PDA

View Full Version : Trouble transferring files from pc to android

Wigglyamps
11th Feb 2016, 08:34
Just wondering if any of you clever chaps/chappesses can help, I am trying to transfer some files from my pc (windows 10) to my go tab android tablet (android v4.4), when i plug in the usb cable the tablet starts to charge but there is no recognition on either computer that something has been plugged in, I have gone through various menus on the tablet but there is nothing to say 'enable usb transfer' or similar.

As ever, any help gratefully received

Wiggly

Bushfiva
11th Feb 2016, 09:50
IS the USB cable actually a data cable (most are), and not purely a charging cable?

Have you transferred files successfully before with this or any other computer?

Is your tablet in Media Device (MTP) mode (rather than, say, PTP mode)?

Go to the Settings, storage. Click the options dropdown (3 dots, 3 bars or a dedicated button with 3 dots/bars on it). An option called "USB connection" will pop up. Tap that, you will go to a screen called "USB connection mode." Select MTP.

Note some computers don't support MTP. Conversely, some versions of Android do have another option on that screen saying "card reader mode" which fixes that.

I'm working from memory here, as a bunch of stuff changed around 4.2 to 4.4.

Ant
11th Feb 2016, 17:49
I have a Samsung Android phone which did exactly the same thing. I assumed a broken charging/data port and didn't do anything about it.

Much to my surprise, the problem disappeared when we happened to update the operating system some time later, so a software issue might be a possibility with the tablet.

taxydual
11th Feb 2016, 20:24
Could you not email the files to yourself?

Assuming you can access your emails via your tablet.

cdtaylor_nats
11th Feb 2016, 22:18
I use Google Drive to share files between Android, Win 10, and Win Vista.

andytug
12th Feb 2016, 09:03
I have a much older GoTab and it has an SD card slot, so could transfer that way?

Jhieminga
12th Feb 2016, 09:56
In a similar vein as Google Drive, I would try setting up a Dropbox account and installing the app on the tablet. That works well for me.

sharmatt
12th Feb 2016, 10:30
If you set your android tablet in something called 'developer mode', it usually enables USB connections to treat an android device as a mobile drive.

Depending on your android version, getting a tablet into 'developer mode' usually involves navigating to the settings screen, clicking (or tapping) 'about' and then repeatadly tapping on the version (or build) number. After 7 or 8 taps, a pop up appears saying 'developer mode enabled'.

Then, when you plug in your USB cable to your computer, it should appear as a USB device and enable you to browse to it as if it was a USB drive.

If you google 'enabling developer mode on xxxxx' where xxxxx is the name of your tablet, you should be good to go.

Bit techy on here today, isn't it?:ok: