PDA

View Full Version : Any advice about Keilir Aviation Academy in Iceland?

kilomike_19
10th Feb 2016, 05:44
Hi there !

I'm writing here to ask for some opinions about this Icelandic FTO. I discovered their website yesterday and I'm sincerely surprised for their quality/price. They offer all the Integrated course stuff in the Diamond state on art planes and, apparently, they have a good instructor team formed by Icelandair Airline pilots.

I'm not a newbie in the search of flying schools. I researched for two years all kinds of pilot training anywhere in the world and already had decided to choose between two European schools, where (fortunately) I found this Icelandic school.

I think the offer so "perfect '' that I am afraid to be naive :8 and fall into a lackluster academy. I am aware that the great disadvantage of the school is the WEATHER (VFR flights may be affected) but I still delighted by the offer.

Do any sympathetic student or instructor could give us there personal opinion? I know I'm not the only one who would like to know more about this school?

Thank you a lot :) :) :)

maximus610
11th Feb 2016, 08:51
Hi KM,

I did my CPL and IR/MEP (from IR/SEP conversion) with them in December 2013.

Good things:

- new aircraft, well maintained;
- some good experienced instructors (many from Iceland Air and WOW);
- no landing/approach fees;
- lot of NDB approaches will learn during IR training;
- windy wx will polish your Xwind landings;
- during summer lot of day time VFR;
- local buss is running free of charge(even, with student card, free rides to Reykjavik);
- had VFR wx almost every day(I did the training in October-December);
- nice places to visit during X/country and hour building;
- if you are opting for the issue of the Icelandic License, you can get it in 1 day after your skill test, their CAA is very efficient and helpful.

Bad things:

- not very well organized for the schedules and paperwork, be prepared to double check your progress(hours, papers etc);
- they have only one DA42, multi-engine, so with many students be prepared to wait your turn, especially when is a technical issue, delays are very common;
- airport entry only with instructor;
- quite expensive country (comparing to Germany);
- not too many places to go out/party;
- during the winter the days are very short, could be depressive;
- airport staff/security are not very friendly.

If you have more questions, feel free to PM me.

Good luck!

Maximus

FrenchFlyer88
11th Feb 2016, 15:29
I also looked at this school and would be very interested in first hand experience by some that already went through their courses...

kilomike_19
12th Feb 2016, 12:17
I tried to contact them days ago by email and unfortunately I still waiting for their reply... Time to look away...