PDA

View Full Version : Florida Flyers - First week of March

Scoobster
11th Feb 2016, 22:08
I have had a bit of movement on the last choice of school where I was planning on doing some time building so have had to re-evaluate.

Planning on heading out to Florida Flyers in first week of March - on the off chance anyone else is going that time also..

Planning to do around 60 hours so any advice welcome from that side of the water for visits, airports, general, good car rental places etc.

Thought of staying in Jacksonville and driving in.

Excited!

Cheers,
Scoobster

HEMS driver
13th Feb 2016, 17:28
Jacksonville is a 30+ minute drive to a hotel, depending on where you stay. I recommend staying in St. Augustine. Florida Flyers has arrangements for good rates.

Also, Jacksonville is having a bit of a serious crime wave right now - the highest homicide rate in all of Florida. It is crazy there.

Scoobster
18th Feb 2016, 07:48
I have found a secure suburb within a Family Home.. for around $46 a night. Own Key, Own Access.. FF have recommended a hotel called merida for $210 a week but factoring exchange rate etc I think Jax works out slightly better?

Can always stay for the first week and see how I get on?

Any other recommended hotels - in a quiet area of neighbourhood?

Scoobster
18th Feb 2016, 07:49
Am also looking for cheap car rental if anyone knows of any good rental places?

spaflyer
18th Feb 2016, 13:42
Hey! I can't say anything else than is a good choice! I did my IFR/CPL/ME and time building with them and all experience has been so far GREAT. I will be there from the 16th till the 27th doing some time building and a sea plane rating down in Orlando! so if you want to meet for some drinks let me know mate!

al_renko
18th Feb 2016, 14:35
I spent 18 Nights at Rand (FAGM)Dakota Lodge in January, Tomahawk R1010,Archer R1400.On Friday the 22nd,08:00 Hrs Trial in the Robinson R22 with NAC,at 10:00Hrs flew Piper Archer with Loutzavia over the Johannesburg CBD and FNB Stadium etc,at 15:00 Hrs flew a Piper Arrow with U-Fly to the Hartbeespoort Dam etc,excellent days flying,no visas,no fingerprinting,no embassies.Have a nice day!
Al.

JQKA
18th Feb 2016, 22:37
I've been there many times and I'm going to write you whathever info you need tomorrow.
But look first of all I wil suggest you to keep an eye on craiglist.org where you can scroll down and get your cheap and nice place where to stay!!
You can share a house with someone, you can rent nice room in any condo, plenty of choices there and cheap.
JAX is not too far, but still 30 minute or more driving during the day, roads are always with WIP and speed check!!!!

for cars check this site; comparecarrent.com and choose the location then you will have something like 2/3/4 agencies, check the best for you as cheap as you can and collect the car from JAX airport, no need to sign and pay for insurance but they will try at delivery to sell for you.
Last time my friend was there last year and he spent 300USD per month for an economic car.
feel free to ask me anything you need about school, routes, etc.

al_renko
19th Feb 2016, 04:12
"300USD per month" You could by a car in Jo'Burg for that price!

Scoobster
19th Feb 2016, 13:49
Glad to see so many positive comments about Florida Flyers. I am really looking forward to it..

Well I sort of got it wrong.. I am staying in St Augustine (not Jax) in a private home and it is roughly 25 mins away from the school. For car rental I am hitting around $402 - $608 for a car at the moment for 21 days so going to shop around a bit more!

Have my 61.75 license sorted so will just need to have my BFR and 1 hour ground school to activate when am there. Will read through the FAR AIM before hand to make it as easy as possible and if there are any websites for weather or flight planning stuff like what the 2000ft, 5000ft, 10000ft wind is - Would appreciate a heads up?

I will buy sectional charts when am and plan the first week around airfields in FL - like Cedar Key, New Symra Beach etc and then maybe some further afield trips like Bimini and if I can manage it Peurto Rico - although in a SEP - not sure thats wise as it looks all like the Gulf of Mexico and flying over Water - so not sure what the FAA mandate is at the moment!

Any ideas of places to visit and good quality flights to do or even other tips would be appreciated?!

Flying buddies more than welcome!

Ta!

Scoobster

HEMS driver
19th Feb 2016, 14:26
Here is the government aviation weather site (http://aviationweather.gov/) - it includes winds aloft in the forecast tab. FltPlan.com Flight Planning & Flight Tracking. (http://www.fltplan.com) also has weather and you can file flight plans through them.

Scoobster
19th Feb 2016, 15:28
Thanks.

What kind of stuff will the 1-5 hour ground school cover as part of the 61.75 validation?

Reading through FAR/AIM at the moment...

Scoobster

HEMS driver
19th Feb 2016, 15:50
Mostly likely the applicable sections of Parts 61 and 91, including airspace, weather minimums for each class of airspace, and radio communications required.

I doubt that they and their insurance company would let you fly to Puerto Rico. Bahamas, yes.

I highly recommend buying renter's insurance. More info here (http://insurance.aopa.org/Aviation/renters-insurance).

Scoobster
19th Feb 2016, 19:49
I doubt that they and their insurance company would let you fly to Puerto Rico. Bahamas, yes.

I checked this with FF and they said that minimum requirements are 250 TT or an IR - to fly on your own to Bahamas or to Puerto Rico etc.

Can go up to the Keys as PIC/P.1 but for Bimini would need an Instructor for paid at a day rate and all incidentals/expenses.

So I guess I will stick to FL and surrounding areas and got to the keys as the furthest destination.

Scoobs

mary meagher
19th Feb 2016, 20:38
Hey Scooby, I have done lots of flying in Florida! Love it there. Especially New Smyrna beach, warm Atlantic ocean and waves. Also recommend St. Petersburg airport, and of course Albert Whitted airport, in the middle of the city, walking distance to the harbour and to rental sailboats, baseball stadium.
I used to bicycle to flying lessons at Albert Whitted.

And they have big time fly ins at various places, worth dropping in if one is taking place. Avoid Orlando, just too much heavy traffic.
Also, typical summer weather in Florida, which the airlines know very well, is clear weather near the coast, but regular afternoon thunderstorms every day when it gets hotter. And boy does it get hot. I am not aware of any aircraft with air conditioning! but for a car it is essential for survival.....

Flying down the Keys to Key West is also fine, very little over water problems. and most places walkingdistance down there.

Enjoy.

HEMS driver
19th Feb 2016, 20:42
Here is an excellent web site and app for fly-in activities:

SocialFlight (http://www.socialflight.com/index.php)

amityes2002
6th May 2016, 10:14
Hello Scoobster,

How was your Florida trip and did you manage to do 50 hours. I am planning to do 50 hours from Florida Flyers.

Would appreciate if you can share your experience and tips before I start my hour building in a weeks’ time.
:D

Thanks