PDA

View Full Version : What's it like working for Qatar Airways?

j4mi3
7th Feb 2016, 08:09
There's a lot of EK discussion going on, and I'm just wondering if Qatar is any better. I've heard they have improved a lot recently.

It'd be nice to hear from anyone working for them or just people in the know.

Thanks

j4mi3
9th Feb 2016, 16:59
839 views 0 replies

specifically interested in a320 by the way, but any info is good

Iznogood
9th Feb 2016, 17:11
To be eligible for Qatar you need to be patient...that's all I know.

UAL777
10th Feb 2016, 00:58
Stay away from Qatar Airways. Horrible place to work with third world loser pilots..Emirates has issues also. The airline from Abu Dhabi is the best choice..I have worked for Qatar and the airline from Abu Dhabi. The airline from Abu Dhabi is a great place to work...There is nothing good about QR...nothing..

lfbb
10th Feb 2016, 12:34
It's a very decent job and offers the best package on the market IMO. But as you can "see" above it is not for everyone, got to be centered, mind set and balanced to work here since things are not always easy. Pretty much the characteristics expected from a pilot, if you come with a mind set like the guy above the job (or maybe flying as a captain) is not for you. Please be more specific on your questions so we can help you better.
Regards.

Metro man
10th Feb 2016, 12:58
FWIW I work for a low cost and we have had several pilots join us from QATAR Airways, none of them had anything good to say, and some said that the real horror stories were worse. I.e. Captain charged first class fare for using that cabin for his rest when he should have used business class.

However, high turnover may be leading to a realisation that it pays to treat staff properly as the package is apparently improving.

Best to talk to a currently employed QA pilot regarding conditions rather than someone who got terminated two years ago.

mmorel
10th Feb 2016, 15:38
qatar airways is best airline to work for :) good money , for the last couple of months I was always get two block of 4 days off in a row and average block time flying is around 60 hours.avoid Emirate .

Southpole
11th Feb 2016, 07:55
While I was in training I was listening all kind of stories.. Pilots fired for all reasons. Then I went myself to check these stories and everytime it was not for a single reason but for an incredible chain of bad events all related to the pilots.
So urban legends can be heard everywhere.
Qatar airways changed a lot in the past years so the nowadays airlines is not even close to that one of just 4 years ago.
I am very happy.
people who have problems and leave the company would probably talk you bad about any place they are leaving or forced to leave...
Talk to people inside and maybe you can have another picture.
Then it is left to you to understand if you can fit in a different airline and different part of the world.
At the moment I regret not to have come way earlier!

lfbb
11th Feb 2016, 08:20
As you can see, the ones actually working for QR nowadays don't have much to complain about, probably on the past things were really unbareble. I'm on 320 and the only bad thing I've got to say is that the destinations served by this fleet are getting worst every month, not many options when it comes to layovers and too many Pakistan/India night flights. Some times it feels like I work for PIA or Air India, other than that I'm 101% satisfied with my decision to come, actually regret not to come earlier.

320goat
11th Feb 2016, 14:05
I agree with the above.

Life here is good at the moment. We used to be the poor relation in the Gulf, but I would say we are probably a better bet than some others at the moment.

I keep saying at the moment because things can change, just look at the numerous EK threads that run!

I would say that the reason not many people are posting is because they are generally happy, again look at the EK threads.....

GOFF days every month, transparent online leave grid with full leave allocated every year, good package with savings plan now similar to EK, no bonus but overtime paid in April/May.

Doha can be a pain, company culture is not as bad as some people would make out (my training was excellent with emphasis on training), don't get me wrong you can get fired here for a lot less than any UK airline, but there is usually a bit of history when people are let go.

320g

PanAmFalcon
12th Feb 2016, 07:17
It's like eating a stale croissant! It's only good while you're hungry.

UAL777
13th Feb 2016, 00:43
Well said Pan Am...Hit the nail on the head..

Huw Jorgan
16th Feb 2016, 10:17
Will the fresh croissant ever be available again? I left QR and wished I hadnt!

Che Xindamail
16th Feb 2016, 17:53
QR has a system for pilots that have left and wish to return.

Provided you left on a good note, paid your bond, etc they do not hold a grudge and you will be welcome back. I know several pilots that have resigned and returned, one guy did it twice!

As said things have improved a lot in the past four years. Not just remuneration but the whole company attitude has become more relaxed and 'humane' than before. For example, where training used to be punitive there is now extra training available for those that need it, all with the aim of getting pilots to pass. Training here is generally very good.

In contrast to our cousins down the road, we also have 42 days guaranteed annual leave that the company is not allowed to roll over.

A330 LHS and 750hr/year.

j4mi3
16th Feb 2016, 19:23
thanks for the insight Che

Ldggrup
29th Feb 2016, 17:45
It is good to hear about Qatar. Atleast somewhere some people are atleast praising and are happy working for QR.

I was in the pool and got the joining date for July for B T7..

Anyone here flying 777 for QR, would like to ask few questions regarding roster, destinations, rest time, etc..

Also i heard people dont stay in company accomo.. What are the options outside?

josmison
29th Feb 2016, 20:26
Hi guys

Good to hear that things have improved in qatar. However i heard that Doha is quite and expensive city. As an fo with a family of 3 can you actually save much ?

Thanks

Rigid Body
1st Mar 2016, 03:48
additionally could anyone volunteer info on
-where the company offers accommodation to new FOs?
-average block hours per month?
-average days off per month on the 330/320?

cheers

FlyingOW
1st Mar 2016, 13:40
It is good to hear about Qatar. Atleast somewhere some people are atleast praising and are happy working for QR.

I was in the pool and got the joining date for July for B T7..

Anyone here flying 777 for QR, would like to ask few questions regarding roster, destinations, rest time, etc..

Also i heard people dont stay in company accomo.. What are the options outside?

I am on B777, lhs, averaging 77 hours per month for FY2015/16 (1 month left). This kind of flying in a T7 is conducive to lots of time off and quality time at home.

Cheers,

OW

PS. Leave bidding system works and as Che says, you have to take all 42 days, even in your first year! And the annexing of a string of off-days before and/or after is a real bonus!!

j4mi3
1st Mar 2016, 16:37
FlyingOW

Thanks for the insight, it sounds like you're really enjoying it there then and find it a good place to work, am I correct?

What are the negatives (if any) and are these significant enough to say to others not to come?

pm me if you prefer

thanks

Che Xindamail
2nd Mar 2016, 13:05
The first month or two after arriving will test your patience. You will be starting your training while at the same time dealing with all the administrative things such as getting your residency permit, driving license, company- and government medicals etc, in a never ending string of "character building" tasks.

To make your life simple, and avoid major frustrations, prepare the following before arriving:

Bring an international driving license and go online to book a rental car before you get here. It is absolutely necessary to have your own wheels as QR will only provide transportation for the first week.

If you plan to bring your family, get your marriage certificate, children's birth certificates and children's last two years' school reports certified by the Qatari Embassy in your home country. Contact the embassy directly for guidelines. You will need to have school reports certified by your Ministry of Education, and marriage/birth certificates certified by your Ministry of Foreign Affairs (or equivalent) before presenting them to the Qatari embassy for their chop. This is absolutely necessary in order to get your family's residency permit and school places. These documents then need to be translated into Arabic by a translation agency in Doha. Yep, really.

Get in touch with schools before you arrive and find out exactly what is needed in order to get a place. You will need to present all above mentioned documents to the Supreme Education Council in Doha for their approval for your child to start school.

QR will assist you in opening a bank account and will give you an advance of half a month's salary when you arrive. Until then all ATMs accept foreign bank cards for cash withdrawals.

Joining is a frustrating exercise of bureaucracy and QR can only do so much to assist you but once you are settled and everything is in place QR is a good job and Doha is a decent place to live if you keep your expectations realistic!

LZ-DOC
2nd Mar 2016, 19:44
For those who want to try - I had a peek at QR right from the fence...
I failed the sim.
I was not perfect, but I did enough to pass. IMHO.
The thing that really p----d me off was that I offered to give them feedback about the assessor - they just politely told me to reapply in 6 months.
The assessor made 2 significant mistakes, that upset my exercise.
You can judge for yourself.
1. After the LOFT I was repo for a NPA in OBBI. The sim was not properly synchronized - the a/c symbol was almost on the radial while the display was showing a x-track error of more than 18 miles!!! I was flying it managed lateral but the a/c never intercepted the radial. Just flew through it. I pointed out to the assessor that something was wrong with the sim. His reaction was "It's OK".
2. I was repo for the raw data ILS, A/T on, F2, but during the sim reset the assessor forgot to arm APP PHASE. That's his job, by the way. I failed to notice that and when he released the sim, the a/c rushed to reacquire 250 knots. I said again something's wrong and he had to freeze the sim again as we almost went into flap overspeed.
I believe Airbus pilots will understand very well what happened. There is no benefit from introducing these kind of problems on purpose during an assessment. So I am sure he was just having a bad day at the office. Unfortunately for me!
The guy was quite old. He last flew the A300 for QR, or so he said. His present job is only assessment. So he should have known better. I believe he was Lebanese/Jordanian/Egyptian.
The F/O I was paired with made it and was accepted.
You can draw your own conclusions...
By the way I am not reapplying.
Good luck!

gatbusdriver
3rd Mar 2016, 03:03
Sorry to hear about your experience. I have to say mine was completely different. Very nice Mexican chap running the sim, very relaxed. In fact my training as a whole was excellent on the 777, although I did have one line instructor who could have looked up the word trainer in the dictionary!

I am surprised to hear you had managed Lateral Nav engaged or A/T for that matter, when I went through my assessment everything was off!

Regards

RockyMntAV8R
3rd Mar 2016, 12:05
I have a question for any current Qatar pilot. I heard that no employee family member under 12 years of age is allowed to sit in business class on your annual vacation ticket, is this true? If so what about on an ID90 or ID50 ticket?
Thanks,
Rocky

Flyboy_SG
4th Mar 2016, 08:42
LZ DOC, Was he a dark chap from some African country? Djibouti or something. He takes only assessment sims. 16 years with QR, ex A300.

Flyboy_SG
4th Mar 2016, 08:45
J4,

At 22, you shouldn't be thinking even twice before joining QR. if you get it, just go for it. It's a good company for career progression and Doha is a decent place as all the veterans here have commented. But make sure you :oh: and speak up only when needed.

As a second officer at QR, I must say your joining as one of the worlds best airline at right time. Qatar is progressing and will open up plenty of opportunities for fleet transfers and upgrades. But don't expect to be treated well. As always, high expectations leads to disappointment.

Good luck :ok:

freddi16
4th Mar 2016, 10:00
Good morning to all of you
How is the life style in term of roster on the 320 fleet

Cheers

tomuchwork
4th Mar 2016, 21:06
I worked for them a while ago. I can jsut say, all horror stories are true, some even worse when they happen to you.

While I was there a couple of guys(i knew some of them) got either denoted or even fired for stupid reasons(one for instance made a "firm" - not a hard, landing and got fired, he was a FO). Then some local from the famous flying college which all went straight up as FO on 330 with 150 hours under their bellies and did a couple of real hard landings there(cost them a fortune plus a grounded 330) and NOTHING happened to them. That's QR company culture.

I personally I had a few encounters with great QR company culture, for instance continuous roster changes, got OFF days on outstations while on layover and so on. Crewing was never reachable, door always locked(old crewbuilding), did not lift the phone, never replied to emails. Frustrating.

I do not believe all this BS that they became better, not as long good old Al Baker boy is running the show.

Doha itself was a dump, now, years later I bet it is still the same but with more high office towers. And for sure still the same "flash mob style traffic jams", sometimes even at 2300....

Still shivering when I think back to my time with QR ;) . Glad I left them on my own terms for good.

@freddi

My knowledge about the 320 guys is a bit rusty as well, but back then they used to fly every night, sometime 6 in a row. You realized that this is a 320 guy when you thought - hey, he looks like a zombie. And this means something because even on the widebody we did tons of nightflying(which just kills you, even more if you get older). I often landed in the morning in Doha just to do another flight out on the same day(evening). If you want narrow body get some low cost in europe instead of killing yourself down there. My 10 cents. Take it or leave it.

j4mi3
5th Mar 2016, 13:14
I worked for them a while ago. I can jsut say, all horror stories are true, some even worse when they happen to you.

While I was there a couple of guys(i knew some of them) got either denoted or even fired for stupid reasons(one for instance made a "firm" - not a hard, landing and got fired, he was a FO). Then some local from the famous flying college which all went straight up as FO on 330 with 150 hours under their bellies and did a couple of real hard landings there(cost them a fortune plus a grounded 330) and NOTHING happened to them. That's QR company culture.

I personally I had a few encounters with great QR company culture, for instance continuous roster changes, got OFF days on outstations while on layover and so on. Crewing was never reachable, door always locked(old crewbuilding), did not lift the phone, never replied to emails. Frustrating.

I do not believe all this BS that they became better, not as long good old Al Baker boy is running the show.

Doha itself was a dump, now, years later I bet it is still the same but with more high office towers. And for sure still the same "flash mob style traffic jams", sometimes even at 2300....

Still shivering when I think back to my time with QR ;) . Glad I left them on my own terms for good.

@freddi

My knowledge about the 320 guys is a bit rusty as well, but back then they used to fly every night, sometime 6 in a row. You realized that this is a 320 guy when you thought - hey, he looks like a zombie. And this means something because even on the widebody we did tons of nightflying(which just kills you, even more if you get older). I often landed in the morning in Doha just to do another flight out on the same day(evening). If you want narrow body get some low cost in europe instead of killing yourself down there. My 10 cents. Take it or leave it.

Thanks for the insight. How long were you there for, and can you find some positives to share with us as well?

tomuchwork
5th Mar 2016, 21:22
@j4mi3

I did nearly 3 years with them.

Nice things? Maybe some of the collegues, I remember the cadets I used to fly with, nice fellas, mainly brits if I recall right. Was nice actually to have someone to have a chat with without always being scared to say something wrong. Had as well some southamerican FOs on the fleet, a pleasure to fly with as well.

On the other hand then some locals reading in the coran for the entire flight(no BS) and doing other weird things.

So, coming up with stuff I liked, even after a lot of years(and normally you see things more relaxed after a couple of years) is very hard for me.

Another thing that comes to my mind what I really always hated - the yearly lies when Mr.B promised us payrises and retirement(lol).

If you look nowadays in the EK thread then it seems as well this once nice company went south, don't want to start about the "unspeakable" other carrier in the UAE.
Seems the ME will be having troubles filling their pilot ranks over the next couple of years because a lot of experienced pilots returning back home to greener ;) lands or going even further away into the chinese market(brrr).

Depends really on your personal preferences in life - money or having a life. Hard to accomplish both.

ktjoseph
22nd Sep 2016, 03:12
Hi I'm also interested in the MPL program, how can I pm you?

as you can see, I'm new to this forum

some help would be great thanks