PDA

View Full Version : CASA Approvals For Electronics.

Sunfish
6th Feb 2016, 19:31
There are a number of electronics items that are apparently acceptable for aviation use in the USA but don't see to meet Australias "unique" CASA requirements. Examples include the Enigma low cost ADS-B system, and some of Dynons products notably its sky view radio and latest GPS and transponder combo that are apparently an acceptable ADS-B solution to the FAA.

I have heard rumblings that CASA were asked to consider "accepting" (approval is probably too strong a word) these types of products last year, but nothing has been heard since. I would have thought CASA might be proactive on this subject because this trickle of products is one day going to become a flood.

Without getting in to the question of exactly why we insist on reinventing uniquely strange and expensive solutions to simple problems, has anyone heard any news on this subject?

27/09
6th Feb 2016, 21:29
Some of the US solutions are unique to the US as they use UAT 978.

The US ADSB system supports 1090 ES and UAT 978 whereas many other parts of the world only support 1090 ES.

Are the Dynon and Enigma systems 1090 ES or just UAT 978?

thorn bird
6th Feb 2016, 21:36
"Without getting in to the question of exactly why we insist on reinventing uniquely strange and expensive solutions to simple problems, has anyone heard any news on this subject?"

Possibly two reasons.

1. Because we can.

2. Because directors bonuses are directly proportional to what it costs the industry.

Regarding the news, I believe the CAsA task force tasked with reinventing the wheel has absorbed so many staff "experts", even the tea lady and the pot plant tenderer, there is none left who can reinvent the news.

Jabawocky
6th Feb 2016, 22:00
27/09
They are 1090ES TSO'd transponders, what Sunny is referring to is the GPS source.

Sunny…as for things being approved…..I am now 3 years down the road (2013) from a CASA project, from which all we have had is a response acknowledging receipt of the submission, and a phone call in Nov 2015 saying we want to get this job done and were glad to have my help. It is now Feb 2016.

:zzz: :zzz:

Good luck with anything new! :eek: Especially if it makes sense and is ok in the USA.

Sunfish
11th Feb 2016, 02:03
As usual the enigma AdSb solution won't make it to market in time to build crucial market share. Garmin has just come out with an "all in one" solution that is approved. Thanks CASA, another Australian product sabotaged by Canberra.

Jabawocky
11th Feb 2016, 02:16
Sunny,

I sat in on some meetings in Cantberra a few years ago with the major players including the folk mentioned above. :ugh::ugh::ugh: is all I can say.

I had a phone call from a lovely chap yesterday about other engineering topics, responding to advice and educational content for their AWB publications. They guy who phoned me was great, it was just 2.5 years ago I started it off. I had trouble remembering what I sent back then.

Things move at a glacial pace. If we hope for more, we are disappointed.

Add that to my post above and you have to ask why do i do it to myself? :ugh: