment to provide Cairo FIR with proper coverage and equipment.

While not directly affected by the security factor, I am personally concerned about Yangoon FIR. Massive amounts of traffic at certain periods of the day and many level changes from those flying westbound all of this with a very poor radio coverage and overall quality. Oh and wait until the wet season settles in! Furthermore, 90% of traffic don't broadcast anymore...

Donovan
15th Feb 2016, 09:20
you think Egypt upper control signal is bad, then you haven't heard khartoum control!! its just a guess game! :uhoh:

Airmann
15th Feb 2016, 17:15
I have flown over Khartoum more times than I can count. There issue is range. Yes the quality is not great but it's still WAY better than what I experience in Cairo. And the closer you get to Khartoum the clearer it becomes. There's also the broadcast frequency as a back up. Egypt is just as bad when you are close to Cairo or far and with no in flight broadcast procedures in place.

727Man
15th Feb 2016, 19:13
Cairo rodger! been the same for years.